Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help me with my wide-range 10 speed cassette…
  • tomparkin

So, cast your mind back, if you will, to the Good Old Days of wide-range 10 speed stuff, back when everyone was slapping expander cogs on their cassettes and trying to figure out how to coax their rear mech back into shifting…

That’s where I am right now.  I have a Sunrace 11-42t cassette, and an SRAM x9 type 2 short cage rear mech.  Fitting both to the bike (no chain installed), the upper jockey wheel of the mech fouls on the cassette before it gets to the 42t cog.

Web searches suggest both a RadR cage and a goat link as possible solutions to this problem, but I’ve no clue which is best, and both seem to support Shimano mechs only.

Is there a way to get this mech and cassette to play nicely?  Or am I better off sacking one or the other (or both) off..?

theboatman
    Free Member

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Road-Bicycle-Rear-Derailleur-Gear-Hanger-Extension-Tail-Hook-Lengthen-CNC-/292466070102?oid=112554439838

I used one of these, it was with an xt mech and 11-42 cassette, it did the job and I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with a sram mech as it is just extending.

I am a cheapskate.

tomparkin

Thanks Boatman, that looks worth a shot for the money for sure!

dirkpitt74

I’m in a similar position with my Lad’s NS Clash and posted up about it last week:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/goat-links-alternatives/

I’ve ordered a couple of those link extenders above – arrived Saturday.

Will be attempting to fit one tonight and see how it goes.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I used a Goat link & a longer b screw with a 10-46. Seems to be fine. The b screw was a belt & braces move.

I think the mech is a short cage xt.

tomparkin

Thanks for the link @dirkpitt74. obviously my search-fu failed me…

Would be interested to know how you get on with the extender 🙂

dirkpitt74

Right then – swapped the cassette on my lads bike to the Deore 11-42t and fitted the £1.69 Chinese ‘groat-rink’.

After a bit of fine tuning it on bl***y works!!

Only issue I have is not being able to pedal backwards on the 42t, but can’t see that being too much of a problem.

So in conclusion you can’t go wrong for the price.

tomparkin

Awesome, thanks for reporting back.

Time to get over to eBay 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

i just use an 11 speed mech, with 10 speed shifters and cassette. Works a treat and they are designed to run across a larger extended range.

currently running a 11-42 Sunrace 10 speed cassette

XT 11 speed mech

10 speed Zee shufters.

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Same as lardman – GS XT 11sp mech with 11-46 Sunrace CSMX3 & Saint 10sp shifter. Super happy with it. Ratios are perfect, no big Shimano gaps and lighter than 11sp XT. Back pedals perfectly, shifts dead smooth.

danti

Bookmarked for later

tomparkin

Hmm, I hadn’t considered the 11 speed mech approach. Which is silly really since I’ve done just the same with 9 speed mech and 8 speed shifter.

Given I have the 10 speed mech already it’s worth trying the eBay magic spacer thing. Then maybe an 11 speed mech once I’ve walloped this one on a few rocks…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help me with my wide-range 10 speed cassette…’ is closed to new replies.