Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me diagnose a mysterious ticking noise
  • bigsam
    Free Member

Annoying ticking whilst pedaling my road bike, roughly once every pedal revolution. I thought it was the BB, put a new one in, didn’t fix it. Also put a new chain on, tried completely different crank set and pedals, different rear wheel and cassette, nothing stopped it. It happens in all gears, seated or standing. Really vexed! Any suggestions please?

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Headset?

martinhutch

Is it your hip? 🙂

As above, headset is your next port of call.

scotroutes

The end of the front mech cable being caught once by the crank arm once every pedal revolution?

wardee
    Free Member

Shoes or cleats?

I had something similar where a bike fitter added plastic wedges to the forefoot of my shoes. They didn’t fit properly and flexed under load creating a clicking sound every pedal revolution.

Does it still do it if you put the bike in a stand and you turn the cranks by hand?

That would rule out headset for example.

kilo

Pedals, especially if shimano spd-sl

kneed

I had that with a ‘carbon fibre’ headset spacer! Pressure on one side pedal stroke = click.

mos

Same thing happened to me with my cx bike on the indoor trainer. Swapped bb and God knows what else.
    It was the seatpost

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Give qr levers a clean down (if not thru axles). That was my last mystery creak.

crikey
    Free Member

Fancy low spoke count wheels?
    Clean your bike a lot?

Its the spokes ticking in the rim. Try a tiny drop of oil on each spoke nipple.

tall_martin

Last mystery creak was a snapped stem for me. I thought there was supposed to be a gap I the middle. Over tightening error😐🙄

codybrennan
    Free Member

Powerlink (if fitted) on upside down?

bigsam
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, after more investigation it turns out I have a crack in the chainstay by the BB 😔

tall_martin

Ohhh, that’s unlucky!

Better to find it now that at high speed somewhere

rickon
    Free Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me diagnose a mysterious ticking noise’ is closed to new replies.