• This topic has 63 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Have we done the Singular Puffin yet?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Singular kickstart the new Puffin fat bike.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m £400 short 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

Only 7 backers so far, not looking positive 🙁

andylaightscat
    Free Member

long time to go though and was only launched last night

mattjg
    Free Member

Seven backers of which probably 6 have bought frames it seems. Good start.

(I fancy a fattie but need a go on one first).

Good luck Sam, if anyone can do this he can.

igm

I been seen puffin’ on a Singular.

Those flat section are murder on a SS.

I_Ache
    Free Member

He only needs to sell 44 more to get the money. Its not that much really is it. I’m not in the market but hopefully putting it on here will help him out a little.

Shackleton

Are Singular planning a Krampus-a-like? Although a fat bike really appeals for no practical reasons whatsoever I think a 29+ would be a better UK bike (for me). I’d certainly swap my Swift for one!

metal_leg
    Free Member

New swift fork will handle 29+ tyres. Appears to be more clearance at the back too with the direct mount mech.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice that… I feel a pledge coming on… 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Plus one on the Krampus style bike. I’ve only read the review in the mag but I’m thinking that a design using the 29×3.00 tyres in a shorter, more compact package would have a lot going for it.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

A puffin, singular, earlier this month:

wwaswas

It’s goose stepping!

Is it a Nazi puffin?

mattjg
    Free Member

What would it cost to build one up with OK components? Another 800?

Cheezpleez

Buythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffin…

Sam

Well, 10 backers and 17% of the goal in less than 24 hours basically off the back of a single Facebook post – I’m pretty good with that. Loads of press releases have gone out today so I hope that I will get to the goal yet. Of course – the more the merrier 🙂

The bikes are really going to be great though, I’m very pleased with the protos in terms of ride and I’m confident the changes in store are going to make them the best riding steel fat bike bar none. If mattjg or anyone else would like a go on a proto then just let me know – I have them located in Berkhamsted, Brighton, Brecon, Kingston (upon Thames) and Lincoln (Nebraska) and one more doing the rounds of a few of my dealers.

For Shackleton et.al., yes a full 29+ is on the drawing board and will likely be the next prokect to see the light of day after this one.

Thanks for the support!

Sam

Sam

Mattjg, close but probably doable. I do have a line on some reasonably priced F135 and R170 hubs ex Taiwan so if the project is successful that could also be a possibility to help keep down cost. That said, the On One wheels and tyres can be had for about £400, the main additional cost then is cranks. The SRAM X5 fat cranks will be the cheapest option at about £130, so depending on the depth of your parts bin £800 total in parts should be manageable.

Shackleton

If you could supply a rolling chassis (frame/fork/wheels and maybe cranks) at a reasonable price (less than buying separate) then I’d be much more inclined to consider it.

The cost of wheels for fatbikes and 29+ at the moment is prohibitive if you buy them as parts or premade but on-one basically give them to you for free if you buy frame, fork and tyres. I suspect they will sell a lot more fatbikes in the UK than any other manufacturer purely because of this.

Northwind

AH good, another temptation to resist, cheers for that!

darrell
    Free Member

ive eaten a puffin or 2 in my time. Quite tasty.

wwaswas

AH good, another temptation to resist

Quite.

Been looking at fatty ‘rolling chassis’ prices at on-one and thinking “well if I bought that I could sell the frame on and get the wheels and tyres ‘cheap'”.

Does seem odd that o-o don’t include the cranks as they’re fatty specific.

Sam

Yes, rolling chassis would be the aim – or at least wheels and headset, tyres could be more tricky.

birney29
    Free Member

Just wondering – does anyone make an adapter to allow fat bikes to be carried on a roof rack?

I imagine that the tyres would be way too wide to allow the to be transported on a normal roof mounted rack.

beerbiker
    Free Member

Upto 16 frames sold now & nearly 7k pledged, looks as though they’ll make it. Almost tempted myself even though I have a Fatty already #backingbritain sort of 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

@birney29

Just wondering – does anyone make an adapter to allow fat bikes to be carried on a roof rack?

I imagine that the tyres would be way too wide to allow the to be transported on a normal roof mounted rack.

Yes they are too wide

I attached some pieces of guttering with slots cut to my rack and then put a strap through the guttering and round the tyres to secure it.

@beerbiker Have you not heard of n+1? 😀

birney29
    Free Member

drofluf – that’s a stormer of an idea. Like it.

vinnyeh

Well, I’m in, too tempting to resist. Money doesn’t come out for a month, so doesn’t really count as expenditure. 🙂

Be ableto get shot of the hateful Peace 29er as a hacking bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

Buythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffinbuythepuffin…

Experiencing inexplicable urge to load up Kickstarter …

nbt

Hmmm. I’ve got an FS, a CX, an SS, I don’t have a geared hardtail and this might be sufficiently niche to override any objections…

might arrange a fatbike test ride I think…

drofluf
    Free Member

@birney29

drofluf – that’s a stormer of an idea. Like it.

Let me know if you want pictures

Aidan
    Free Member

In case more riding photos are required to get you to put your hand in your wallet, my first impressions of the Puffin:

http://www.aidanharding.com/2013/08/singular-puffin-first-impressions/

Since then, I’ve ridden it on Gower and in Brecon. The rocks in Brecon (as pictured on the STW article) were the biggest eye-opener for me. It absolutely storms that kind of stuff. Floats, manuals, and flies down them. Climbs up even the most stupid lines.

Aidan
    Free Member

Oh, yeah and for carrying fat bikes, I have a towbar-mounted Thule rack. The fat tyres fit perfectly between the two slots for normal bikes, one of the clamps goes onto the frame, then bungies around the wheels.

Drain pipe on the roof rack is what I’ve seen a number of people use in Alaska, too.

mattjg
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking a couple of manufacturers should get heads together and run a couple of fat bike demo days, might help in converting some of the fat-curious to fat-customers.

@sam ta re prototype, Brighton and Kingston are both accessible to myself and my subliminal prompting fat-curious alter-ego cheezpleez, will chat and maybe give you a call. We’re both medium-sized riders.

Any probability of H4TH Dorking getting one in? That’s our home turf.

mattjg
    Free Member

Note to self, go give the ‘new’ Swinley a try! (From Aidan’s site, hope the link’s OK Aidan).

Sam

Matt – there is supposed to be some sort of mass fat demo going on at the Aplkit Big Shakeout next weekend. There should be a puffin or two there.

I would happily send one down to HFTH for a couple of weeks but they’ve not expressed any interest, I ought to get in touch with them. Maybe if you pester them from your side and I do so from mine we might have some luck 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

See….. that ‘new’ Swinley section is genuinely soooooooo goood, I genuinely thought that was a photo of Coed y Brenin before reading the caption..

Northwind

Is it just me or does the fork/frame interface look pretty ungainly? Maybe partly it’s the tapering fork legs… (someone agree with me, it’ll help me not buy one!)

nbt

WHatsize is the prototype in the pics?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Is it just me or does the fork/frame interface look pretty ungainly? Maybe partly it’s the tapering fork legs… (someone agree with me, it’ll help me not buy one!)

It does in the proto but I think it looks spot on in the render.

Sorry.

drofluf
    Free Member

WHatsize is the prototype in the pics?

I’m guessing it’s a Large as the initial plan was, IIRC, to only make one size

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Singular Puffin yet?’ is closed to new replies.