Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me STW, you're my only hope (laptop malfunction)
  • shermer75
    Free Member

The cursor on my laptop is wondering around the screen and generally not responding to inputs from the keypad. I have plugged in the mouse but it doesn’t help. I have also refreshed it, which deletes all of the apps that I have added (!) but hasn’t fixed it. Just completed a virus scan, no joy.

Toshiba running Windows 8.1

shermer75
    Free Member

Is there a way to download the drivers? Would that help? Currently doing everything with hot keys, not easy! 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Try and find your trackpad in control panel and disable it if possible. Then reboot and try a mouse again.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is it touchscreen?

shermer75
    Free Member

Is it touchscreen?

I wish! No, unfortunately..

shermer75
    Free Member

Try and find your trackpad in control panel and disable it if possible. Then reboot and try a mouse again.

I’m just downloading some updates, I’ll give that a go when it’s finished..

hooli

Try going into the BIOS (press del or F2 as the laptop boots) and disabling the mouse, then use an external mouse.

We used to see this when the area around the mouse took some damage from being lent on or knocked.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is BIOS the same as safe mode?

hooli

No, BIOS comes before Windows. If you get the prompt for Safe mode etc you have waited too long.

shermer75
    Free Member

Try going into the BIOS (press del or F2 as the laptop boots) and disabling the mouse, then use an external mouse.

So this was basically the correct solution- except it was the ‘AcuPoint’ (the little liquorice allsort looking thing tin the middle of the keyboard) that needed to be disabl3d. Phew! Thank you so much for all of your help!! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me STW, you're my only hope (laptop malfunction)’ is closed to new replies.