Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed: replacement nut and nylon bush for balance bike!
  • mefster
    Free Member

My little lad’s best pal has had a balance bike failure. He survived the front wheel falling off his “Kidcool’ balance bike, but unfortunately in the incident an couple of component pieces were lost:

A nylon cylindrical ‘bush’ spacer (width 10mm, inner diameter 6mm and outer diameter 16mm (which spaces the the hub from the fork leg)

An internally threaded nut with a 4mm hex key at the flanged end. The narrow cylindrical end (with the internal thread) is 12mm long and fits into the hole in the fork tip. It has an 8mm external diameter. The end flange with the hex is 14mm in diameter and 2mm thick. The threading appears to be M6 with my measuring.

I said I’d have a root through my toolbox to see what I can find. I’ve found a threaded collar I can use a bolt and washer to secure, but I’m a little unsure if it’ll be strong enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m guessing if I can find a supplier they’ll cost pence if I know who to contact and what to ask for!

Thanks in advance!

mefster
    Free Member
    mefster
    Free Member

At last!

aracer
    Free Member

Bush spacer easily replaceable with a stack of M6 washers. The longer part of the nut has the same dimensions as one of these (M6 internal thread – check yours by finding an M6 bolt and threading on – much easier to check the dimensions of a bolt thread). The head of the one I have here is only 10mm diameter – if that needs to be bigger (for load bearing on wood?) then simply use an M8 washer to space out.

mefster
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice aracer- the washers should definitely do the trick.

I think the proper name for the nut is an M6 flanged rivet nut. A few suppliers on the web but seem to sell in bulk. I might try phoning a couple of bike shops- I believe that some brake manufacturers supply a couple of different sizes to allow for different frame fit. Big not, the CRC option looks like a good option (although £4 for a nut seems steep!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed: replacement nut and nylon bush for balance bike!’ is closed to new replies.