Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help me update my hi-fi
  • richmtb

Hey folks

most of my hi-fi equipment is getting on for 20 years old.

My set up has been for many years an Audiolab 8000CDM and DAX CD-Player, Audiolab 8000S and 8000P amplifiers and B&W CDM 7 speakers.

Its sounds absolutely amazing but as you can imagine it takes up a bit of space and these days its not really getting used to its full potential. (Peppa Pig doesn’t really demand the the ultimate in hi-fi)

Anyway the left channel in the power amp bit the dust last night so I think that’s a sign that its time for a change.

I’m prepared to compromise a bit on audio quality and I’m thinking of just tieing everything together using a surround receiver.

I’ve already got a Yamaha DSP-A5 surround amp, which is now just hooked up in stereo, but that’s at least 10 years old

So my plan is to buy this new Yamaha amp.

All my video sources can connect into it and I’ll be able to reduce the multitude of amplifiers down to a single box.

That leaves the speakers. The B&Ws are great, but they are also pretty big and I think the surround amp might struggle to get the best from them.

Does anyone have any recommendation on more compact speakers? I’d still quite like something floorstanding but ideally one that don’t completely dominate the room.

Ta

Rich

angeldust
    Free Member

How much are you willing to compromise on sound quality?
    That’s a nice system and you are replacing the amp with something relatively cheap….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/TxQqWSnsHoA[/video]

😉

angeldust
    Free Member

yawn

derek_starship
    Free Member

That sketch from NtNoCN was brilliant.

angeldust – why are you cyber yawning?

beanum

You didn’t mention a budget, but I’m very happy with my Dali Zensor 5 floorstanders…

Richer Sounds have them for £550

Dali – Richer Sounds

angeldust
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

That sketch from NtNoCN was brilliant.

angeldust – why are you cyber yawning?

Because it is posted on every other Hi-Fi thread. Usually to take the piss from an uninterested party, rather than to enjoy the humour….

angeldust
    Free Member

Someone will make the ‘hilarious’ directional cable comment any time now…. 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

How about some KEF Atmos?

angeldust
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

How about some KEF Atmos?

Apologies if I’m missing out on some typical STW hilarity.
    Don’t think the amp mentioned is atmos compatible. OP seems to want a 2 channel set up?

newrobdob
    Free Member

IMHO you are a complete muppet if you change those amazing speakers. There ain’t no substitute for cubes!

I’d for something better with the amp maybe this https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-rxa670-blk.html

newrobdob
    Free Member

Don’t think the amp mentioned is atmos compatible. OP seems to want a 2 channel set up?

I think he has video sources too….

All my video sources can connect into it and I’ll be able to reduce the multitude of amplifiers down to a single box.

angeldust
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member

IMHO you are a complete muppet if you change those amazing speakers. There ain’t no substitute for cubes!

I’d for something better with the amp maybe this https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-rxa670-blk.html

Both those Yamaha amps probably sound pretty good for 2 channel music. Neither will be great, like your existing set up though.

angeldust
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member

I think he has video sources too….

My point being, why would you recommend an atmos speaker in a 2 channel system? The fact that the amp is not atmos compatible is pretty relevant too though!

newrobdob
    Free Member

Both those Yamaha amps probably sound pretty good for 2 channel music. Neither will be great, like your existing set up though.

Not in the same league as this issue but I had a lovely Denon amp which was a stripped down no remote “audiophile” amp (about £250). Sounded ace. Had it for a few years and decided to change it for an Onkyo home cinema amp. Initially it sounded a lot worse but once I’d set it up better (and found the “music optimisation” button) it sounded really good, pretty much as good as the Denon.

Cinema amps aren’t as bad as they used to be for music so getting a nice quality one to match the quality of the speakers should be fine and it gives you surround options and better connectivity for wireless (shudder) and all that other modern nonsense. 😉

richmtb

My set up has been more AV focused for a while now so I don’t mind compromising onsound quality for music

Main priority is pulling together all the video and audio sources
    Video sources are XBOX, Sky Box, Blu Ray, Mini Snes
    Audio sources will be a CD player of some decriptionI (I’m ditching the Audiolab I barely listen to CDs anymore) and digital streaming of some description

😀

I’m still not sure about changing the speakers but I’m open to suggestions

newrobdob
    Free Member

I’m ditching the Audiolab

That makes me sad. I’ll take it though!

ampthill

Is the Op trying for 5.1 or just have some smaller stereo speakers?

