Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Heston's Fat Duck – is it worth a trip?
  • richpips
    Free Member

Deffo worth it for me because 1 great meal >>> 10 shit takeaways.

Yes, I’d rather eat out once a year and pay rather than eat some of the stuff we’ve eaten in “restaurants” and “home cooked food pubs” this year.

In fact me and my lad did a trip last half term and ate out for four days and nights. Most of the food was cr_*_p.

chewkw
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

Need a meal before you go. I’d come out hungry if I didn’t.

edhornby – Member

I went to a restaurant that does this kind of stuff, an ex-staff member, had a 6 course taster and I was hungry afterwards. dissapointing.

😯 You paid that amount to get hungry?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IHN, sorry! Lack of sleep plus a curry and a beer has addled my brain! No offence meant, I assure you! Just didn’t read things right! 🙂

In fact me and my lad did a trip last half term and ate out for four days and nights. Most of the food was cr_*_p.

Well, you just ate in shit places then, really. I rarely have a bad meal “out”, and mainly because I like to choose a nice place to eat.

druidh
    Free Member

+1

It has to come down to an individual choice. For me, £400 would be an obscene amount of money to spend on a couple of meals. Maybe that’s because I just wouldn’t be able to/have pretensions about appreciating it enough. At the same time, there will be things I would spend that amount of money on that many other folk might consider trivial, wasteful or unnecessary,

theotherjonv

I don’t see anyone being shouted down for spending £400 on a pair of wheels…

True. But the point I’m making is that if I buy a £400 pair of wheels, it’ll be something I’ve worked hard for and likely will be the only pair I’ll buy for a couple of years. If I was rich enough to buy a pair a month, I’d struggle to think that that’s OK, I should probably look to do something better with the excess cash.

richpips
    Free Member

Well, you just ate in shit places then, really. I rarely have a bad meal “out”, and mainly because I like to choose a nice place to eat.

Cycling point to point 50+ miles a day unless it’s round London is unlikely to give “choices” luvvy.

IHN

If I spend £160 on a meal out, it’ll be something I’ve worked hard for and likely will be the only meal like that I’ll buy for a couple of years. If I was rich enough to eat out like that once every month, I’d struggle to think that that’s OK, I should probably look to do something better with the excess cash.

tomhoward

What if the folks spending £200 a head on a meal also give similar amounts to charity? Is it allowed that we enjoy ourselves then?

Edit: what ihn said +1

higgo
    Free Member

Ignoring some of what’s written above, let me give you my view.

Me and Mrs Higs are not massively wealthy by any means but every now and again we like to splash out on a spectacular meal. We get a lot of pleasure from it.

We’ve eaten at ‘Michelin’ restaurants in the UK and abroad, the last being Gauthier which was just fabulous.

L’enclume is on our list because we’re not far away and we fancy it.

The Fat Duck is on our list because we think it is probably the best food you can eat in this country. There is a lot of invention there and you could call it ‘novelty’ (as a lot of it is new) but Michelin inspectors don’t hand out stars for novelty. They award stunning food.

theotherjonv

IHN – that’s pretty much what i said.

tomhoward – I’m OK with spending that much on a meal, whether you give similar to charity or not. If you’ve earned it, you’re entitled to spend it as you like.

But it’s when that becomes an ordinary thing to do, i’d struggle to justify spending that much on a meal routinely when you could do far better things with the money.

-> IMHO <-

[edit] If you’re so rich you can afford to eat out like that routinely, and still be hugely philanthropic as well – I’m not sure on that. Does a few hundred a month make much difference if you’re already (for sake of argument) donating 10’s or 100’s of thousand? On one hand you’re giving plenty, on the other, every £160 is valuable. I don’t have an answer to everything.

It’s when you have enough disposable income that you can afford to spend big chunks on posh meals and bikes but in doing so don’t put some of that aside to support charity or the like, i think that isn’t right.

boblo
    Free Member

The question was have you been not can you justify it to a load of hypocritical, pious IT bores…

I had a weekend down there. Stayed at the Waterside and had dinner there then lunch next day at the Fat Duck.

Both very good in very different ways. Waterside typical French homage to food, Fat Duck bonkers food theatre. Not cheap but you know that when you go and no one forces you through the door.

It’s probably one that if you have to ask ‘is it worth it?’ you probably shouldn’t go.

theotherjonv

The question was have you been not can you justify it to a load of hypocritical, pious IT bores

If you’re going to be pedantic, the thread title is ‘is it worth a trip?’

