Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • headset spacers – gap under top cap.
  • Frisky
    Free Member

Hi.

I’m installing some spacers and I’ve cut my steerer to size so no spacers on top. I’ve read that you should leave a 2-3mm gap from the top of the fork steerer to the top cap. I’ve got a gap of 1mm. Maybe I’ll add a 3mm spacer so I’ll have a 3mm gap. What’s the reason for the gap?

Potdog
    Free Member

So that when you tighten the top cap to take out any play on the bearings it doesn’t tighten up onto the steerer.

Thats my understanding anyway.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Providing you dont take up all the 1mm gap when pre-loading the bearing (tightening the topcap) there’s no need for more space. The only way to know is try to tighten the HS up, if you can do it without still having play in the bearing you’ve got enough space.

Frisky
    Free Member

Thanks very helpful. The smaller the gap the better for me as I was getting mud build up as well.

Potdog
    Free Member

How do you get mud build up under the top cap?? That’s something I’ve never seen at that end of the bike!

james
    Free Member

“How do you get mud build up under the top cap?? That’s something I’ve never seen at that end of the bike! “

It could/can heappen if/when you turn the bike upside down when cleaning it, filling it with water (on purpose or not), the water will drain out the gaps, whereas the soil doesn’t?

Potdog
    Free Member

Ahh, that must be where I go wrong. I don’t turn the bike upside down and fill the steerer tube with water 😉

But you’re probably right, I can’t think of any other way for mud and crap to get that far up the steerer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘headset spacers – gap under top cap.’ is closed to new replies.