I think 5.1 amps do seem better at Stereo now. Well our old one was rubbish but the new on isn’t.

richmtb

I’m not really bothered about 5.1 (I’ve got the speakers for it but not really the inclination to set it all up). But I want something that I can use to bring all the audio and video sources together.

Stereo with a compact centre might be an ideal compromise

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m prepared to compromise a bit on audio quality

And for that reason, ahm oot…

tjagain

have you checked for an internal fuse in the amp – my amp has them for each side of the power amp. Take the cover off and the fuses are obvious

richmtb

I’ll have a look TJ, but to be honest the separates are already in the back of the cupboard under the stairs and the hi fi shelves have been rapidly commandeered for kids board games and puzzles

I don’t think there is anyway back!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I went from floor standers to better quality book shelf speakers (B&W CM1) and a compact sub – and I haven’t looked back.
    Worth considering if minimal intrusion is a preferred option?

Also, I run all my media via a hi-fi amp in a 2.1 set-up. Again, it sounds great, and I prefer this system to running music through an AV amp (of which I am sure there are good options, I just personally want to ensure my music takes preference).

Youtube/spotify/HDR/optical/analogue/Google/Echo/PS4 etc all run through my one amp and I wouldn’t have it any other way now.

Marantz PM6006 – best bang for buck I’ve come across.
    Plus there is now a ‘UK edition’, which has me very interested..

TiRed

I went for a modest Onkyo receiver to run a 5.1 system, swapping from my Music Fidelity. Sources are Sony DVD7700 ES for CD and DVD, Sonos connect, Apple TV, a Humax box and a PS4 for BluRay. Now for the speakers. I’m a fan of speakers above all other aspects of a system. So I kept a Sonos Faber system home system with a Rel sub.

You have some excellent speakers. Keep them. Don’t feel sad about the receiver. All of my sources go HDMI into the amp (except the DVD which is component) for up-scaling and dual output to a TV and projector. The improvement in convenience more than offsets the amps performance.

Bigger receivers are available, and the Audiolab amps are favourites for separate home cinema processors. but I like the convenience. I did power the front stereo pair with a Quad 303, and it was nice, but space issues meant it had to go back in the box 🙁

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OP, have a look at NAD amps, I used to have one & it was very musical, I got rid of it as they didn’t do 4K & HDMI pass through at the time, they do now. Saying that the Denon that I have now is pretty ok, for music I run a pair of Kef Q5 SE’s, bi amped as I don’t need 7 channels, in the ‘pure’ mode. The Kef’s are a very compact floor stander that will tolerate being placed close to the wall due the shape of the cabernet & being front ported, I do have a stupidly large REL Stadium sub to re-enforce them though 😀
    Cheers.

CountZero

I’m not really bothered about 5.1 (I’ve got the speakers for it but not really the inclination to set it all up). But I want something that I can use to bring all the audio and video sources together.

Stereo with a compact centre might be an ideal compromise
    It would be worth setting up a 5.1 system, then just switching off the effects, which makes the amp 2.1, and if you’ve got bigger front l/r speakers the amp can usually be configured to take that into account. I have a Yamaha DSP-AV1 amp, (I think that’s its designation, I can’t read it from where I’m sat), it’s at least fifteen probably at least twenty years old, and sounds just fine, I have a Cambridge Audio DVD99 player for cd/DVD/DVD-A, a Minidisc and an optical feed from my Mac Mini, and I’m perfectly happy with how it sounds through a set of Sony satellites.

nick1962
    Free Member

the separates are already in the back of the cupboard under the stairs and the hi fi shelves have been rapidly commandeered for kids board games and puzzles

Put the kids for adoption and get the real hifi back out!
    Or alternatively go down for a more modern flexible family friendly option and save up for a stonking great system when your kids have left home 🙂
    The Yamaha Musicast route is a good choice-it was recommended by a few on another thread recently – gives you lots of options.Sounds like you don’t necessarily need 5.1 so I’d opt for this https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-rn602-blk.html or the model up the RN 803d which I don’t think Richer sounds stock.Have a look at a few options, price them up then pop into a richer sounds or another of the mainstream hifi shops ( not the one in the above video) and explain what you’re after. They all stock broadly similar stuff at similar prices with the same prices online .They’re not out to rip you off and do know their stuff so use their expertise.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help me update my hi-fi’ is closed to new replies.