Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Help my spec a new emergency tool kit, please!
  • kilo

Someone mentioned disc and cleat bolts. These are the same thread so a brake disc bolt will fit a cleat hole (a guy sorted out Mrs Kilo’s shoe with bone in Canada) They are also the same thread as a standard bottle mount and iirc mudguard bolt so if you’ got spare bosses you can carry a spare bolt there or just take one of the disc

fd3chris
    Free Member

@winston doggy poo bags then find a bin 👍

Alpha1653

@whitestone: I remember doing an enduro at Afan way back (2007?) when ‘enduro’ meant riding for a long time as opposed to a stage race. Conditions were awful and although my bike was fully prepped and checked in advance, a set of pads were destroyed about 2/3 of the way round meaning I did the last 20km or so just on my front brake.

Since then I’ve carried a single set just in case and I’ve had to use them once. That said, a set is the size of a postage stamp and weighs practically nothing so I’d rather carry them just in case.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Alpha1653 – fair enough. I wasn’t criticising, just wanting to know your rationale. There are certain areas, Kielder’s one, where bad conditions chew through brake pads. Like you say they don’t take up much space but it does help if you don’t pack Shimano pads when you’ve got Hope brakes!

martinkiely
    Free Member

Four bikes, four sets of tools etc, just because I can’t be arsed swapping things over and always forget when it actually matters. I work on the principle that I’d rather carry too much stuff with me, than keep it to the minimum and be caught out when the worst case scenario happens. One thing I insist on having at the bottom of my two MTB packs are the aluminium space blankets things as mentioned above – weigh nothing and really can be a life saver. Most people above seem to be far more organised that me though, so picked up some tips here!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I carry a quick link but i also carry the four or five links of chain that you take out when you fit a new chain.

nixie

Space blankets are a great idea to carry. In-fact I’m think that stuffing those into the fork steerer would be a good use of the space.

nixie

I carry a quick link but i also carry the four or five links of chain that you take out when you fit a new chain.

I also do this but take two quick links so replacing a section of chain is easy. Also run all my bikes in the same chains to make this easier. In my big bag I’m pretty sure I still have 9 and 10 speed links as well.

StirlingCrispin

On local rides I carry:

Pump

Tube

Levers x2

Crank Bros multi-17 tool

wolf tooth chain pliers and chain links

Zip ties

£5 note that can double as a tyre boot

A tubeless tyre sealant thing prefitted with an anchovie (protected with a pen cap).

All carried in a Zefal muppet bag under the saddle.

For longer rides I would shove in a second tube, artificial (kevlar) spoke, and brake pads.

Talking of zip ties, have we mentioned George Berwick and his broken frame yet? http://www.thedrumup.co.uk/cycling-riders/george-berwick-500km-on-a-broken-frame/

duncancallum

Top bodge that’s a proper break too

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Help my spec a new emergency tool kit, please!’ is closed to new replies.