Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Have you got a favourite shop or Store
  • Bunnyhop

In Buxton, Derbyshire there is a gorgeous family run store.

It’s one of my favourite shops.
    One is taken back in time when stepping through the front door. The inside is full of original features, fixtures and fittings.
    The merchandise is also from a different era. Mostly a gentleman’s outfitters, but still full of goodies for other family members.

Which is your favourite store?
    Binners can’t play because we all know his favourite.

Potters of Buxton

myti
    Free Member

Amazon

Drac

Aldi.

CountZero

Wilco’s – it’s what Woolworths used to be like years ago, before they lost sight of what people went shopping there for.
    Waterstones – I like books, and I like to browse.
    Toppings Books – even better, they’ll serve a cup of tea while you’re browsing through the shelves.

Drac

it’s what Woolworths used to be like years ago, before they lost sight of what people went shopping there for.

Except no records or electric equipment but yes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decathlon, Aldi and the Chinese supermarket in cowcaddens.

Houns

TFM on the rabbit run

ads678

Subvert in Casvegas Xscape was my favourite shop, was gutted when it closed down. I pretty have to shop on line now as theres nowhere near me that sells stuff (clothes) I like.

jam-bo

Down The Line in hayle.

So much goodness.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Camden Coffee Shop when I lived in that London

https://blankboxcoffee.com/roaster/camden-coffee-shop/

fossy

My two local hardware shops. One is very good for everything and anything and out come various boxes to rummage through. The other isn’t quite as well stocked, but recently popped in for some fine torx screwdrivers (SRAM brake bleed port sized) and they had a set of 5 for a fiver.

midlifecrashes

If you can’t buy it on Donny market, it’s not worth buying.

So they said, not quite as true as it used to be, but still life in the place. We have fantastic quality butchers, fishmongers, bakers, pies, cheesestalls, and a ton of non food with some excellent bespoke and repair craftsmen still clinging on in the face of Amazon and the supermarkets. Almost never go in these days, but I do love the smell of a saddlery, Wildsmiths is our local, across from the market, piled high with fancy wellies and miles of leather straps for holding down a horsey girl.

midlifecrashes

Nearly forgot Becketts, proper old school local hardware store. Fork handles? No problem. Need one of something? No problem, or weigh the screws by the half pound. If you’re a regular and know the correct nod and wink, he’ll fetch some of the old stock of Nitromors or weedkiller that actually works from the cellar. Super little shop, third generation I think now the old boy has retired.

tthew

My two local hardware shops.

That’s a great call. Although we only have the one, it’s got 90% of everything you need for any household job. It’s maybe a little more expensive than your B&Q or Wickies, but they are at least 4 miles away on the opposite side of our local town. Weaverham Hardware is a 2 minute walk away. Or twice that with a couple of large bags of compost, (why I don’t just take my wheelbarrow…)
    GMaps link

tjagain

Nothing decent left withing miles of me unfortunately.

slowoldman

Corry’s butcher in Bramhall

Corry's

redmex
    Free Member

Corson hardware, probably more chance of seeing a wildcat or lost otter than seeing a customer walk in. Situated on the main drag in Stockbridge Edinburgh. I read the owner is rude to folk and maybe doesn’t open anytime at the weekend, premises must be worth a lot where it is

timber

Powells Garden and Forestry.
    We head over a couple of times a year, passing several so called competitors, but they have all the stuff, don’t look at you blankly when asking for stuff not in front of you, most things can be fixed and there isn’t much obsolescence, a forestry place that actually stocks and knows its forestry stuff.
    They have done the job, know the stresses machinery is put under and the work around.

Used to be in a double garage of TARDIS capacity and now bursting out of an industrial shed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha corsons. There is a website devoted to the game of corsons.

Bills tools in the barras is ace.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

For comedy value it has to be Spencers of Wells. It’s a small grocers, of the kind that are meant to be open early until late, 7 days a week, yet, in reality, it is only open from 10-4 on weekdays and closes for lunch for an hour.

It’s also opposite a medium sized Tesco and three doors down from a Spar.

I’ve never seen anyone go in there, and all of the products in the window have faded through age. Half of the signs in the window are for brands that no longer exist (Rowntree, Fry’s Chocolate, etc).

I have no idea how it survives, but it is an amazing relic.

JP

scuttler

The bookshop in Salts Mill. Great space, fab selection, wonderful smell.

