Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • He'll grow into it (from small to large frame in one jump)
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    I’ve got a bike sitting around that I am considering selling. It’s a really nice bike, large 26″.

It occurred to me that my eldest lad (now 11) will at some point be looking to upgrade. He’s currently on a small 26″. I could keep the bike in storage for him instead of selling. However it’ll be a good 3-4 years before he’s tall enough for it I would think.
    If I am going to keep it for him then I want to be confident this will work out. Being a 26″ it’s going to devalue from here on in (i.e. if I am going to sell, it’s better to sell now)

Has anyone else’s kids gone from a small to a large frame in one jump? Did that work OK?

Also has anyone held onto a bike for a while for their kids? How did that work out? I’m kind of concerned that the tech will move on and I’ll end up buy him a different one anyway~! Either that or he’ll turn his nose up at my old gear!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Can’t talk about kids, but I can about myself.

I’ve ridden in the past 16″ and 18″ 456’s. My brothers 20 was too big for me.

Thats the equivalent of what you’re suggesting I think. The 16 worked ok with a long seat post and stem. The 18 was generally better, although lacked the maneuverability of the 16 in the woods due to the higher top tube. the 20 was just a no go.

What I learned was that the top tube getting in the way was the key issue.

I now generally ride 19″/large bikes, because well, moar reach iz betterer, but they all have low top tubes.

That said, your lad might not be full height until 17 or 18. Although its going to depend what bike it is, I suspect it might be a bit too much of a stretch

funkmasterp

To be fair it will have already devalued a hell of a lot. I’d sell it now if I were you. Maybe keep the money to put towards your sons next bike?

el_boufador

For its size, it’s got a low TT. The other thing I could do I guess is keep the bits and swap the frame out if it’s too much of a jump (could do that with his current bike too I suppose)

gwurk
    Free Member

My youngest has had all her big sisters bikes waiting for her to grow into since birth. She’ll then have mine (if she still likes bikes by teen/adulthood).
    None of them are Large as I’m only 5’11”.
    She’s learning to ride properly (BMX) so won’t ever need the stupidly long bikes that are in fashion at the moment.

Why not buy your son a frame that fits him and transfer all the parts from the “really nice” but far too big bike for him?
    Second hand 26″ frames is a buyers market

Goldigger
    Free Member

I have a medium Anthem that might fit him…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘He'll grow into it (from small to large frame in one jump)’ is closed to new replies.