Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • HGVs and driving during Red Weather alerts
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Well said 1981miked

uselesshippy
    Free Member

It’s not just the drivers wages, what about the shop staff, engineering works staff, warehouse staff, building site workers etc. If the trucks don’t deliver their goods, there will be no work. Whose paying the wages?

Snow chains are great on deep snow, but if it isn’t deep enough, they just destroy the road underneath.

cchris2lou

Here in France , HGVs were banned this week on my local roads and motorways . Anything above 7.5t .

I rely on deliveries for my job , but I ordered a bit more last week knowing the snow was on its way .

wilburt
    Free Member

Yes ban them all:  bad weather should = fewer desperate minimum wage people smashing around in big vehicles.

1981miked
    Free Member

Wilburt = bellend

Nice to see your not judgemental of people because of how they make a living to put food on the table.

I am neither desperate or on the minimum wage but I’m sure we all appreciate your valuable input into the transport industry.

pondo

I’ve done a lot of miles these last few days but the only active bellendery I’ve seen has been by car drivers. I’ve seen some HGVs going quicker than I care to, but nowhere near as many as speedy car drivers.

jordie
    Free Member

Really dont normally comment on these this but I spent my childhood s<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>chool holidays trucking on the road with my dad </span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>, Some great memories and seen so much of this great country. It’s not a easy job at all with all the time pressures of today yes there is some really poor drivers out there but the worst driving I have seen this weekend from car drivers. Anybody remember the fuel protests a few years ago will remember after a couple of days the country we grinding to a halt. Snow chains really are not suitable for this country on motorways and yes winter tyres are a great idea however it will lead to us the public paying more for stuff which we have. I think the police / salt trucks really need to be more cordinated and have some sort of plan rather than keep everybody running until it goes wrong. </span>

crapjumper
    Free Member

Wot 1981miked said ⬆️

vickypea
    Free Member

It’s not just lorry drivers who don’t get paid on ‘snow days’. That goes for a lot of other jobs too.

poly
    Free Member

and yes winter tyres are a great idea however it will lead to us the public paying more for stuff which we have

It it would be interesting to see a proper economic analysis of that.  I wonder what the impact of effectively closing 80% of Scotland’s income generation down for three+ days? That will be measurable on GDP which means indirectly we are all paying for it anyway (less tax income, less growth so salaries don’t increase).  Not to mention the cost of the emergency services, contractors etc who have to do the job of clearing the stuck vehicles from the motorways.

mugsys_m8

1981MikeD raises some very valid points.

I think the idea of charging to park vehicles at services etc. is dangerous, and profiteering. Drivers should be able to park up.

Maybe Sunday opening isn’t such a good idea…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

What 1981 Miked said.

Regarding stopping trucks from moving on a Sunday,I drive artics for one of the ‘big 4’ Supermarkets & the depot only closes from late night Christmas eve until early morning Boxing Day,something like 28 hours.Stores don’t open Easter Sunday but we deliver to them.The reason for this almost non stop service is that the great British public want to go to the shops 7 days a week,so until people stop shopping on Sundays we’re forced to drive.

The other month I was talking to the manager at a store in the Calder valley,he was telling me that he had to commute ‘over the tops’,I said I bet that’s fun in the ice & snow,he replied that it wasn’t much of a problem for him as he had winter tyres fitted & he could get through when people in 4 x 4’s couldn’t as they had low profile tyres fitted.Maybe it should be a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted to all vehicles? Good luck with getting that law passed!

Wilburt I wouldn’t put up with the stress & negativity that I put up with on a weekly basis without being paid well…

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘HGVs and driving during Red Weather alerts’ is closed to new replies.