Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Help! Headset problem
  • timberjack
    Free Member

I am trying to make an old 2004 giant xtc 4 rideable again for my daughter to use but I can’t get the play out of the headset,I have cleaned and greased the bearings and they seem fine but if I take the play out of the steerer it becomes really stiff to turn, I ordered a new headset but it didn’t include new cups and when I installed the new bearings I still have the same problem as above (more wasted money)do you think the cups are worn and if so can anyone recommend a headset which includes cups and is cheap, cheers

timberjack
    Free Member

Ignore the above post after a bit of research I think the integrated cups where the bearings sit in must be worn so basically the bike is knackered

orangeboy
    Free Member

My memory’s a bit hazy but a lot of giants around that age used zero stack headsets with the press in cups sitting flush with the outside of the frame.

Do you have any photos ?

Or is the headset top cap binding on the frame and just needs a spacer

timoth27

What /\/\ he said. I very much doubt a 2004 bike had an intergrated head set. Much more likely to have an integral (aka zero stack) Head set.

Have a look here

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

Using the above document measure the frame, I’d guess it will measure 44mm top and bottom. Which is hope No2 or zs44 (zero stack 44mm) what you have tried to fit is an Is41 or hope No3 which is 3mm too small which would explain why it might seem loose or worn.

for what you want the bike for Plenty of options on eBay for about £10 search zs44

Obviously this is speculation currently but if you upload a pic it will hopefully become clearer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Help! Headset problem’ is closed to new replies.