Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Heel slip/lift in carbon soled shoes
  • t3ap0t
    Free Member

Ordered some wide fit Lake shoes with carbon soles recently, tried multiple sizes in half size increments to get the best fit, however when I walk my heel slips up a fair bit. I can get rid of most of this by tightening the boa nearest the ankle a lot, but this is probably going to cut off my circulation.

I emailed Lake who said that heel slip when walking wasn’t uncommon, and it won’t happen on the bike. I can see that it’s probably not an issue pedalling when seated but is it likely to be an issue when out of the saddle? I don’t really want to fit cleats and find out or else I won’t be able to return them, and being carbon soled they are expensive. Can live with having to tighten them to walk in.

Any other suggestions for wide fitting shoes with normal/narrow heels? Thinking of trying some Sidis which seem to have more shaped heels – the Lakes are pretty straight – however would need the mega versions which say they have a wider heel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The stiffer the sole, the more heel life you’ll get when walking. You foot wants to bend, your shoe doesn’t.

My feet don’t bend when riding.

Which Lakes did you get? My MX241 has a heat mouldable heel cup.

davemonty
    Free Member

My old Specialized shoes slipped more than I liked at the heel. Used some kinesio tape to pack the heel out a bit, and it’s texture was rough enough to help my foot stay in place. Obv not the tidiest solution but I’m sure there’s grippy stuff you could stick onto the heel to keep your foot a bit more planted as a quick cheap fix before spending $$$’s on Sidis that might not be any better? (sidis were too tight on the forefoot for me). My Northwave shoes have a nice rough texture on the heel to help this, think shimano ones do too.

gray

I recently got Lake 238s and was concerned about this. I was reassured that it probably wouldn’t be an issue when riding, and it isn’t. I tried 241s too, and wanted to like them and mould the heel cups, but one of the seams by my toe kind of rubbed, so I was more worried about that! Honestly either would probably have been fine once worn it, but I’d ideally have had a 238 toe box and a 241 heel!

So I say “it’ll probably be fine, don’t waste too much time overthinking it like I did”.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Sidis…. Look for models with adjustable heel cup

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel. I had to go up 2 UK sizes in Shimano wide fit for them to be wide enough, but not had any problems with heel lift. I ordered some Bont shoes at the end of last year in wide and double wide fit, no problems with heel lift but still not wide enough for me,

BigJohn

All my SPD shoes are much too big (both road and mountain bike) but never cause a problem when riding. Even singlespeeding.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I got the MX238, thought the heels were mouldable but no.

They are still returnable so maybe I could still order some Sidis and keep whichever are best, unfortunately doesn’t look like they do the Mega wide fitting ones with adjustable heel cups.

Had Shimano shoes in the past and they are on the narrow side for me even after sizing up 2 sizes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the MX238 wide fits you, it’s unlikely anything from sidi will. I couldn’t decide between the MX238 and the MX241 (both wide) as the 241 felt softer in the toe box while I imagine the 238 might be more durable.

I went for the 241 as comfort should be number one in my experience.

I also tried a wide Bont but found the bathtub sole rubbed my big toe.

The trouble with going up a size to get the width can lead to a situation where you struggle to get the cleats back far enough.

Current thinking no longer favours ball of foot over pedal spindle but rather back 20-30mm from there or between the 1st and 5th metatarsal head. Most shoes (including the Lake) only just reach this point at the rearward limit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Heel slip/lift in carbon soled shoes’ is closed to new replies.