Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me choose a bike shed for work.
  • AdamT

We’re moving offices soon and I’ve been asked to help with speccing a bike shed. I know roughly what we’re looking for, so looking for recommendations on specific products.

– shed thing with space for 12 bikes
    – door that can be made secure(i.e. not just an open front shelter)
    – secure construction (so not just a large wooden domestic shed.

Can anyone help???

andyha
    Free Member
    qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of similar recently, might not suit your needs, but i was thinking along the lines of: concrete / slab base, 4″ x 4″ uprights with gravel boards used in a hit n miss fencing pattern for the walls, maybe with some rebar mesh in their void if you wanted to up security, sloping flat / living green roof, door thats lockable.

Then: drying area for clothing / kit, changing area, lockers, tumble dryer / heated cabinet / towel rail, shower / sink etc

stu170
    Free Member

I would find a local engineering firm and have a chat with them. Fairly simple job few days to build off site and a morning to bolt in on site

ta11pau1

Hope you’ve got a decent budget.

https://www.broxap.com/cycle-shelters-cycle-storage/cycle-compounds.html

Something like these guys do (found after a quick search for “commercial cycle shed”)

For 12 bikes you’ll need plenty of space so people can get in, plus a door with a keypad entry, and I’d want a metal frame with maybe some wood cladding.

RustyNissanPrairie

Book marked as I’ve been tasked with the same

convert

Book marked as I’ve been tasked with the same

Me too but for a my wife’s work. Massive parking issue and consequently a massive recruitment issue. They need to become model cycle friendly employee for basic economic reasons.

AdamT

Ta11pau1’s link is useful. We probably have a reasonable budget, but value is the important thing really. We’re considering individual locker type approach too as we can probably have a few locations with 3 or 4 each on site Vs (shock horror) taking up 2 or 3 parking spaces (tbf, we don’t have an abundance of car parking spaces).

I’ve seen lockers that have RFID entry which would be neat as they would likely sync with our door entry system or phone RFID.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A bit of a 6 vs 1/2 doz scenario. But do you want it clad/hidden? Would give any would be thief 8 hours to attack the locks and nick them!

Ours is out of sight in a barrier entry underground car park so you kinda have to know its down there. But the cage iself is just big rectangles of mesh in 50mm box section frames that bolt into the columns of the building. Which is great as it means expansion only needs a couple of new panels each time, not a whole cage. Not the most secure solution, but relies on it being a bit hidden but equally visible to security etc.

For drying and storing kit we took over a suite of meeting rooms to make, male and female changing rooms with wardrobes (old cabinets with some rails added) for clean clothes, plus male and female drying rooms with dehumidifiers for storing towels and wet kit (because we used to have a room that just stunk and turned your nice clothes stinky too).

sl2000

We’ve got individual bike lockers. I’m not in the office until Friday this week but could get details / photos if you’re still interested then. PM me if you are and I’ll post here.

AdamT

Changing rooms are not a problem and drying is taken care of by a farm of servers doing neural network training (quite a lot of fast moving hot air in the server rooms). I think lockers might be a good, scalable solution. Will pm you sl2000.

Current office is a large site with big fences, lots of cameras, security folk and restricted access to a hidden bike park area. New office is a little more public, so want something pretty beefy.

sl2000

So I’ve not done well. Got photos, but the lockers don’t have any manufacturer info on them. They were here when we moved in and no-one knows about them.

Have also come by car today so no bike in the locker sorry.

AdamT

Thanks for the pics. I’ll see if I can identify them somehow. I have a meeting with our site folk on Monday, so thanks everyone for the replies.

MoreCashThanDash

Fwiw, our office is on a public access site. We inherited normal open bike storage with roofs, and just put 6′ steel mesh cages around them with keypad doors. Works pretty well to be fair.

claudie

I bought a 20ft shipping container from MrBox for about £2k delivered, it had a plywood floor and vents

aP
    Free Member

I had an email about specification of bike sheds last week (since deleted) but I do remember that it had a green roof which I thought mitigates the aesthetic slightly.
    I think it was these guys https://www.cyclehoop.com/product/shelters-canopies/green-roof-shelter/
    But Broxap etc would be similar and have a decent reputation.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Really depends on budget, but I think these lot do some nice stuff. (plus they local to me and they ride as well)

https://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/cycle-parking-rack

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a bike shed for work.’ is closed to new replies.