Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Headset headaches – SC hightower w hope pick n mix
  • d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Followed what I read was correct bearing IS41/28.6, but the bearing sits proud of the internal race/cup (sorry, can’t remember term), then everything else stacks on that. Result is top section with skirt sits about 7mm above the frame, which is clearly not right.

Has anyone experience of installing a headset and can advise which model I need please? CRC messed up and sent the wrong bottom part in an incorrectly labelled bag, so it may be same with this…

Thanks!

docrobster
    Free Member

I have that bearing in the top of the headset on the latest frame I’ve built (last fast forward) yes it sits proud of the headset. I thought it looked a bit odd but it works fine.
    Perhaps it’s meant to look like that?

docrobster
    Free Member

Ps I didn’t fit the split race for the bearing to sit on. Bearing sits directly in the frame.

honourablegeorge

Hope do two different IS41, confusingly. You need the “Campy style” one – I have a Last FF same as dcrobster, and I got the wrong IS41 (Type 3) initially, had to send it back and exchange for a Type 7

It was a late addition to the Hope range, so it’s missing from some of their published info.

It’s listed here but out of stock

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/hope-pick-n-mix-headsets-top-cup-/rp-prod70725

frogstomp

As honourablegeorge says.. if you look at the compatibility chart Type 3 has a square fit vs chamfered for Type 7 – presumably the bearing you have doesn’t have an angled edge and so is sitting above the chamfer?

singlespeedstu

I have a complete Hope headset out of a Hightower that’s going spare.
    Drop us a PM if you’re interested in it.

docrobster
    Free Member

So what is the difference between a type 3 and a type 7? Because This chart Appears to show that they are the same apart from the split race in type 3 which I have left out…
    Unless the bearings are different I can’t see a difference?

steel4real
    Free Member

Top cap is taller on the 7 compared to the 3. The 7 is supposed to be the correct one for SC frames.
    See here

‘Campy fit’ is actually the No.8 except it isn’t or at least didn’t fit my specialized frame which apparently it should. Even after Hope sent the correct bearing out as they had packaged a load of No.8’s with the bearings from No.7’s. Nuggets.

docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks for that steel4real. I’ve just ordered a number 7 from 18 bikes in hope. It’s already been dispatched 10 minutes after order placed so should be with me tomorrow. Just need to return the type 3 which was more expensive from CRC. Result!

dickydutch

Glad it’s not just me who has been through this misery!

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Hahah, likewise @dickydutch !

@docrobster
    I’d have thought the split ring is necessary as otherwise the steerer is not in contact with the bearing?

@singlespeedstu
    , ta muchly. Northwest MTB sorted me out with a Cane Creek model that fits great. Hopefully CRC will accept the fitted but unused Hope fella without the express packaging – foolishly threw that out.

@stwmembers – thanks for your awesome advice. Love this wee community

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Headset headaches – SC hightower w hope pick n mix’ is closed to new replies.