• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Help finding 2 cyclists Fair Oak, Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

at around 5:30-6pm last night my OH (driving) was involved in an incident (deliberately hit) with another car after apparently being ‘too cautious’ over taking 2 cyclists. Cars were a dark red 306 and a green focus estate.

This happened on the b3354 between fair oak and colden common.

Cyclists would remember as one of them was almost taken out and given a ‘hand signal’ from the guy in the car.

Please help us find the only witnesses.

garage-dweller

Assume you have reported to Hants’ boys in blue? If you got a reg or partial + vehicle description they MIGHT be able to find a suspect.

Lots of aggressive prats around Hampshire at the minute but thats paricularly poo. Hope you find them (the cyclists and the culprits)

thomthumb
    Free Member

got the reg & reported it. Need a witness as it’s one word against another.

driving into the back of a car at 30 mph then running a car off the road is mental behaviour. This guy needs to be found.

nbt

That’s awful. Shared this thread on FB in case any peeps I know can help

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This guy needs to be found.

and never allowed to drive again…

soma_rich
    Free Member

We the Police helpful Tom? Cant think its anyone I know but your right the driver does need to be found!

Speshpaul

Hope Mrs thom is ok.
    I’didn’t get out there tonight and the same time next week they maybe on a regular ride or commute.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

driving into the back of a car at 30 mph

How can this be the word of one against another? It must have left evidence.

If you drive into the back of someone then you are at fault. Either something hasn’t come through in the OP or Plod are giving you the run around.

franksinatra

How can this be the word of one against another? It must have left evidence.

If you drive into the back of someone then you are at fault. Either something hasn’t come through in the OP or Plod are giving you the run around.

I’m pretty sure the point of this thread is not to speculate, argue or question the police. Instead, I am sure the idea is to contact the witness who can provide facts rather than internet speculation.

That is all

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Fair enough.

You might as well look for the needle in the haystack, rather than use the evidence you do have in front of you.

A bit random, but s’up to you.

bails

A bump on the back of the car doesn’t prove anything that was written in the OP does it?

It could be a result of parking damage, or an accidental bump in traffic 2 weeks ago.

I’ve got family down that way, will pass on to them.

singletrackmind

BBC Radio Solent perhaps??

Surely this is a hit and run offence + leaving the scene of an accident + Dangerous driving / Driving with undue care ?

I dont know if this will help anyone , but any clues on the bikes and kit would help . Work a few miles away but dont know anyone who rides round there. NewForce website might be worth a punt.

catsplums
    Free Member

I am local and know a fair few local riders, if you get any better description of the bikers/ bike I will ask about… they might go to lordswood or stokepark woods a bit so might be worth a notice on the boards at the enterances… long shot but worth a go.

thomthumb
    Free Member

OH’s ok, whiplash from the bump & hitting the kerb, having nightmares about it too. also reluctant to drive.

However insurance have just told her that the car’s probably written off!

As said above the car has some marks on it but what does that prove – could have happened at the supermarket – We are trying to find witnesses to verify what actually happened.

as for bike descriptions; road bikes, and one rider in white one in orange. I know it’s not much to go off but that’s all she remembers.

I was out on the road last night but only spoke to one cyclist.

thanks for the support.

Steelsreal

have you tried the clubs like Sotonia, fareham wheelers etc,

live in fair oak so will keep my eyes peeled for a pair of roadies, usually ride that way on a tuesday night, whereabouts on the Bwhatsist are we talking?

Markie
    Free Member

Could the police put up a notice board on the side of the road?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Firstly, thoughts are with MrsTT.
    Secondly – a couple of random thoughts – and time consuming… and I know they go beyond your OP request but..
    Surely the car that was involved must also be in a bit of a state = worth a night or two loitering in the area at a similar time, given it was rush hour= driver may well follow the same route every day, at that sort of time? Same goes for potentially spotting the cyclists?

