Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Heavyweight E bikers to the forum please.
  • ton

if you weigh less than 17 stone, please move along.

with my past health issues and failing joints, proper offroad riding is no longer fun, but i am not ready to surrender yet.
    and a brief ride on a e bike at the weekend on grizedale, i reckon the fun could come back.

so, i am gonna make a purchase.
    the bike i had a go on, was a haibike xduro. a big beefy thing, with yari forks, a air rear shock, big 2.8 tyres and 4 pot brakes.
    it felt proper planted, and was pretty hard to knock off its chosen line.
    very nice indeed.

but i am wondering what ebike any other big riders on here are riding?

there must be someone as big as me on here, who is bashing about on a ebike.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ask over on the EMTB forums, they are quite friendly & knowledgable

martymac

Im 19 stone.
    I use a cube e stereo, 120mm front and rear, 2.3 nobby nic on the front, with a 2.35 rock razor on the back.
    Motor is bosch.
    All rides just fine.
    What you thinkin? . .

avdave2

if you weigh less than 17 stone, please move along.

But surely if i get an e-bike I soon will be 17 stone `:-)

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Pal in that weight category is in the Cube E Stereo 160 with Fox 36s etc and loves it.

I’m half a stone shy of the qualifying weight but I’d say pay close attention to tyres. Tough ebike specific, double down or DH casings required!

You’re tall too I think? Mondraker Level or eCrafty are quite big. Dunno how they ride… new YT looks good.

fatoldgit
      I was over 20 stone and had health issues
      Had lost my riding mojo for a number of reasons but then I got my e bike,
      A Cube Reaction 29er hardtail and I love it…
      Got my mojo back, and now under 17 stone but can’t praise the cube highly enough.
      Do it !
    kayak23

My mate rides a Focus Sam2 and is comfortably in your category.

It’s an unreal bike. Burly as hell and it has the advantage of being able to piggyback a second battery onto it to double your range.

ton

the focus is on my list. when i had a haibike a few years ago, i bought a second battery, to be able to do long trail rides.
    i also like the look of the levo. and the cubes, but i think they have a 120kg rider weight.
    and the xduro i had a go on was pretty good.

dab

E-Mountain bike magazine have an article with the latest bikes and it includes info on maximum weights

Surprised me some of the findings

FWIW – Merida E160 is pretty hard to beat, absolutely love mine

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate of mine has that Focus, it’s bloody awesome – contrary to the beliefs of the gods on here, he’s bloody rapid and a very good rider, and he’s quicker on the downs on the Sam than he was on his Nomad, even the non pedally downs. The second battery on the focus is a handy option too.

A fair few of my mates have ebikes, and none of them are old or unfit, my next bike will have a motor for sure.

Go for it.

Tracey

When we bought the 2018 Levo we were told the max rider weight for the carbon was 125 kg and the alloy 136 kg. not sure if that’s the same for the 2019 ones.

weeksy

One of the lads is on the CUBE Reaction too and is over your weight limit requirements.

He does keep crashing, but i’m not convinced it’s down to his weight, or the bikes fault 🙂

paulx
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 Carbon Levo XL – kitted up I’m pretty much on the weight limit for it. Feels pretty planted to me but also more playful compared to the Trek Powerfly I briefly had before it.

hatter

Fellow big unit with a Focus Jam2 here. Sustained a pretty horrendous injury in late 2016 and the Jam2 has pretty much got me back in the game.

One thing to look put for is forks, the Yaris that came with the Jam2 were a divey mess and just not up to the task.

Swapped them out for some DT F535s which have a 150kg weight limit and it transformed how the bike felt on descents.

roverpig

If you had an ebike before, it might be worth reflecting on why you sold it. Not saying you shouldn’t get another, but it might give you some pointers to what to look for. That focus does look rather lovely.

What about the Orange offering? Not sure of weight limits, but it looks like a tank (in a good way in my opinion).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s more chance of me buying a gravel bike than Tony ever buying anything from Orange again! 🙂

onehundredthidiot

The break pad at kirroughtree had a beauty in the shop. Nice and chunky but don’t know what it was.

ton

If you had an ebike before, it might be worth reflecting on why you sold it. Not saying you shouldn’t get another, but it might give you some pointers to what to look for. That focus does look rather lovely.

I didn’t sell it. I had a Haibike which snapped. it was when ebikes were just normal built bike with the motor/battery added.
    I got a full refund.
    I also got mended so no longer needed one.

orange is out of the question.

roverpig

Oops, sorry, forgot your history with orange 🙂 That’s out then.

I don’t really have anything useful to contribute, but look forward to hearing how you get on.

hatter

Yup, good luck, it’s been an total game changer for me, I have some annoyingly fast friends and being able to go for long rides with them on equal terms has been great for everyone, I don’t die a thousand deaths on the climbs and they’re not hanging around waiting for me.

The daft snobbery surrounding E-MTB also seems to be finally dissipating as more people actually get to ride them. the bikes getting way better has probably helped this no end.

nordboy70
    Free Member

I ride a 2019 Haibike Xduro mtn 3.0, it’s great and is way beyond the huge lack of mtn biking talent that i possess!!!

It’s 25kg though, which is a sod when you have to lift or carry it over stiles etc

Seems really well put together as well.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Heavyweight E bikers to the forum please.’ is closed to new replies.