Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Have you got a favourite shop or Store
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Amazon.

Unless you mean a physical shop. Then it would have to be TL Thomas builders merchant. That’s the only physical shop I’ve been to in a decade.

BadlyWiredDog

I used to love Stanfords, the map shop in Covent Garden, when I was a pre-internet Londoner. It was my go to source of climbing, walking, travelling, pretty much everything, inspiration. Oh, and maps of course.

Also have fond memories of the mad old secondhand bookshop on Highgate Hill. Properly like something out of Harry Potter, all ancient, yellowed volumes and stuff you never imagined existed. It smelled of books. And yesterdays. Great place to visit as a kid.

I miss print.

donks
    Free Member

Drivers in Northampton for clothes.

Velohaus in Northampton for bike servicing stuff I can do myself.

PMT music in Northampton for drum and music related stuff.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

My favourite shops tend to be found on A-roads…. You know the ones, with the windows blocked out … normally old Little Chefs.

🙂

thenorthwind

That’s the only physical shop I’ve been to in a decade.

I call BS.

jon1973
    Free Member

Another hardware store.

W C Baker & Son in Fleet, Hampshire.

Been around for over 100 years. Fantastic place.

Amazon, obviously and Lidl

MrSmith
    Free Member

Leyland SDM
    Clutch cafe
    Condor cycles

molgrips
    Free Member

REI or, if in Scotland, Tiso is a good second place. Preferably the big one in Perth.

jimmy

SJS Cycles. Only know it online but apparently it exists!

Aldi – Good food and the legendary middle aisle.

But it’s not the Middle of Lidl, is it?

onewheelgood

Stanford’s is a good call. In the 70s I had a girlfriend whose dad was high up in the management there. Great shop – and still pretty good today.

I’ll nominate Torry’s Hardware shop in Warwick – funny how many of these are hardware shops, and Giant Store Leamington – the best of our LBSs.

AD

This place in Cockermouth – it is awesome!

Home

willard

A bit of a new one for me (after my last favourite shop closed down), but Uffe’s Hopp Shop in Västerås is a great place. The owner has been in skydiving for a looooong time and it’s a great place to visit and shop. You know that, if you buy from him, you get excellent, no nonsense support from someone that knows their stuff.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Big shop is Decathlon. Every time I visit I want to spend so much money on things I need, but don;t really need.

Local shop is our local hardware/homeware/bit of everything shop called Arkwrights. Dogs are welcome in the store and they get treats while they’r there, if they don’t have something in they’ll get it in for you within a couple of days. Loads of advice and helpfulness all round. The sort of shop that every small town needs. And in honour of their name they have an Open All Hours window display with till!

igm

ads678

Subvert in Casvegas Xscape was my favourite shop,

Subvert – the shop with the skatepark in the back. Nice idea.

chewkw
    Free Member

TK Maxx – for odd stuff
    Tesco

StuE
    Free Member

Ride on in Rawtenstall,always happy to chat about bikes and stuff, spent many an hour in there and also an awful lot of money
    Booths supermarket, bit like Waitrose but more northern (fantastic selection of nice beers too)

Philby

Continuing the trend, my vote goes to Bishopston Hardware in Bristol – everything from seeds to sealant.

joshvegas
    Free Member

On the book front.

The book shop in Peebles is great. It’s only existed since 1793 or something.

*pictures an empty room with all three volumes of encyclopedia Britannica on a table in the middle.*

Weasel
    Free Member

Technically not a shop but the Sunspel and Cheaneys end of line / sample sales when they are held for a few days. Never leave empty handed

and Home Bargains – so damn cheap for toiletries and cleaning products etc.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Big shop… don’t know what I’d do without our local Toolstation.
    Small shop….The Little Pink Surf shop in Croyde.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Snapes of Cheadle Hulme.

Family run Hardware store selling allsorts for your home and garden.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Leakeys Books in Inverness – it’s like a giant second hand version of Toppings
    Dominic’s Department Store in Victoria, Island of Gozo. House stuff and hardware, have never not had what I wanted leaving me with the impression that if they don’t have it, you don’t want it. Also, awesome customer service “Do you have..” “Probably, it’ll be over there someplace”, vague wave of arm, and it usually is
    Merkan Bakery, Nadur, Gozo – no till and no shopkeeper, just take what you want and leave some money on the table. 2*45 cent breads, leave 1 Euro. 2*60 cent ftira, leave 1 Euro

northernmatt

Any Lego store and any bookshop. Barter Books in Hexham is a nice place to waste an hour or so.

BillMC

Brocklehurst’s in Bakewell. I daren’t go anywhere near it, the quids just fly out of my pocket.

Moe

Any bookshop but my most favourite shop is the Trading Post and Pips Railway Carriage cafe at Lopen Head, off the A303 in Somerset. Stock up with local cider and the most amazing breakfast (or lunch) you will ever taste! As for cake …… We have to visit everytime we are down there.

funkmasterp

S&M Supplies, hardware shop, Macclesfield.

I think it’s closed down. It used to brighten up my morning when walking by it. Always wanted to go in and ask for a gimp mask. I have a very immature sense of humour.

bearnecessities

Always wanted to go in and ask for a gimp mask. I have a very immature sense of humour.

..which, as anyone of culture knows, is the best 🙂

colournoise

Big shops. Obviously Amazon (in spite of their probable evilness) and Aldi.

Locally? Got to be the Stamford cheese and Wine Cellar.

Although Willowbrook is also an ace local butcher / deli / cafe.

grtdkad

Cotswolds Outdoor is up there for me.

But my favourite shop has got to be JG Windows music shop in Central Arcade Newcastle. Such a glorious building, trading over 100 years and a massive range of musical instruments… https://www.jgwindows.com/about-us

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Have you got a favourite shop or Store’ is closed to new replies.