Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Have we done the Hawick Common Riding thing?
  • hamishthecat
    Free Member

Here

I confess I’ve never heard of it – but I am a far south (west) Sassenach. Do they have anything with wicker and fire at the end?

paton
    Free Member

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Got it. Those look a bit less toxic than the Hawick one.

Think I’ll stick to barrel burning though.

kennyp
    Free Member

Lots of Borders towns have common ridings. It’s an excuse to get drunk. Then again pretty much every Scottish tradition is an excuse to get drunk.

Joking aside they can be good fun to go and watch.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I remember the original court case. We were doing a pub quiz in the Grass market, Edinburgh and decided our team name would be “Hawick women want a ride”. We couldn’t understand why our team name was getting cheered every time our lowly scores were read out. At the end of the quiz a couple of young ladies came over and thanked us for supporting the cause, we were rather ignorant young students and said the team name was just a bit of a laugh, they didn’t see the funny side. I thought they were going to set about us. After they’d gone my mate told us his dad was representing the the two ladies in the case. I spent my high school years near Duns which also.has a common riding, it always seemed to me to be an excuse to get absolutely hammered every night for a week. It was also a time when car loads of lads from Eyemouth, Kelso, Coldstream etc would congregate on a Friday or Saturday night and have running battles, on Monday morning there was usually one or two places that had boarded up windows. I couldn’t wait to get away from the Border town mentality, “a day away frae Hawick is a day wasted”.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Hawick Common Riding thing?’ is closed to new replies.