It’s a forum, not a straight Q&A site. Since when has answering the question ever been important, we come here to shout opinions out until everyone else gives in.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Get a grip people, suggesting that people who can afford a £200 meal should donate a similar amount to charity is a sanctimonious notion from the mind of cretin. Unless you are removed from the production/consumer/capitalist society that we live in you are talking out of your arse. If you have opted out of society what are you doing on the Internet? Shouldnt you be knitting youghurt or something? And for that matter on a hive of middle management MTB upgrade angst, ‘cheap’ tablets and bean to cup coffee machines.

pb2

Any one know what a pop up is ?????????

“I went to a pop-up restaurant run by one of last year’s Masterchef The Professionals’ finalists a few months ago. £45/head for the set (only) menu, I don’t have much money and it was possibly the best value meal I’ve ever eaten (and certainly the best).”

I would also like to know where this place because £45 pp is great value.

Higgo save a place for me on your next posh nosh jolly 😀

midlifecrashes

Read about this Fat Duck and Waterside Inn Bray about fifteen years ago, had a couple of hours to kill in Bray, went for a wander and couldn’t find either. Ended up having dinner in an American diner called Eddie Rockets’s. Pretty good it was, but bit disappointed no to have found this gourmet place. Anyway, we got home the next day and it turns out there’s a Bray in Berkshire too, not just the one South of Dublin I knew of!

Philby

LOL @ midlifecrashes

boblo
    Free Member

Now Midlife in Dublin you know you should have been in Shanahan’s…. 🙂

Nick

pb2 – I think a pop up is a restaurant that exists just for the night

http://claire-hutchings.co.uk/the-kitchen-garden-cafe-pop-up-7th-8th-of-january/

chiefgrooveguru

I would also like to know where this place because £45 pp is great value.

My previous thread on this ‘pop-up’

They were using a place that’s a cafe during the day and normally shut in the evenings, so they share the kitchen for prep and then take over the whole place for the evenings. Allows you to open a restaurant for a few months with low investment and overheads. If she opens one near you, go!

IHN

IHN – that’s pretty much what i said.

Yeah, I think we’re agreeing violently 🙂

Anyway, it’s my 40th in 18 months and hints have been dropped as to where I’d like to celebrate it…

spacemonkey

Check out the TA reviews … the first one was posted by a couple who spent £750/head for Xmas lunch 😯

Some friends went there about 2 years ago (back when they were a bit lush). Said it was the best meal ever and the same cost as their overseas holiday that summer!

Nobby

We were thinking about trying the Fat Duck for our anniversary next April & saw the ‘taster menu’ (as he calls it) @ £195 a head. Know a few that have been over the years and each has said it’s a real experience, not just food.

The Hand & Flowers is in the same neck of the woods & the food there is fantastic – well worth a visit if you don’t want Heston’s prices. The venison is mind-blowingly good there 🙂

Kryton57

Watching Masterchef makes you feel that it could well be money well spent for a special treat. I was lucky enough to go to Waterside

I took Mrs Kryton for the (what was then) “Romantic night away” package at the Waterside Inn, which is where I proposed to her, awwwww. We met Michel Rouge Jnr.

FWIW, excellent food, more champagne than I could shake a stick at, tour of the kitchen, and impeccable service, even a lobster which was de-shelled then replaced in a lobster shape on a silver platter in front of us. Fantastic champagne breakfast also.

P.S. If you do the same, don’t hide the engagement ring in the car, forgetting the valet service will promptly whip the car away on your arrival… 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Pop Up’s” happen all the time in That Larndarn. Some of them are exceptional and others utter garbage, pop over to the top of Brick Lane, or indeed the Old Trumans Brewery building and you’ll find a few just around the corner in the Arches..
    Now’t new that.
    And we have Vans and Stalls that make/create exceptional food, and no, no they’re not Kebab Stands before you lot shout “we’ve got one of those too, burp”

Thing is, it’s hard to define good/bad ones. Queues around them often denotes a good un’ but we’ve eaten at a couple that have been just above Mutta Panear hell..
    Still lots of good quality places to eat without spending £200 a head.. but like most things in life, “You pays yer money, you takes yer choice” Can’t influence the Punter.

Talking of which I spent a very long lazy weekend down at River Cottage early on in the year, now then if you are talking about quality of food, then I can recommend either Hugh’s Cottage or is Canteen in Axe. You don’t have to pay £200.00 for good quality food, but you do have to get there.. We stayed in Lyme which has a fabulous “boutique” hotel called No1 if anyone’s interested.

