Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! I've broken my bike.
  • jodafett

I have limited maintenance knowledge so go easy please.

My nds crank arm fell off recently and broke the pre-load bolt (SLX). I got one from my LBS (cheers Edinburgh Cycle Company) and fitted it. I then noticed there was a lot of play in my cassette so after some research I realised it was the freehub (Mavic Crossride) so I ordered one up and fitted it last night. Out on the bike today when I stopped pedalling the cassette kept turning which in turn bunched up the chain. If I took my feet off the pedals they would keep spinning. Are these previous issues to do with my current issue.

Ps. It was only in some gears I couldn’t freewheel and there is still a tiny, tiny bit of play in the cassette.

Cheers

jodafett

Bump for a panicked man on holiday with no bike!

wwaswas

take it to a bike shop?

sounds like you’ve missed a spacer or something on the freehub as it’s tight and not freewheeling.

tiny, tiny amount of play in the cassette is probably ok assuming everything else is ok (which it isn’t currently).

andytherocketeer

Out on the bike today when I stopped pedalling the cassette kept turning which in turn bunched up the chain

Know feature of Mavic hubs.

Gooogle for “Mavic Crossride Freehub Squealing” (or Aksium, etc. since the design is the same) and you’ll get hits here and elsewhere.

There should be a washer that goes behind the freehub when you re-fit it, and a rubber seal presses against a yellowish PTFE disc. Don’t use any grease in there, but only a light machine oil, else it’ll drag.

edit: and mine did it on holiday in the Cairngorms. fun having to permanently pedal like a fixed wheel bike thru all the berms and jumps at Laggan. There is a 3rd party replacement freehub seal kit available on ebay, but as my axle also bent a bit I didn’t bother fixing it.

jodafett

take it to a bike shop?

That’s the next plan but struggling to get there with children etc.

There doesn’t seem to be washer behind the free hub, but there wasn’t one on the old hub! I did apply some grease in there so I’ll clean that up an see how it goes.

Thanks folks.

andytherocketeer

Plenty of videos on youtube too. Most might be for road wheels, but Crossrides are the same. Older freehubs certainly used a loose washer, but maybe that’s changed for 2013 models? (I think new freehubs on old wheels might use a different spacer?)

I certainly used to have a bit of cassette wobble, but if the freehub was bolted on too tightly, then the seal drags. Inside was pristine on mine when I first opened it up, but I’d assumed it was dragging due to half the cairngorms and 7 stanes inside.

Technical Manuals here might be helpful (esp. if it’s a newish wheel/hub)… including the logon/password
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mavic-technical-manual-site-login-password-help-again

jodafett

Cheers for the info folks, turns out the Pawls were knackered as well. Stuck a couple in today and all seems well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! I've broken my bike.’ is closed to new replies.