Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Hebden Bridge and Stoodley Pike Advice
  • tomj
    Free Member

I realise that Calderdale is the centre of the world so hopefully people on here can give me a bit of advice.
    Firstly what’s the deal with riding up to the Pike itself. I realise it’s all footpaths but how cheeky is it? Will I cause all sorts of problems and upset locals or is it one people don’t mind? Riding the Pennine Bridleway underneath it I saw that the PW looked quite a good track up and there seemed to be some good descent lines. Is it worth it?

Also can anyone recommend bike friendly accommodation in Hebden Bridge. I’ve realised I can make a good ride to and from Hebden and my house, almost all off toad. Maybe have two nights with a day ride once there.
    I do know of Hebden bridge so no vegan B&Bs please. I want sausage, bacon and eggs with my breakfast.
    Thanks

Clover

I’ve heard good things about Two Hoots: http://www.twohootsguesthouse.co.uk (especially on the breakfast front).

Loads of people ride round the pike – there’s even a bridleway over the shoulder (I wouldn’t recommend it apart from the fact it’s a stunning example of a pack horse trail – looks amazing and you can imagine the pony trains trotting up it but it’s a painful climb and a bone shaking descent like doing a km of stairs). Pennines Way is ok if you don’t take the p with walkers. It’s pretty well armoured so not an erosion issue. The rock garden over the pike is wide so you don’t need to get into trail conflict. Off the front – fine in the dry if you’re not wearing away at our erosion prone landscape but less good in the wet.

There’s absolutely masses of riding of all varieties around – much of it on bridleway. I’m always up for a tour of the valley if I’m around.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Hebden Bridge and Stoodley Pike Advice’ is closed to new replies.