Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • BBC 6 Music latest flavour of the month
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

After various bilge including Elbow etc, why am I hearing about the Flaming Lips and their 30 year history when they were barely on the radar a while ago? (Yeah OK I concede I am well out of the scene)?

At least the new Fall album is getting some air time.

scaredypants

I guess they’ve put some effort into getting Wayne C in for interview (and the band for some sort of session?), so recouping the “investment”

6M has a bit too much emphasis on heavy-rotation “favourites” for me – only noticed recently as I’ve had a couple of days working at home with it on. No way could I listen all day regularly.

*Is disappoint*, or whatever the cool kids say

Oddly, haven’t heard any Fall. Is it good then Al ?

mrmoofo

I thought they had moved a way from their “1977 and the fallout years were great”, to “John Grant”
    TBH it is way too cliquey – it is like a radio version of Private Eye’s Psued’s Corner ….
    Whilst everyone else in mediaworld seems to know that Radio 6 is where you go to die, the presenters on Radio 6 to think they are scaling heights in the left field and “making a difference”

All of a sudden, Chris Moyles is beginning to look talented

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Excellent station that sometimes plays stuff I don’t like. Probably best to suck it up for a month sugar-tits and switch over if it’s really annoying you. And possibly write a letter to your political representative instead of moaning on internet forums where you feel you have some kind of voice.

mrmoofo

Ah, one of the stalkers is back … 😀

Lighten up, keyboard warrior, it is Friday

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what’s a “salker”?

My post was aimed at cynic-al. I hadn’t actually read yours.

mrmoofo

In the same vein, what is a “month sugar-tits” ?
    Ot do typos also affect you?

cloudnine
    Free Member

My radio station is betterer than yours

zippykona

They played Minor Threat Tuesday afternoon so they are alright by me.

scratch
    Free Member

S’all about the weekends no? Ravenscroft, Peterson, Ceri’s.
    Really like Ceri’s stuff on a Sunday morning, Iplayer is your friend.

I only listen to 6, not sure if I could handle the full 9-5 though, least the Pigeon detectives era is over….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In the same vein, what is a “month sugar-tits” ?
    Ot do typos also affect you?

It’s “Flaming Lips Month“.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I love 6 and the Flaming Lips are one of those bands who are way more popular than you might imagine.

I think 6 works really well, though it did go through a bit of a rocky patch. However, the absence of George Lamb has improved things tenfold!

I think the BBC were worried that the audience was too white, male and
    30-45 at one stage, but you appeal to who you appeal to…plenty of other
    radio stations out there (whether Beeb or otherwise) to cater to different demographics. 6 reminds me of the Radio 1 Evening Session back in the early/mid 90’s when both Lamacq and Whiley were hosting and that’s no bad thing.

binners

You’re right. 6 Music is rubbish. There’s far better stuff being played on…. erm….. oh…. er….

He did this just for you Al 😉

DezB
    Free Member

*Chuckles at dd vs. mrmoofo: The 6Music battle*

Keva
    Free Member

6Music is the only radio station I listen to these days. It does have it’s wonky moments though, that Daft song is one that could do with being erased from the play list and the other thing that’s becomming tiring is the banging donk thing. I don’t want to put a banging donk on it thank you, no matter how many times it’s repeated. I just don’t, so stop saying it.

I heard some stuff by a band called Wolf People the other day which sounded pretty good, i quite liked that, worth a bit of investigating.

davidjey
    Free Member

Like any (BBC, at least) station, daytime is more ‘conservative’ and playlisted, but still my default choice. All the daytime DJs at least care about music and are knowledgable. I think ANY station would get wearing if I had it on all day, every day.

Evenings and weekends are brilliant, which is most of what I listen to. Freak Zone, Jarvis, Cerys all completely unlike anything I’ve heard on the radio and perfect for a Sunday. Marc Riley a true enthusiast/champion of bands old and new (and is very self-aware that he is a grumpy old man!).

llama

I quite like the Flaming Lips, but I take your point they do labour it a bit. The last time it was Primal Scream this that and the other for weeks. Now I really like them, but they were totally over hyping what is a pretty good album, but its not that good.

In the day time, I don’t mind Shaun Keaveny, and I don’t mind Radcliffe and Maconie. I don’t like Lauren Laverne and I don’t like Steve bloody annoying perpetual 6th form student Lamacq.

Jarvis’ show is pretty good – I will make a point to listen to it.

Jsut about to turn it off as Lauren is on.

Well after the mondays

llama

thats it I’m out

sadexpunk

haha see im the opposite from most on this thread. quite happily listen to it all day in the week, but not too keen on cerys, jarvis, gilles, etc, altho i accept its good stuff for those that do like it.

i just love listening to the eclectic mix of songs and genres, some id never give the time of day to if i didnt hear it on there. loads of the old stuff that youve forgotten about, this morning ive heard the pistols, cult, mondays, pixies etc with decent newish music such as john grant and laura marling for instance.

also love listening to the radcliffe/maconie chat, steve lamacq and marc riley stories, theyre all interesting, just cant imagine not having 6 music now.

binners

llama – put it back on, and turn it up. She’s playing Young MC

Proper Friday music! 😀

lemonysam
    Free Member

I just wish they’d sort their adverts out:

“…I want it to feel like a big, old oak table…”

“…I want you to feel like an aural pirate…”

Erm… I like and listen to both shows but no – just no.

CountZero

Elbow, bilge? Deary, deary me. 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Al’s right on that one 😉

grum
    Free Member

I like Radcliffe & Maconie, Craig Charles and Huey. Too much twee indie for my liking though. Can’t stand Lamacq and Lauren Laverne isn’t great.

I don’t hate The Flaming Lips but I dunno what the fuss is about either.

monkfish
    Free Member

It’s by far the best station out there IMO, you want to try listening to XFM for more than half an hour just to see how varied the playlist is.

However I can’t stand the breakfast dj though who seems to think he’s on BBC 6 “i’d rather be a comedian doing my stupid impressions than playing this shit” and not 6 music

I like all the other daytime presenters and Huey at the weekend

Kit
    Free Member

Too much twee indie for my liking though.

Like this, you mean? 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClcwKgxu2wk[/video]

neilthewheel

“Ceri’s”??? 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow DD, did you get your brekkie and coffee yet?

chakaping
    Free Member

Have they been playing much off In A Priest Driven Ambulance or mainly the later happy-clappy stuff?

Used to love this…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNH59dsxd4Q[/video]

rotten
    Free Member

Saw the Flaming Lips live about 10 years ago, their music is ok but go see them live, amazing.Glad Radio 6 is playing the new Fall album, I love it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I know a girl who thinks of ghosts
    She’ll make ya breakfast
    She’ll make ya toast
    She don’t use butter
    She don’t use cheese
    She don’t use jelly
    Or any of these
    She uses vaseline
    Vaseline
    Vaseline

😀 😀 😀

SHUT UP AND LOVE THE LIPS!!!!!!!

rOcKeTdOg

I listened to 6 music once, never again. I thought they were going to shut it down? I want my licence fee back if they haven’t

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘BBC 6 Music latest flavour of the month’ is closed to new replies.