Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Heston's Fat Duck – is it worth a trip?
  • geoffj

It looks interesting, but possibly a little fussy for my uncouth northern tastes.
    Anyone been – is it good?

tomhoward

I looked into it, but £160 a head plus drinks put me and my uncouth northern Wallet tastes off. Would love to go though!

wallop

Find somewhere decent closer to home. Whereabouts oop north are you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wooobob

I’d love to go. I’ve got to say, Masterchef has been brilliant, but this is just incredible. Really creative, interesting food.

bruneep

Need a meal before you go. I’d come out hungry if I didn’t.

druidh
    Free Member

If you can afford to spend that sort of money on a meal, then go for it.

geoffj

Whereabouts oop north are you?

Perthshire

IHN

I think it looks in-sodding-credible.

Honestly, I think £160 is a snip for food of that quality, artistry and originality.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve not been to the Fat Duck but we went to his pub, The Hinds Head, which is just along the road from the Fat Duck and it was incredible.

I’m not normally one for all the fancy poncey food that they do in the tv programmes but the food in there was fantastic, possibly the best food I’ve tasted.
    It wasn’t too expensive either, cost us about £300 for meals and drinks for 5 of us.

anagallis_arvensis

looked like food for **** to me, if some **** with a broom up his shirt has to tell you how to eat it they’ve gone too far.

rewski
    Free Member
    edhornby

I went to a restaurant that does this kind of stuff, an ex-staff member, had a 6 course taster and I was hungry afterwards. dissapointing.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Not been the the Fat Duck myself but would love to go, and will do one day.

If you’re oop north and fancy something similar (though not quite as spectacular) then give Simon Rogan’s restaurant L’enclume a try. Its in Cartmel (south of the Lakes) and well worth a visit. Not as eye-wateringly expensive as the FD, though not cheap by any stretch, and you’re much more likely to get a booking.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’d go, and my missis keeps dropping hints.

Have been to Sat Bains in Nottingham and had the “chefs table” where Sat and his team bring out each of 13 courses and explain where the produce is from, and how it is prepared.

Also had the wine package with our own sommelier who brought a different wine to match each course. Sounds a bit poncy, but it was incredible how tasting a wine before the food, and then after, really brought out complementary flavour.

I still reckon that at just shy of £200 a head it was actually the best value meal I’ve ever had. It surprises me to say that, but it’s true.

So, if you can afford the trip, and don’t mind the journey, go for it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Watching Masterchef makes you feel that it could well be money well spent for a special treat. I was lucky enough to go to Waterside round the corner and that was amazing. We then walked past the FD and peered through the windows like little kids.

L’Enclume does get good reviews including this recent one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/9703898/1010-for-Cumbrias-LEnclume-restaurant.html

£89 makes it “seem” good value!!

richpips
    Free Member

My inlaws in their retirement have been doing the Michelin circuit.

They thoroughly enjoyed it there, different but still good.

We were bought back some of the sweets. Yummy.

But I couldn’t get the tobacco to light when I rolled it in a rizla.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes I went but it was about 10 years ago, before it became “famous”.

It was good back then, but really it was still a “gastro pub” and for that I liked it, but now?? Now all he pinkies have been ?

Not too sure I’d go again, Shirley there’s somewhere far better near where you live ( as the FD isn’t that fantastic )

nickb

I’ve been – it was amazing. You’re not hungry after circa 14 courses!
    Great experience, and one of those places that is great once, but not sure if it’s worth a return visit for at least 10 years as the menu doesn’t change that much.

Food theatre – I really enjoyed it.

Nick

project
    Free Member

Honestly, I think £160 is a snip for food of that quality, artistry and originality.

SADLY PROBABLY DOWN THE ROAD THERE ARE PEOPLE LIVING ROUGH, OR SURVIVING ON FOOD BANK HANDOUTS.

Just perhaps donate the money you would have spent on making a wealthy man even more wealthy,on making a hungry family less hungry, and get a real sence of helping somebody in need.

djglover
    Free Member

Lets just embrace communism and eat gruel eh project!

He hasn’t got 3 frigging stars for nothing!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Project, how much did you spend on your;
    Computer
    Bike(s)
    Lunch
    Etc

Get off your high horse, eh?

IHN

Just perhaps donate the money you would have spent on making a wealthy man even more wealthy,on making a hungry family less hungry, and get a real sence of helping somebody in need.