And a Michelin Star isn’t always a good sign of quality food.

geoffj

Talking of which I spent a very long lazy weekend down at River Cottage early on in the year, now then if you are talking about quality of food, then I can recommend either Hugh’s Cottage or is Canteen in Axe. You don’t have to pay £200.00 for good quality food, but you do have to get there.. We stayed in Lyme which has a fabulous “boutique” hotel called No1 if anyone’s interested.

Nice idea that bb. Sounds more like my kind of thing tbh.

chiefgrooveguru

pb2 – I think a pop up is a restaurant that exists just for the night

http://claire-hutchings.co.uk/the-kitchen-garden-cafe-pop-up-7th-8th-of-january/

That’s her! Bloody good chef!

missnotax
    Free Member

I had dinner at the River Cottage HQ in the summer and it was lovely – very simple food but beautifully cooked and a great atmosphere.

I would still love to go to the Fat Duck though – i’m 40 in a few years so fingers crossed!

pb2

Thanks for the links to Claires website, I’m going to give one of her pop ups a go in the new year. Top job !

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

depending where in the North you are , Nutters in Rochdale does really good fine dining , not as wacky or as dear as fat **** but very innovative nevertheless and a decent amount of scran

hilldodger
    Free Member

1 meal/month at Fat Duck or similar is cheaper than a months worth of “generic high street coffee outlet” Fwappacrappachino and muffin/day – I know which I prefer to spend my cash on………..

joao3v16
    Free Member

It probably is worth it if food’s your thing, as that Heston bloke seems pretty unique in what he comes up with.

Although for £160 a head, I’d expect some kind of spiritual or out-of-body experience, or witness some kind of Bibical miracle, rather than just a bit of food.

I’m not even going to try and understand why anyone thinks spending that much money on some food for 1 person is a good idea 😕

(He says, having just had a £3000 insurance claim just for a push bike) 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not even going to try and understand why

Taste.

rusty90
    Free Member

Although for £160 a head, I’d expect some kind of spiritual or out-of-body experience

I think that’s more or less what they’re trying to offer. Anything that can get Michel Roux Jr shaking his head in amazement and saying “Wow, this is just incredible” must be pretty special. Although I doubt he had to shell out the £160.

Steve77
    Free Member

The Fat Duck isn’t the only restaurant with a molecular gastronomy menu so if you’re not sure you’ll appreciate that style you can start with a cheaper one. If someone wanted to get into biking you wouldn’t tell them to start out by buying the best bike in the world

chewkw
    Free Member

As long as you don’t go hungry after the expensive meal then go for it even if it means £1K per head. Money should not be your limit if you call yourself food expert.

But what I don’t get is that when you pay that amount to get hungry … if that’s the case they “see you coming” …

ormondroyd
    Free Member

It’s basically up there with the very best in the world, and it’s a few hundred quid. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Best hotels in the world = £1000s per night
    Hire the best car in the world for a day? Circa £20k to hire a Veyron.
    Even the best tickets for the biggest sporting events, thousands of pounds.

By contrast, eat at one of the very best restaurants in the world… £200 plus service. Bit of a bargain in comparison.

loum
    Free Member

It’s become the aspirational brand in Britain’s second great hobby, eating. And used clever (free) marketing on Britain’s other great hobby to get there.
    And the £200-per-head cost is part of that marketing plan to keep it aspirational. The food may be good, probably excellent to be fair, but that’s not the reason for the price.
    I’d be interested to know if anyone goes regularly. A good test of whether a restaurant really is worth it is if you go back. If the food really is that good, you go again.
    If it’s not so much about the food, but boasting to Tarquin and Felicity at the golf club about the latest trip out in the Audi, then that box only needs one tick.

cupra
    Free Member

Taking a different tack on this after watching masterchef last night – do the processes take more ‘goodness’ out of the food than ‘normal’ cooking or does it make little difference? e.g. cooking onions for 96 hours in a plastic bag and vacum ‘cooking’ fruit. Just a question for those with more knowledge than me.

IHN

A good test of whether a restaurant really is worth it is if you go back.

There were some folks on Masterchef last night who seemed to be regulars.

And the £200-per-head cost is part of that marketing plan to keep it aspirational. The food may be good, probably excellent to be fair, but that’s not the reason for the price.

I think the near 1-1 chef to customer ratio may be a strong factor in the price.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I found the Masterchef bit made the Fat Duck a bit too **** for ****’s sake.

Of the series, I’ve found Tom Kerridge of the Hand and Flowers the most appealing of the Top Chefs. He comes across as a down to earth chap who makes good food to Michelin standard without all the pretension.

Next time I’m near Marlow I’m going

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Heston's Fat Duck – is it worth a trip?’ is closed to new replies.