• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by j2b2.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help with Decathlon bikes
  • j2b2
    Free Member

Hi

Could anyone help me understand the difference in the key components between these two XC Decathlon bikes:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-xc-900-carbon-mountain-bike-275-id_8405537.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-960-carbon-mountain-bike-275-id_8378287.html

Which one is better specced?

I am after something fast and rigid 🙂

Thanks!

Wally

I have an xc-900 in large because my main bike was in the carbon repair shop.

£300 extra in wheels and gears. Other than that it’s exactly the same.

Perhaps the £1200 is better value really £ for £.

Neither are going to have ANY second retail market, to speak of.

themilo
    Free Member

as a general rulere anything Decathlon sell: .Bigger the number the more betterer it is.

GeForceJunky

The second one looks to be last year’s bike, hence the sale. They are essentially the same model with minor changes like the update to 1×12. I prefer the colour scheme on the second!

jonnyboi

Have you checked stock availability?  Decathlon aren’t great at that

malgrey
    Free Member

Very little real-life difference. If its available, go for the cheaper one, it looks better too!

bubs

Looks like Crossmax vs Crossride wheelsets?

j2b2
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

Both bikes seem to be – perhaps permanently – out of stock everywhere. Maybe a new model is round the corner. However second hand I guess they are probably about 50% off.

Wally, how is the XC-900? Would you recommend it?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the real world differences between the drive trains?

900 has SRAM GX Eagle: 34 and 10/50
    960 has SRAM GX: 32 and 11/42

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

900 has SRAM GX Eagle: 34 and 10/50
    960 has SRAM GX: 32 and 11/42

It’s gear range really the 12sp has a greater range so depends on your riding and fitness if that appeals or not.

j2b2
    Free Member

My fitness is ok, so it appeals. I currently have 24/38 and 36/11 – on a much less rigid bike – would I notice the difference between the three drive trains?

Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Your current top gear has a ratio of 3.45 (38/11) and a low of 0.666 (24/36)

The 11sp is top 2.91 (32/11) and Low 0.76 (32/42)

The 12sp is 3.4 (34/10) and Low 0.68 (34/50)

So that is the comparison, the eagle will cover just about everything that the double does. So depends how much time you spend in the extreme’s of the gears. Though for a 29r XC HT  range probably isn’t the biggest concern as it should be light and direct.

j2b2
    Free Member

Thanks Mike, that is really helpful. Thinking about it, I do use the top gear a lot on most mtbs.

I think my old 26″ had 44 and 11, but my current 27.5″ feels faster (but less efficient as it is less rigid).

What top ratio is considered good for XC?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends what you ride and where, most of the guys I knew who were serious would be on 32/34 x 10t as top speed is gained by more than just pedalling.

j2b2
    Free Member

Thanks. Also, how would you factor the wheel size (26/27.5/29) into the equation?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help with Decathlon bikes’ is closed to new replies.