+ this

Surely this is a hit and run offence + leaving the scene of an accident + Dangerous driving / Driving with undue care ?

Worth pursuing this asking the police to be checking with local vehicle repair places?

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

I guess if the cyclists were commuters that they might be found round about the same time on the same stretch of road?

corroded
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your OH’s experience. I was almost run off the road in NE Hampshire last year by someone who thought I was giving a group of cyclists too much space. He was in a Megane people carrier with his family.

Have you considered whether the cyclists were commuters riding home. Might be worth leafletting local workplaces. Good luck.

29erKeith
    Free Member

That’s Shit! Thom hope she’s ok and gets her confidence back soon and the car sorted.

You said you’d reported it to the police and you had the reg, did the police approach the driver with the information which I assume he’d deny or have they simply refused to do so without a witness? If it’s the latter I’d probably try pushing it with them and possibly make a complaint

manton69

I work on the roundabout in CC, just above where the incident occurred. I will pass this around the office and see if there are any others that saw this. It may be an idea to drop in to others on the estate to see if they could ask around.

dobo
    Free Member

blimey just noticed this, i work in Eastleigh a few times a week and pass the usual commuters but this could be anyone so doesnt ring a bell. if 2 riders then possibly not commuting? i know people that travel by car that way at that time, i’ll ask, you never know

i will look out for the cars and cyclists like this as well.

RustySpanner

Markie – Member

Could the police put up a notice board on the side of the road?

Could you put one up as well/instead?

Good luck, hope they’re found quickly.

adeeree
    Free Member

I’m really sorry to be a severe pessimist but even if found, convicted and sentenced, they’ll only get a small slap on the wrist. I’ll bet they wouldn’t even get a ban. It makes you wonder what to do, because ,it seems, doing something is only just better than nothing! Having said that I do hope you find the witnesses and I am completely wrong.

bugcab
    Free Member

Did you say police are not prepared to investigate this without other witnesses or do you need them for the insurance claim? Deliberately ramming another vehicle would be classed as dangerous driving under the Road Traffic Act and is a criminal offence. A prison sentence would be contemplated by the Court if he/she were convicted where the driving has caused another to crash. As for one persons word against another, nearly every case that goes to Court is one persons word against one other. It should make no difference. Of course it would be great if your cyclist witness could be found but having an independent witness is not a pre-requisite for pursuing a criminal complaint. As you have the reg no of the other vehicle it can be traced and inspected by police. If it has damage or has been hastily repaired it would support your account. Maybe the driver has previous convictions for aggressive behaviour or driving and again that could be used to support the account. Have you been given a crime report or incident number (sometimes called CRIS or STORM) as this confirms that the complaint has actually been logged? If not and you want the police to act you should put in writing that you want to make a complaint of dangerous driving and want a response. Terrible situation and hope your O/H feels better about this soon.

DT78
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this, asked about, no-one I know. Hope you identify them. If you do have the reg you can find out the registered keepers address via DVLA.

spacemonkey

This is just sh1t. I really hope your OH makes a speedy recovery in all depts. Someone has to be brought to account and hopefully banged up too.

Surely the car that was involved must also be in a bit of a state = worth a night or two loitering in the area at a similar time, given it was rush hour= driver may well follow the same route every day, at that sort of time? Same goes for potentially spotting the cyclists?

Is there any way you can follow up with local garages/workshops to see if that car has gone in for repair work? I guess they wouldn’t be at liberty to tell you anything unless they kind of sided with your story.

cyclestrian
    Free Member

Have you tried looking on Strava? Long shot but as far as I can see, at three riders logged segments on 11th September heading North on that road. You could contact them via Strava I think. Perhaps there are other sites similar to Strava you could look at.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1561463
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1841977

Have tweeted a link to this thread, good luck and do post back if you make progress.

nbt

ANy joy on this?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Help finding 2 cyclists Fair Oak, Eastleigh, Hampshire’ is closed to new replies.