Liberty of London. Chock full of ace things I’d never actually buy.

redmex
    Free Member

There is a drapers in Aberfeldy if you are looking for 14th Feb lingerie maybe give it a miss unless big pants with sturdy bra is required, Wolesley string pants and vest combo.
    Its worth a look you will get a laugh as it is so stuck in time

SaxonRider

I’m spoiled where I live. I don’t know if Sesame Street was a thing over here, but it feels like I live on-set sometimes.

We are almost equidistant between a group of posh shops in Pontcanna and some “lower end” traditional shops in Canton, and I love them all.

The best of the lot, though, is the local hardware shop, which has been owned by the same man forever, and where we can go to get everything from a single bolt to new power tools, together with one of the butcher shops, where we get most of our meat, and especially our Christmas fowl and roast every year.

And that’s not even mentioning Troutmark Books in Castle Arcade, or the Pen Shop in one of the other arcades. Cardiff is pretty spoiled for choice, really.

loddrik
    Free Member

Home and Bargain (or Home Bargains for all you wools…).

mattbee

Morgan’s butcher in Petersfield.
    Fantastic quality meat and the prices aren’t that far adrift of the supermarkets.

kilo

Millers Butchers in Caherciveen, best butcher I’ve been in and even though I stopped eating meat in February I still get drawn in to salivate over their hot dinners section and end up buying their veggie quiche. Proper old school, the only shop I’ve been in which closes the front doors and stops serving when a funeral leaves the church opposite.

senorj

I do like Liberty but I think my local deli is my fave. Quality coffee & lots of Italian food.

IHN

S&M Supplies, hardware shop, Macclesfield.

Never been in, but for sheer name comedy value it’s hard to beat.

Sandwich

Coes in Ipswich. Up to date fashion retail with service and a good range. Used to have the old wire receipt delivery system but now uses a vacuum tube. Sign for goods on your credit account, none of this chip and PIN stuff.

lunge

There’s a few.
    Big shops:
    Decathlon – Wonderful place, I can, and do spend far to much money there.
    Aldi – Good food and the legendary middle aisle.

Small shops:
    Anderson & Hill, Birmingham – A top class deli that also does the finest sarnies in Brum.
    The Liquor Store, Birmingham – A borderline hipster clothing shop that also has a very nice secret bar.
    Aubrey Allen, Leamington Spa – A top class butchers, great quality meat and good, friendly staff.
    Piccadily Cobblers, Birmingham – If it’s leather they will fix it. The quality of the work on shoes is magnificent.

bearnecessities

Sadly this purveyor of amazing pork pies closed down on Saturday 🙁

And on the hardware theme, hard to beat this place.

Tong Garden Centre, which in recent years and new ownership has turned into the most mind-blowing garden centre imaginable..and it’s still developing – I think the total cost of investment is £4m. It’s impossible to visit there without buying something.

BadlyWiredDog

llama

kitchens

the shop in gloucester services

Tracey

Cant beat a good pork pie

https://www.facebook.com/PercyTurners/

martinhutch

The bookshop in Salts Mill. Great space, fab selection, wonderful smell.

Came to post this one. I like the 1853 Gallery/Shop as well.

thenorthwind

Nearly forgot Becketts, proper old school local hardware store. Fork handles? No problem. Need one of something? No problem, or weigh the screws by the half pound. If you’re a regular and know the correct nod and wink, he’ll fetch some of the old stock of Nitromors or weedkiller that actually works from the cellar. Super little shop, third generation I think now the old boy has retired.

Bloody ‘ell, that takes me back. I grew up on one of the streets off Beckett Road, used to walk down there all the time. Haven’t been there in a good 20 years, so I imagine it’s a bit different, apart from the hardware shop.

Food aside, I love a good bookshop. Or a decent record shop. There’s some good outdoor shops but they usually just remind me of all the stuff I want but can’t afford. Bike shops are similar, but the ones near me aren’t great anyway.

Not really a shop as such, but the Grainger market in Newcastle is a great place.

trumpton
    Free Member

TK Max is my favourate store. Love it.

theboatman
    Free Member

Chatsworth farm shop for meat, fish, bread and baked goodies. We have a handy discount.

Aldi in Bakewell for pretty much everything else.

Thornbridge Tap in Bakewell for posh beer, as sometimes it would just be too rude to pass when going to Aldi.

malgrey
    Free Member

Tamarack Outdoors near Garstang is an awesome place for the more bushcrafty outdoor stuff, Tony and Mike are excellent, and the little room at the back with used stuff is a dangerous place to visit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My LBS.
    Robinson’s in Stockbridge.
    Peter Jones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Have you got a favourite shop or Store’ is closed to new replies.