Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help me stop breaking my ribs.
  • righog
    Free Member

Twice in year 🙁

Think I need to start wearing some body armour.

both times pretty low speed ( freak ) accidents rather than a recurring, trait.

Anybody else wear body armour, all my rides involve riding up and down so I get pretty sweaty.

Any recommendations ?

righog
    Free Member

Thanks bohrh 🙂

I really don’t crash that much, just seems that when I do I get hurt !

However great link I am not averse to some training I will defo check it out.

honourablegeorge

Something like this might help, but they’ll be warm to pedal in. Not crashing is the better solution.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/BrandCategory.aspx?BrandID=779&CategoryID=400

righog
    Free Member

Yep not crashing would be my prefered option 😀

Those all look pretty warm to wear

Perhaps a bra, stuffed with tissue 😀

Northwind

Body armour doesn’t work too well on ribs- armour’s good at stopping the thing you hit damaging you, but ribs aren’t broken by the ground, they’re broken by the rest of you not stopping quick enough. So a bit of padding can help a little but that’s all really, and anything bulky enough to make a big difference will be unpleasant to pedal in.

Crash less, sure. Crash better is another one- I’ve got a reasonable tuck-and-roll, every time I’ve bust a rib on the bike it’s because I crashed badly (mostly through sheer surprise). It’s hard to learn that in adult life apparently, I did a lot of falling over and a bit of judo as a kid which did the job.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind 😀

I have a actually just come back from a couple of pints with my brother and we had a quick chat about my problem (amongst the business rubbish)

The first time I broke them ( slipped on some wet northshore) I landed on my spare battery in my Napoleon pocket.

Second time, the still hurting time. I hit a tree and the buckle from the my camback caused the problem.

Edit: Judo was my thing when is a kid as well !!

need to have a clear chest area. !!

andybloomer
    Free Member

I’ve just done it too, just as the trails are drying out for the first time since I took up mtb. Shit happens. My approach is to crash less and stop twatting about on Strava

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Crash better is another one- I’ve got a reasonable tuck-and-roll

My last broken rib was when I tucked and rolled, but in doing so drove my elbow hard into my side.

jambon
    Free Member

Bubble wrap?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Go and see the Jedi on a one to one.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

My last broken rib was when I tucked and rolled, but in doing so drove my elbow hard into my side.

Aye, I did something quite similiar the first time I broke one, misjudged the fall and ended up sort of flipping myself into the ground with extra force. Well played I thought.

stu1972
    Free Member

Nowt worse than broken ribs.

Learned my lesson the hard way:

Do not take corners at warp speed on wet Northshore

nealglover
    Free Member

Calcium ?

Northwind

Probably not a bad idea, we’re a bird-boned lot, cyclists… Lots of peopel worried about electrolytes and carbs but sweating out stacks of calcium and not replacing it, and even mountain biking’s low impact.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sounds like you might have a weakness as the crashes don’t sound that bad, worth getting that checked out.

I have 661 compression vest(sort of a base layer plus) but the protection is mostly central rather than at the sides. If you are prone to breaking your ribs you should sacrifice the comfort and just wear the harder armoury which will help

genghispod
    Free Member

I’ve had several broken ribs (all singly) as follows:

2 in bike crashes
    2 fighting with my son (serious play-fighting)
    1 body-boarding
    1 ice skating
    1 long-boarding

That’s 7. All on 3 ribs. Probably got enough extra bone there now to prevent any more!

Sandwich

Do you make a noise when you crash? Take a deep breath so that you have a airbag to fall on. Joe Simpson (Touching The Void) reckons this is why he walked away from his first climbing ground-fall as he fell quiet not shouting.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks all good advice.

genghispod that’s what I am hoping for a sort of bone armour.

Don’t really think bones are weak, both hits although low speed impacted ribs full on ! and chocolate milk is my preferred recovery drink.

I will be taking a a deep breath from now on before crashing.

Cheers everyone.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help me stop breaking my ribs.’ is closed to new replies.