Ignoring the fact that maybe I have done just that, how much money have you spent on things that you don’t actually need, that could otherwise have gone to a more worthy cause?

Get over yourself.

theotherjonv

SADLY PROBABLY DOWN THE ROAD THERE ARE PEOPLE LIVING ROUGH, OR SURVIVING ON FOOD BANK HANDOUTS.

Not in Bray there aren’t. But your point is taken.

rewski
    Free Member

He’s got a horse? They cost a fortune, eat the beast I say.

IHN

But your point is taken.

Not by me it’s not, but then I’ve never been a fan of hypocrisy.

Markie
    Free Member

Heston’s Hind’s Head is nice, if simpler food is your thing. Prob not worth a long trip though, as it doesn’t have the ‘wow’!

Paulio
    Free Member

I’ve been and would echo what nickb says. I’ve probably enjoyed cheaper meals as much but for me it is about the whole experience along with unique, delicious food. Think of it more as a day out than a meal but you certainly won’t be hungry afterwards. It was a lot of money and would have been way more if we’d have had wine but I’m glad to have done it

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not eaten there, but eaten at quite a few Michelins, the good ones are value for money, the bad ones (tend to be London or posh areas) are just taking people for a ride.

I bet there’s more people who earn a living from a Michelin restaurant ie staff, suppliers etc, than if you go to a McDonald’s. Besides worked hard for my money and can spend it how I like 🙂

kilo

I went there a couple of months ago for a family do, it was very good and a real sense of occasion and theatre with the food, the meal itself took several (iirc nearly 4) hours and was both filling and nice, the service was exemplary, overall a very enjoyable meal

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not by me it’s not, but then I’ve never been a fan of hypocrisy.

Yeah, man, like right on, brother! I assume the computer you’re posting on tonight was free, otherwise you would have donated the money to starving waifs or something. Wouldn’t you….

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Rather have a chinky from round the corner.

theotherjonv

Actually i think the gist of Project’s point is fair. It’s a heck of a load of money for a meal, there are people in this country starving, and you could feed a lot of them with £160.

I think if you can afford to eat at places like this very often, then just maybe you should think about forgoing once in a while and doing something charitable with the money you didn’t spend; but equally I’ll defend the right to spend that sort of money once in a while as a treat. Or spend it on beer, computers, marching powder, bikes or whatever else you want to spend it on. It’s a free country and we make our choices, and you don’t need to defend them to me if you don’t want to (or put another way, simply saying ‘I earned it, I’ll spend it how I want’ is fine with me)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

😯 at Steve

ocrider

L’enclume
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKa8wbMEwng[/video]
    ****in Yeeeaaaaah.

To frank, michelin star food is well worth it, even moreso Heston, Ferran Adria and their ilk. Go on, you know you want to…

chiefgrooveguru

Have you seen how many chefs The Fat Duck employs, Project? And the farmers etc who supply it? Almost certainly a more ethical way to feed yourself than via the multinationals, if you can afford it.

I went to a pop-up restaurant run by one of last year’s Masterchef The Professionals’ finalists a few months ago. £45/head for the set (only) menu, I don’t have much money and it was possibly the best value meal I’ve ever eaten (and certainly the best).

thejesmonddingo

Flash,I think IHN is agreeing with you

ronniethescot
    Free Member

@funkydunc which michelins did you go to that you found bad? I’m pretty interested/intrigued

cheers_drive

I love good food and have been to a couple of Michelins. Those who say they are a waste of money or feel hungry afterwards don’t get it anymore than non cyclists who don’t understand paying more than £200 for a push bike.
    Always thought Heston was a bit novelty before watching mc tonight but it was fascinating even if you think the program is guff.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Deffo worth it for me because 1 great meal >>> 10 shit takeaways.

Actually >>> 100 shit takeaways.

In fact, **** the takeaways!

@cheersdrive went to Tamarind last month and it was a disappointment.

IHN

Flash,I think IHN is agreeing with you

Yeah, I thought we were on the same side too 😕

It is a lot of money, and there are far more ‘worthy’ uses for that money. There are equally far more worthy causes for the much greater amounts of money that most of us spend on bikes (or even bits of bikes, or multiple bikes), but I don’t see anyone being shouted down for spending £400 on a pair of wheels…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Heston's Fat Duck – is it worth a trip?’ is closed to new replies.