• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • help me choose new bike
  • fotorat
    Free Member

so I have been a full sus lover since 2003 and my quiver is always 80% FS to 20% HT

So when I think about my next bike I allways rule out hard tails.  However….

I do love my hardtails for their climbing prowess and efficiency, but of course when I hit the rough stuff its harder work than FS.

I have never had a tire bigger than 2.4 and I still think that 2.4 is MASSIVE.

So I would like your learned opinions on is this:

3inch tires on a 27.5+ hard tail – would provide the control and comfort of an old 80mm Suspension frame?

spawnofyorkshire

What terrain are you riding? Are you more bothered about going up than down?

fotorat
    Free Member

Fire roads – muddy rutted, cracked byeways (think clay and flint – fast in the summer but slippery when wet).

Going Down I dont like to use brakes and I am happiest at 30-40mph

Going up is important to – I am not a spinner and if I can get up in big ring, I will (yes all my bike has triple chainsets on them)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Whichever one has the largest capacity battery.

nickfrog
    Free Member

30-40mpg ? That’s not really mountain biking though?

fotorat
    Free Member

Yep 44T big ring and 11T rear spins out at about 32MPH

you wont know what I am talking about if you have only ever ridden a 1X

Lets phrase the question differently:

Can I hit a kerb square on, seated on a 3″ tire HT and expect the tire to soak it up just like Rear suspension would?

mrmoofo

Sort of … but it will be un-damped …

But running a triple or double chain set with a 3 inch tyre might be a challenge

Onzadog
    Free Member

I shouldn’t be on this thread. I’m currently pondering if I should build up a transition vanquish, or get a giant tcr disc or start looking at gravel bikes.

Might be easier to just not bother and try and ride what I have more often.

sbob
    Free Member

Can I hit a kerb square on, seated on a 3″ tire HT and expect the tire to soak it up just like Rear suspension would?

Absolutely, but make sure you film it to show others.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘help me choose new bike’ is closed to new replies.