Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help a noob with tyre choice for Southern terrain
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a bike in years, but i’d like to get into mountain biking. I’m in the process of building a hard tail for XC and trails. General use really. I’ll mainly be riding around the South Downs and the Surrey Hills, with a mix of everything else in between.

I need a pair of tubeless tyres (folding?) for year round use. I have a 26″ stans arch rims with 19mm internal width.
    I hear the south downs is quite punishing due to rocks/flint and can puncture tyres quite badly. Obviously I’ll need something that isn’t made of cheese.
    I’ve had recommendation to run schwalbe, but I’ve also read that many say these are easily punctured.
    I’ve also read that continental with protection are quite good and puncture resistant. Now there are a lot of reviews of continental, and a couple of years ago they brought out new versions, so I don’t think it’s worth anyone commenting on them unless you’ve tried the new version, as it just adds noise without substance to this thread.

I’ve seen recommendations for many different flavours of tyre, it all gets a bit overwhelming. Which is why i’ve only mentioned schwalbe and continental.

I’ve seen schwalbe tyres for around £30 each, but I can get a good deal on continental protection black chili tyres for around £40 each.
    I just wanted to gauge what people’s thoughts are on here?
    I’m not prepared to change my rims right now, so please refrain from mentioning it. Many thanks.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

I run Specialized Butchers/Slaughters and Eliminators in the grid compound up on the downs and in the Surrey hills. Seem to be tough enough for the job so far.
    Not sure they’re available in 26″.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think the terrain here is all that hard on tyres – unless you get unlucky with flint, and then nothing you’ll want to pedal uphill will be tough enough. The thing that usually stops flint cuts is having enough knob height – I had way more casing cuts with a semi slick than with more knobbly tyres.

Is anyone still clearing out their old 26” tyres or have most of us finished?! If they are you might get some cheap/free tyres to try.

However, saying all that you’ll struggle to go wrong with a pair of DHR2 2.3 Exo, with both in dual compound or the front in MaxxTerra 3C.

garage-dweller

South Downs rider for the last 25 years. For out in the hills riding I’ve probably torn half a dozen tyres in all those years and I’ve run all sorts of brands over that time. Most of them have been catching a sharp flint on flatter stuff.

In 26″ it’s a bit run what you can find these days.

I’ve found Specialized Storm Controls acceptable in the winter as a rear (not been able to find any lately) and my hardtail has a Purgatory up front, it’s ok but the Specialized Butcher on my FS is better although both will clog.

In the summer I’ve run all sorts out back – something with a fairly fast rolling pattern but tend to keep a few knobbly bits (as post above) as I reckon they force a little space between carcass and flint.

The key thing is not to ride like a sack of spuds and try not to slam wheels into flints.

ampthill

With 26″ I’d just do a wanted ad. Some one will post you a selection for not much. Once you know what you like you can buy new. I wouldn’t worry too much about stronger casings etc. particularly when starting out

My preferred combo on 26 was a Bonty xr4 at the front and a Schwalbe racing Ralph at the back riding similar conditions (mid Beds). I have only ever cut a side wall with a rim brake

ajt123
    Free Member

With 26 it is becoming quite hard to get tyres, I feel your pain.

This area is, as people have said above, very weather dependent.

In summer, you car get away with fast rolling rear. Maxxis Ardents, Schwalbe Rock Razor, or a Specialized Slaughter.

Pair with a Maxxis DHF upfront.

Winter it can be quite grim. Surrey Hills drain, but North and South Downs are a mudbath.

Something that cuts through.

ajt123
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty a decent option.

Free Member

Hmm thanks for the suggestions, but once again, too many options.

I’ll put up a wanted ad and see what comes up.

I think a question that’s more to the point, what should I avoid?

chiefgrooveguru

“I think a question that’s more to the point, what should I avoid?”

I think I’ve seen people riding pretty every tyre imaginable down here! Once you’ve found what works for you then you may have a strong opinion but everything from 1.8” to 4.8” and almost-slick to mud spike and XC to DH casing works for someone.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I remember when the standard answer to this question on here was ‘Conti Verticals’ lol

I’d look for a pair of Rocket Rons….

crab
    Free Member

Have a look at wtb vigilante, I put one on the front and prefer it to a minion. Also on 26.

Free Member

Looks like a heavy tyre!

But as I said, i’m after tyres that I can use year-round. I don’t want to be swapping constantly.

ajt123
    Free Member

One tyre to rule them all?

Have a look at a Schwalbe Nobby Nic, or a michelin wild gripR.

jezzep

Hiya,

Live in the North downs for 21 years, now the SW.

+1 for WTB vigilante supperb tyres in the wet, my new favourite tyre.
    Schwalbe, yuck I hate them if only for the fact I prefer a tyre that is relatively easy to get on a rim.
    Maxxis good in the wet and roots I like Minions for the front.

JeZ

joebristol

If you can get them a Maxxis Minion DHF front and DHR2 rear is hard to fault as an all rounder. 2.3” at both ends, exo casing if you’re pedally some distance. 3c compound for the front dhf and dual compound on the dhr2. Job jobbed.

My mate is running those on his full suss around Surrey hills and some surrounding areas.

He’s also running a Spec Butcher front / purgatory rear on his hardtail for similar riding. Both 2.3” grid casing / gripton rubber. Generally cheaper than the Maxxis above – very similar tyres really.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help a noob with tyre choice for Southern terrain’ is closed to new replies.