• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helmet light recommendations
  • ross980
    Free Member

Now that nights are closing in 🙊 and it’s nearly night riding season (ok, it’s not, but with current supply issues it’s probably the time to plan ahead).
    I want a light for my helmet, needs to be stand alone, lightweight and ~ 2hrs (min) run time. Focused beam is ok (using with a bar mounted light for wider been spread). I’ve tried a couple of generic “1000 lumen” type rechargeable torches that I’ve bought for general duties/dog walking, but they feel too heavy once mounted.

Is the go to still an Exposure (probably a Joystick), or is there anything out there that’s just as light and offers 80% of the performance for 30% of the price?

MoreCashThanDash

I picked up a Joystock in a sale last summer – think it was one or two generations behind the current one, and it’s been a revelation for my mince core lite night riding – bright, light, long enough run time.

Think I saw a notification of an Exposure factory sale, though might still find older models cheaper elsewhere

ross980
    Free Member

The two links above seem more expensive than Joysticks… Mk13 can be had with both mounts for £90 from Tredz. I’m wondering whether there’s something nearly as good for £30-50 (think I might already know the answer to this…). Weight is the biggest issue for helmet lights IME. I can justify £90 if it gets my riding more through winter. I already have a few bar mounted light with separate frame mounted battery packs. Ultimately I want to go completely wire free, but I’ll start with the helmet light first

z1ppy

Simply, it’s not a high price when a device last for years.. that £130 is £75 for two years.. £43 if used for three.. and so and so forth. But I agree with you about the Mk13 being £50 cheaper than a new Mk 15.. is that extra cost worthwhile?
    I was tempted by the fou4th but the switch doesn’t sound to work great with gloves, and Exposure will repair their torches (which remind me, my m8 needs to send his [dropped] 6pack off)

dc1988

I tried a few different cheap options but eventually got a Joystick mk13 a couple of years ago. I don’t regret it one bit, it’s a fantastic light that’s powerful and light enough whilst also having enough run time. For £90 I’d just get it.

I pair it with the Halfords 1600 lumen on the bars, that’s somewhere you can make your saving without worrying about the weight (the Halfords light is plenty bright and long lasting battery).

tonyd

Exposure fanboi here. On the value point made by z1ppy, I have a mk4 Diablo still going strong. It’s down to about 90mins run time now which is frustrating as my weekly ride is about 2 hours, but it’s easy enough to manage for now by only turning it on for the twisty stuff.

oikeith

I walked into the LBS this time last year and asked about picking up a diablo and maxx d, they werent having a sale but did do me a good deal on the pair and they were great over the winter months.

russianbob
    Free Member

I bought a Diablo and a MaxxD earlier this year. MaxxD is AMAZING. Diablo is ok but battery life seems pretty short and is out lit by the MaxxD so you have to get used to turning it on only when needed.

tonyd

Diablo will never compete with a MaxxD! I have a Toro on the bars which is brilliant, but probably not as good as the MaxxD. The Diablo is good on the helmet as it’s a single unit (no wires), light-ish (no wobbling), and bright enough to look around corners on the twisty stuff. As I said, mine is mk4 and still going strong, they’re now on mk12 I think?

To help preserve battery life I don’t turn mine on until I hit the trails proper (ride in from home), and have put it into a high/low mode rather than turning it on/off.

toby

I’ve got one of the Aldi lights that’s *cough* cosmetically similar to a Lezyne Micro Drive, that’s then on a GoPro mount on the helmet.

It’s great for throwing a bit of extra light and spotting turns etc. Wouldn’t use it as a main light, though.

abingham

While I am an Exposure fanboi, they are renowned for excellent aftercare and as @z1ppy mentioned earlier, the cumulative cost is often less than cheaper lights in the long run. The newer Joysticks still kick out over 1000 lumens so absolutely plenty for dawn/dusk by themselves and paired with a bigger bar light for proper night rides.

jkomo

I love my exposure stuff, but Moon lights worth a look. Lots of power and most of the big ones have a helmet strap mount. The batteries are replaceable, although mine is still working fine after a few years. It does mean if you wanted an all night ride you could carry some of those 1865(?) type cells and just replace mid ride.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helmet light recommendations’ is closed to new replies.