Home Forums Bike Forum Help finding O-ring for Wheels mfg BB

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help finding O-ring for Wheels mfg BB
  • blokeuptheroad

Help! Changing the bearings on a Wheels mfg bottom bracket (BB86/92) and the rubber O-ring that sits between the inner and outer tube has snapped. I couldn’t find any online, plenty of dust seals and spacers, but no O-rings. Or places that have had them but are out of stock.

I measured the snapped one as best I could and bought a couple of different sizes from a bearing supplier. 24mm OD, 2mm & 1.5mm cross section. Annoyingly, the 1.5mm is too small (tubes rattle) and the 2mm too big (tubes won’t fit together)! They don’t sell an in-between size.

I went to my LBS (Pearce Cycles) who were really helpful. They had a rummage through all their O rings but couldn’t find the right size. They reckon because it’s US made, it’s some weird imperial size. Any ideas where I can get one?

Screenshot_20240604-151006

jimmy748

Put the broken o ring back on with the split at the bottom, single wrap of ptfe tape, to hold it in place, bit of grease smeared around it, and refit it.

letmetalktomark

Expensive to solve a single issue but handy to have in reserve for other o ring related disasters:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-hayes-imperial-o-ring-selection-box-225-pcs/4874j

blokeuptheroad

Thanks, both viable options. It does fit back together with the broken ring and a bit of grease.  I hadn’t thought of PTFE tape. I’ll have a closer look at the sizes on that Screwfix selection box to see if one might fit. It’d be a pisser to buy it and then find none fit!

Speeder

I’ve got that selection box, if you find one that’s the right size I’m happy to send it over.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Could it be the ’24mm ID Outer Silicone Seal’ listed in their service kit which unfortunately doesn’t give all the dimensions?  The items listed do all appear to be metric sizes though

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-bracket-parts/seals-orings/bottom-bracket-service-kit.html

Can’t find a clearer shot of the box lid, that may have the details

Rubber_Buccaneer

or there is a

7/8″x1/16″ O-Ring

in the kit but that is notably smaller than 24mm (about 22.225 x 1.5875)

blokeuptheroad

I’ve got that selection box, if you find one that’s the right size I’m happy to send it over.

That’s a really kind offer thanks 👍 Tbh though I can’t work out which one might fit!

Could it be the ’24mm ID Outer Silicone Seal’ listed in their service kit

Maybe? But I can’t find one in stock anywhere and as you say, without the other dimension I can’t source one elsewhere. Sub-optimal, but I’ve put it back together with the broken O-ring and a load of grease. It does it’s job of providing a friction fit between the inner and outer tubes. I’ll keep an eye out for one for the next time I change the bearings.

wheelsonfire1

Contact Wheels Manufacturing directly, usually very good or Freewheel/Madison, the UK distributor, usually excellent!

tthew

Have you got a local hardware shop? They’ll have a massive selection box of o rings below the counter and will find the one that fits if you take the bits of BB in.

Rubber_Buccaneer

^ well done, I think you’ve nailed it 👍

dartdude
    Free Member

There’s usually spares in box no.

I have a spares though might only be for spacers :/

I’d happily send one though mines for bsa threaded 30mm.

blokeuptheroad

RM, good find. That tells me exactly what size I need. Perfect, thanks mate 👍

dartdude cheers for the offer, but now I know the exact size, I should be able to order one.

No worries bud. Glad to help.

dartdude
    Free Member

😎😎

Inbox me if needed and I’ll rummage in the goodies box next to me 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.