Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hebden route advice
  • davros

Riding hebden on Saturday, only been once before and did a big xc loop which was fun but looking for some more tech this time.

Can anyone recommend any of the routes on outdoor active? There’s one called hebden bridge gnarr which may be suitable. Not looking for anything too extreme though. We’ll have a good 5-6 hours to play with.

Thanks!

richardkennerley

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/SfYjqdzGqpb

Because I’m not local, I don’t know where all the good stuff is, but you’ll definitely get that advice on here.

But the route I did above takes in the classics I’ve heard of… Blue pig, pecket well, heptonstall, zig zags.

You could then give over to the pike and take on some descents over there a well. All without trekking too far cross country and none of it extremely gnarr!!

davros

Thanks Richard, looked at yours on Strava and it looks similar. That one on outdoor active has blue pig, Ernie’s love tunnel and kebab street? Great names.

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/r/187728903?utm_source=unknown&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=user-shared-social-content

Can anyone vouch for this route or make any other suggestions?

nigew
    Free Member

There are two little tweaks I would make, on Heights road after Midgley Rd watch for a track down to your left by a house as you leave the trees, head down there and push/ ride back up the bridleway to join Raw Lane, then on Lane Ends Lane pop down the bridleway to your left by Dodnaze and bag a few snapped spokes on the rocks and back up Sandy Gate at the bottom.
    Remember quite a lot of that ride is on Cheeky stuff on a sunny Saturday, don’t piss off any one walking for us locals to deal with later 😉

davros

Ahhh thanks nige. I meant to ask whether it was all legit, I don’t want to anger any locals. Nothing like an argument to ruin your day.

Is the cheeky stuff off piste or footpaths? I may have to find an alternative guilt free route.

nickc

Lots of it isn’t anything. But that doesn’t stop the locals getting cheesed off though.

You won’t be able to ride the off piste stuff on Lee Bank (the bit of the the route below Heptonstall). It’s been fenced off by the landowner. Just continue down Blue Pig, go past the pub over the wee bridge and turn right, you’ll pick up the route from there.

nigew
    Free Member

Davros, you’ll be fine if you slow down and be right with folk, most of the moaners aren’t even local, they only moved to the area 20 yrs ago 🤣🤣
    Think I’ll be around Hebden at some point tomorrow with a couple of friends, watch out for A midnight Smurf Pace, a Nomad and a trek remedy.
    Weather looking good too, have fun 👍🏻

davros

Cheers nige, we’ll keep an eye out👍

If we get any grief I’ll tell them you authorised it.

fingerbang
    Free Member

hi, thanks for the link – i did this viewranger route last sunday. Didn’t annoy any walkers – or even see that many of them so definitely didn’t antagonise the locals

is ernie’s love tunnel now been renamed as ‘chips’ on strava?

ELT and then the mega rooty descent (think its called ‘f@ck yeah’ on strava’ on the same side of the valley were both mint of course.

I’d probably leave the Heights road climb out if I did it again as I didn’t get as much out of that section and the FP descent near the golf club

I’d probably try and work in Stakes road descent on the stoodley pike side and then quickest way up to the top of peckett well.

Also, didn’t get much joy from the FP descent next to the cemetery in Slack, as it as a slog to get back to the top of blue pig.

Also got lost in the bluebells in hardcastle crags

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.