Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Head Torch
  • rwills2
    Free Member

Just getting into night riding and bought myself a Hope Vision 1 for the bars, I’m aware it probably isn’t going to be the greatest light but it’ll suffice for the time being.

I’ve decided to get a headtorch as well to supplement the Hope light. Looked at the Petzl outdoorsy ones but not sure there going to fit on top of a helmet.

Can anyone recommend a cheapish (£40?) headtorch that would be suitable.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Stick a solarstorm in there?

loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought a brand new Joystick 7 from Rutland cycles for £75.

jonba
    Free Member

Alpkit? However you’ll want something more powerful in my experience. Do some searches on here and then go onto eBay or deal extreme.

Superficial
    Free Member

A little self-contained headtorch is nowhere near powerful enough- I doubt you’ll even see it’s spot if you’re also running a vision 1. The only thing for sub £40 that will work well is a proper light off eBay – eg Solarstorm.

jools182
    Free Member

A fenix torch with a lock block to attach to the helmet

rwills2
    Free Member

I’m tempted to get the joystick from Rutland, £75 seems a bargain.

I could mount the Vision 1 on my helmet and buy another light for the bars but reviews seem to suggest the Hope is a bit heavy for helmet use.

Would the Joystick mounted on my helmet and Hope on the bars be good enough? I could return the Hope, main reason for buying it was the cost – £77 from Ribble Cycles with the battery pack and charger

tonyd

Joystick is perfect for the helmet. If you’re able to send the Hope back I’d do that, buy a joystick for helmet mounting, and a cheap Chinese something bright for the bars.

Edit: Assuming the joystick comes with helmet mount, otherwise they’re about £20 extra.

cookeaa

Ebay special one or two XML bike light is easy enough to mount on the noggin, I’ve strapped a 1×18650 powered torch on in the past (P7) and while it worked OK, after a couple of hours of joggling about off road the additional weight on the helmet doesn’t help your neck much, battery in your pack (or back pocket if riding without a pack) is much better IMO…

loddrik
    Free Member

My joystick came boxed with helmet mount.

Clobber
    Free Member

You really can’t beat this…

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumen800/

tiny little thing with great output, good quality battery and the best support, Mark is a great guy to deal with.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

501b XM-L2 – £7.50. You’ll need cells (free from an old laptop), a £5 charger and a lockblock style mount like this one for £1.50

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Do you want flood or throw?

tenfoot

Don’t mount the Hope 1 on your head.

2 reasons – 1) it’s quite heavy, so I found I needed the helmet really tight to stop it (the helmet) flopping around on my head

2) On the supplied mount, it’s quite high, which means you are prone to hitting low branches, plus the high centre of gravity probably contributes to reason 1)

I started off with a Hope 1 and I still use it now, as a light for using on the road, when my current, big lights would be too bright. It is a quality item and has been fault free over 3 years of use. Just remember,that once the batteries are low, it can cut out witohut warning.

If I were you, I’d couple it with an Ultrafire 501b or 502b style torch on your helmet or the above mtbbatteries link is good, or there is c an b seen, who are UK based suppliers.

EDIT

I mount my 501B light like this

VanHalen

A bar light is ok for xc where you don’t really do corners. For razzin in the woods it’s pointless.

Cheezpleez

Two cheap Chinese light will be much brighter than the Hope (or a Joystick) and will give you the security of a back-up if one fails. Just get whatever’s on ebay at the mo – eg Solarstorm.

zippykona

Ten foot, good mount. I’m always bashing my light.
    I would always go for a light you can change the battery on.
    Carry a few spares and you can go all night.
    Have you ever timed how long it takes to mend a muddy puncture or mechanical? They take a hefty chunk out of your burn time.
    My no name £19 light off eBay is brighter than my friends Joystick.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Head Torch’ is closed to new replies.