Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help – is this dodgy building or normal pt 2 (more bifold chat)
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

Can I piggyback on the bifold chat in the other thread? The good news is, we can probably agree the building is dodgy and not normal, and even the installers have agreed!..

Getting a couple of set of bifolds fitted at moment where standard windows used to be (knocking out brickwork under window etc). For one of the sets, they didn’t measure the right cill size and just ordered standard 150mm…then they fitted the doors! The doors now are setting about 30mm short of the lip of the brickwork, meaning water will drain down to the brickwork!!

They have realised their mistake only after I pointed it out and are now ordering a longer cill (225mm rather than the standard 150mm there). The issue is that the cill will then be too long, and the options seem to be either:

1. Move the door inwards until the cill lip sits flush with the brickwork
    2. Just leave the doors where they are and install the cill so there’s more overhang

Option 1 will mean there’s more of a mess on the outside as there will be a gap all the way around that will need filled somehow. I need to get a roughcaster in anyway but not sure if he would fill that type of gap and how it would look, especially as they’ve installed some wooden batons at the bottom of the doors for fire stops and the fitters will probably just fill the gap with expanding foam.

Option 2 means the lip of the cill won’t be flush to the brickwork and might “flex” on the edge if there’s a big overhang, plus cutting edge off the deck might not be great (the deck board overhangs a bit so I think there’s nothing structural to cut).

Just not sure which is the best option…?

The house is a 60s Bett Home in Scotland, so very recessed windows..! Building Control have been real sticklers so far so I want to make sure this is right.

door

redmex
    Free Member

The extra 75 mm will hang well over the outer brick as it should but I would have thought the cill is screwed to the bottom meaning they’ve all to come out and back in again . Basic mistakes from surveyor or whoever measured up
    Had it not been decking but new slab steps it could have been an easy option to resolve

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’d want to be seeing a door set on a sill pan to provide positive drainage past the outside of the building envelope.
    But my experience is wood built houses or on slab installs.
    I cant see any reason why you would want any runoff down the face of the doors sitting on a course of bricks and relying on caulk over foam to stop that water weaping under the door.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Oh! Bi-fold chat?

My mistake. Nothing to see here.
    Move along, move along…

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Good news!  They came back a week ago armed with a longer cill and replaced the short one…. Much better now. They had to cut a tiny piece out the decking but that’s not a big deal.

Onwards to get the outside finished now!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Interesting foam job!

GoatKarma
    Free Member

It’s been trimmed down now at least, but my walls now appear to be 90% foam! Got a builder coming into to fill some holes and re-render around the door frame, plus fit an L shaped pvc trim to cover the bits they can’t render (i.e all that bleedin’ foam!!).

Sandwich

L shaped pvc trim to cover the bits they can’t render (i.e all that bleedin’ foam!!).

At least it’s a FENSA approved install. Some of my old windows haven’t got the foam twixt brickwork and frame meaning there’s a cold spot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.