• This topic has 38 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by rc300.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Help identifying an old Specialized
  • 103keef
    Free Member

So I picked up an old Specialized full suspension bike the other day.
    Have done loads of surfing the net but can’t find out what model it is.
    It’s an Alluminium frame and from the design, would guess at late 90’s/early 2000’s. The front forks may be an upgrade, rear shock is KS.
    Wheels are 26″ with Discs and 24 speed gears.
    Any ideas?
    specialized

relliott6879
    Free Member

Can you post a pic?

103keef
    Free Member

Thought I had but the link doesn’t seem to work.
    Try this.
    specialized

Davesport

Is it something else re-badged as a Spesh?

jam-bo

That’s not a Specialized.

jam-bo

That’s some stickers that say Specialized on the side of a piece of crap.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not sure what it is but not an old Spec, anything of theirs from that era would have a had a linkage like this:
    spec

trumpton
    Free Member

you’ve been had. Thats a BSO.( Bicycle Shaped Object ). It will ride awfully. Get rid of it. Sorry.

Drac

Yeah that’s a shed with stickers on it, someone has pulled a fast one.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Oh dear….

Not like any Specialized I’ve ever seen.

tomhoward

I’m struggling to recall any model that had the Specialized logo on upside down. If you are lucky it might be one of the early 00 Saracen bso’s on account of the Zoom DC forks (also garbage), but I wouldn’t hold out too much hope.

If it’s from ebay, report for counterfeit goods?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep single pivot so not spec.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

As above, looks like yiu may have landed a mass-produced low-busget catalogue thimgummy. Muddy Fox Vortex or Boss Stealth sort of design. Something of that ilk. It seems to have extra touches such as multi-position rear shock mount. Even sculpted stays/dropouts and some minor gusset action. So, not sure what it is.

The seatpost is threatening the rear shock with murder. Additionally, I think that the rims are labelled ‘STHEALT B2’

Could they not spell ‘stealth’?

rascal
    Free Member

That’s not a Specialized but it is ‘special’. Hope you didn’t pay more than a fiver for it as that’s about what it’s actually worth. Demand the seller has it back!

nickjb
    Free Member

The seatpost is threatening the rear shock with murder.

Real Specialized bikes from the 90s did that too, so at least that is ‘right’ if nothing else is

muggomagic

Real Specialized bikes from the 90s did that too, so at least that is ‘right’ if nothing else is

The real specialized bikes had a stopper so the post couldn’t go down past the seat tube (well at least my brothers old FSR did)
    But as above that is not a specialized. Reminds me of this amazing Santa cruz I saw for sale on Facebook.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thats not a Spesh, thats a POS Ditchfinder.

sandwicheater

Your grass could do with a bit of a trim too OP.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It does look like a generic Chinese BSO that someone has put triple clamp forks on (which are probably worth more than the rest of the bike).

crazy-legs

I know I’m repeating what everyone else has said but there is no way in hell that is a Specialized.

I don’t even think it’s one of those shitty FS Saracens that they churned out for a while, it’ll be a random Toys R Us / Argos / catalogue store special worth about £4.72.

legend
    Free Member

Rockhopper

It does look like a generic Chinese BSO that someone has put triple clamp forks on (which are probably worth more than the rest of the bike).

Pretty certain those are also BSO specific forks

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The forks are about £100 so my point still stands 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

Yeah, but those pedals have got to worth something.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If someone pays £100 for the forks they need their heads testing. The whole thing is something you’d pay about £80 for from Argos.

I’m guessing from the disappearance of the OP from this post that they weren’t aware that this was a POS with some eBay stickers thrown on it (badly). Ooops.

stumpy01

If you squint enough & ignore the triple crown forks, it does look a teeny bit like my 2001 FSR XC.

But, as above. It’s a cunningly disguised BSO.

The real specialized bikes had a stopper so the post couldn’t go down past the seat tube

Mine didn’t, as I found out when I dropped my saddle at Chicksands many years ago…only put a small gouge in the shock can, so it was all good!

muggomagic

My brother’s did as it annoyed him that he couldn’t put it down further on steep descents. He even took the seatpost out and put it in his backpack when we tried our late 90s/early 00s version of rampage down the side of a quarry.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The OP seems to have only ever made one post which is the first one in this thread. Is it someone using a fake account to wind everyone up do you think?

103keef
    Free Member

Doh!
    I am still alive, not committed suicide yet!
    It came free with a Commencal that I bought. If I get the asking price for that, then I will only lose about £50.

stumpy01

It came free with a Commencal that I bought.

Sure it’s a Commencal? 😉

duckman

Doffs cap to Stumpy!

103keef
    Free Member

Mmm, I ‘Kin hope it’ a genuine!
    Not sure if I coukd take any more bad news:

Latest Classified Ads

Drac

Interesting.

Lets try and define what we mean by ‘private’

The ‘spirit’ of our forum is one where users can turn their old, surplus or unwanted kit into extra cash to enable them to buy new bits to help them get out and continue riding. The Classified Forum is not a place where users can earn a living or supplement their income by buying and selling parts. users who exploit our forum in this way will be considered to be trading. How we define trading is down to our judgement and we may ask you for an explanation of your sale in order to make this judgement. We will look at each instance reported to us or spotted by us on a case by case basis and then we will act at our discretion.

103keef
    Free Member

If I was a Trader, I would have gone out of business a long time ago judging by my fopar!
    I bought the Commencal for myself but was offered a Mondraker a few days later which was a bike I’d always wanted so decided to sell the Commencal.

clint182
    Free Member

fopar?
    faux pas?
    Fox pass?

Poopscoop

Scotroutes, you are a very naughty boy!😏

Go look in wanted if you lot want to know why…

jimmyoto
    Free Member

fopar?
    Four-bar?? – unfortunately not!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FUBAR?

legend
    Free Member

Well that’s over-priced by around £90

rc300
    Free Member

This reminds me of when I went to look at a full suspension cannondale advertised in the local paper twenty years ago. It was a BSO but with “cannondale” writen in dymo tape on the down tube

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Help identifying an old Specialized’ is closed to new replies.