Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help non fruity IPA’s
  • Pigface
    Free Member

As a non drinker I am a bit lost in finding a non fruity IPA, I call on the good burghers of STW for some recommendations, thanks.

beej

What do you mean by fruity? Citrus/mango/pineapple notes are down to the hops. Apple/pears more related to the yeasts (as far as I recall from my one day Beer Academy course)

US style IPAs tend to use hops that give the citrus etc, so maybe look at English style IPAs?

I’m more a fan of US styles though so no direct recommendations!

mrwhyte
    Free Member

For just a supermarket buy, I quite like old empire.

ibnchris

Lagunitas is a pretty safe bet.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

HPA

ransos
    Free Member

As above, English hops tend to give floral rather than citrus flavour. Worthington White Shield is the classic example of the style.

breninbeener

Aldi sell Marstons Old Empire IPA. Its a good example of an English style IPA and doesnt have the citrus fruit element of the american IPA

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What Breninbeener said, £1.29 in Aldi, (£1.69 in Morrisons, robbing gits)
    It’s my fave beer after McEwans Champion.

firestarter
    Free Member

I like greene king as a non fruity flavour

pedlad

Another vote for wye valley Herefordshire pale ale. Warning:2 may lead to many more….

sparksmcguff

Keswick brewery does a fantastic IPA. Neither fruity nor overly Americanised with an abundance of hops. It’s rounded and “warm” but a pale ale.

ransos
    Free Member

Aldi sell Marstons Old Empire IPA. Its a good example of an English style IPA and doesnt have the citrus fruit element of the american IPA

It has American hops in it. An ok beer but not quite what the OP was asking for, I think.

Vader
    Free Member

For me, Green King IPA remains the quintessential ipa. I have no idea which hops are in it though, I just drink it and leave the pontification to the chunky knit wearing bearded chin strokers.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Fursty Ferret and Hopping Hare – not IPA’s but not fruity.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It has American hops in it. An ok beer but not quite what the OP was asking for, I think.

Well it certainly ain’t fruity, I dislike fruity beer.

ransos
    Free Member

For me, Green King IPA remains the quintessential ipa.

The IPA label is pure marketing and it’s much more like an ordinary bitter. It’s way too weak and lacking sufficient bitterness to be an IPA.

ransos
    Free Member

Well it certainly ain’t fruity, I dislike fruity beer.

I can definitely taste citrus in it.

13thfloormonk

Problem is, there are two styles of IPA to my mind, the ‘traditional’ style like Deuchars etc. and the newer super hoppy bitter style.

I think I like the fruity ones, but Stone Brewery IPA iscreally bitter without being too fruity. 7% though…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Damn it, I fancy a beer now. Not a Greene King IPA though, dirty pond water that is.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I always get angry if someone brings me a Greene King in lieu of an IPA… 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This is getting rather confusing. ‘Fruity’ vs ‘traditional’ doesn’t translate to ‘hoppy vs bitter’

Hops are (largely) what gives a beer it’s bitterness. IPA is traditionally loaded with hops.

I think the word ‘fruity’ is causing the confusion, as someone else noted upthread.

Now if you combine an American-style IPA/hop with a generous helping of malt then you may be talking ‘fruity’, if by ‘fruity’ you mean ‘strong citrus hop with malty backbone’?

Explained more here:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/the-7-flavor-categories-of-beer-what-they-are-how-to-pair-them

*Edit Anyway, if you’re talking bottled ales then it’s pretty much all academic as they taste like sugar and gas with some weirdly affected flavours. If no other options then try Oakham ‘Citra’ or Dark Star ‘Hophead’, these are the only two ales I’ve tried that are really worth bothering with from the supermalarket. Maybe Shipyard but that’s an American-style with strong grapefruit taste so maybe not for OP 😉 If by ‘fruity’you mean ‘citrusy hops’ then Batham’s Best Bitter if you can find it local. Very traditional. Or lager. Nothing wrong with lager.

Houns

+2 HPA

colournoise

Maybe the OP is actually asking about avoiding the IPA+fruit stuff (like Elvis Juice, Disco Forklift Truck, etc.) that seems to be all over the supermarkets at the minute?

Of the American style IPAs I would go for Wild Gravity, Quantum State or (if you can get hold of it) Doggie Style.

Nowt wrong with good old Punk either, but that’s not exactly the same kind of beast?

mattyfez

Saltaire blonde or Saltaire cascade?

Greene King IPA has to be without doubt one of the most horrible beers I’ve ever tasted

Fat-boy-fat

Deuchers IPA. Nuff said.

Frankers
    Free Member

If you’re looking for something easy to get hold of Shipyard or Atlantic aren’t that fruity.

ibnchris

Plus one for shipyard. Also, the Lidl IPAs are pretty good. The blue one with red on it (can’t remember name) is least fruity

CountZero

*Edit Anyway, if you’re talking bottled ales then it’s pretty much all academic as they taste like sugar and gas with some weirdly affected flavours.

Dunno what bottled ales you’ve been drinking, but I’ve got ten bottles I picked up from the local farm shop today, from a whole bunch of regional and local breweries, and I’d be prepared to bet that you could taste a distinct difference between them, with little sugar and no more gassiness than the equivalent in a pub.
    As I’ve had a number of them in various pubs, and the bottled versions, I know whereof I speak.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help non fruity IPA’s’ is closed to new replies.