Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help: car mechanics, can’t find where the knocking noise is coming from
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

Mrs D has a 2013 Renault Megane 1.5 dCi ECO Dynamique sports Tourer with about 85000 miles.

She’s owned it for a year, it was a company car, owned by her work. She got it for the same price as a garage had offered on a trade in, full service history, timing belt changed last year before we bought it. Never owned a Renault before but it was a good price which convinced us.

It has a knocking noise coming from the front drivers side, possibly from the engine.

It’s been to several different mechanics, various different parts replaced in the suspension, and today the engine mount part 112108807R.

Unfortunately, nothing has cured the problem and all the mechanics have given up. It’s just passed the mot today, it was put on a rocker and poked and prided but couldn’t diagnose anything. I don’t want to keep throwing money at it if it doesn’t fix it.

Any mechanics or Renault owners out there with any advice apart from sell it and buy a vw?

Thanks

Greybeard
    Free Member

If it’s passed an MoT it’s unlikely to be suspension or anything else safety related. Could be something odd like the pulley on the alternator. I’d be tempted to leave it and see if it gets worse – if it doesn’t it’s not a problem, and if it does you’ve got more info to work out what it is. But I’m only an amateur mechanic.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Wifes earring?

singletrackmind

More info required
    Speed / Gear / rolling in neutral/ clutch in /out/ potholes/ straight lines / speed humps.
    Could be .- DMF , ARB link, Driveshaft, Cambelt tensioner , Wishbone bush, brake pads , CRB I could go on and on but without knowing when it does it , and if it is repeatable then its just abbreviation roulette

timber

Without knowing the sound, would suggest checking exhaust mounts. Missing or knackered rubbers/hangers can allow excess movement.

matt_outandabout

Loose battery?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

What SingletrackMind said….
    But it’s probably the left Falange.

paton
    Free Member

Wheel balance weights on inside of rim hitting brake caliper.

singletrackmind

+Greybeard . Possible Alt Overun Pulley

muzz
    Free Member

Have a look under bonnet around battery, tray, air filter holder, plastic venting etc there could be something loose. Stick sponges or like into loose bits and see if it helps.

If vehicle has plastic under tray look for rocks or socket from previous mechanical work rattling about

TheFlyingOx

Broken exhaust clamp. Seriously.
    I’ve had undiagnosable knocking on two cars now and both times, after a fair amount of money spent chasing it, it’s been broken exhaust clamps causing three exhaust to bang against the underside of the car.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help: car mechanics, can’t find where the knocking noise is coming from’ is closed to new replies.