Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Have we done Scotty’s Scotland series?
  • matt_outandabout

Nice to see such familiar trails in fine fettle… 👌

DickBarton

Nicely put together…will watch the rest. The 3 areas in that are all nicely presented, hopefully the rest of the series will be as good.

* Grumpy man alert – is his contribution to the trail associations to pay for all the skidding he seems to do? 😉 *

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, skidding is a hanging offence on here now, come on Matt! 😉

abingham

Really lovely edit that. I liked hearing more about the trails and Scotty’s presentation rather than the usual schralp-fest.

matt_outandabout

It looks like some great rides coming up in the future ones as well.

Skidz are indeed for kidz (and Scotty…)

Fat-boy-fat

Having had Scotty zip past me at warp speed quite a few times, I can understand the need for skidz. I’d be getting them in my shorts if I even attempted to ride at his speed. Now thinking of heading to Aberfeldy for a spin this avo.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Could do with a lot less skidding. Interested to see if he rides th same on the nonTC venues in the other episodes.

stevie750

Needs more death metal!

aide

Just watched this and really enjoyed it. Like others have said refreshingly different from other mtb vids and well presented, nice shots mixed in with good pictures. Looking forward to watching the others in this series

DickBarton

Episode 2 out…great locations, scenery and shots…had a proper laugh at the bit on reducing trail erosion and reducing the tyre print to then have 30 seconds of him skidding round the corners.
    It is a great series and the riding is good, despite me moaning about the skidding, I’m glad he has made them as the places look great.

steveh

Yup I thought the same about the erosion bit, skidding, braiding etc all going on and then talking about it. nice try but a bit of a fail. Was a good video apart from that.

stanfree
    Free Member

His videos are all good and really well made. His cairngorms gravel and mtb ones make me want to head up there soon. He’s a talented rider for sure .

Fat-boy-fat

The trail erosion bit was a tad amusing given the footage either side of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Erosion isn’t really an issue if you’re prepared to do a bit of hard work in between rides. If it wasn’t for erosion, we wouldn’t have trails.

Good vid that, really enjoyed it. Dunkeld must pull at Scottys heart strings every time rides des there.

DickBarton

Episode 3 up

Fat-boy-fat

Looking good too. For years I didn’t bother going to Glenlivet as it was “too short and too difficult to get to”. Went there with my better half in the summer as part of a Scotland road trip and was pleasantly surprised.

Nice to see Scotty bigging it up.

13thfloormonk

Just watched the Loch Muick gravel one, very nicely presented but a wee bit “style over substance” for my liking, e.g. where the hell does he go between Loch Muick and Braemar, Jock’s Road?

“Rusty Rides Gravel” on YouTube is more informative on the route etc. (and less skids, although GCN seems a bit guilty of that too, is skidding to a halt for the camera cool again or are they doing it ironically or something? 😆)

rugbydick

Is it just me, or does his bike say “TURD” on the top tube?

matt_outandabout

Bloody brilliant episode

gordimhor

Have to agree Matt. If that Laughland boy works hard he could be “no bad” on a bike.

DickBarton

He must be ready my complaints as much less skidding in that one…a great video.

snotrag

They are very beautifully shot videos, great colours (and somewhat unrealistic luck with the weather eh!? )

Nicely done though. Good bit of PR for Scotland!

matt_outandabout

(and somewhat unrealistic luck with the weather eh!? )

When you get it right, which is more often than people think….

Even in average or poor weather, NW Scotland is stunning

snotrag

Oh I’m well aware, I’ve been on the beach on the Western Coast and could quite easily pass it off as the Caribean if I didnt give away the native tree species – Blue sky, Clear Sea, White Sand….

richmtb

Really enjoying this series. Sgor Gaoith, Heartbreak Ridge and Torridon are on the bucket list for sure

DickBarton

Agreed, the videos are really good…I did have to have a re-listen to the end bit in the last video…if I’ve heard it right he has said his van produces 180kg of CO2 every kilometre and his trip there was 320km, so he offset that by planting 16 native trees as they absorb 22-34Kg…I’ve listened a few times and I think that is what he says, but it doesn’t sound right…is if more likely 180Kg of CO2 every 100Km?

Edited as broadband connection now and I can hear everything very clearly –

I have had another listen – I’ll blame my data connection for mishearing, but it is 180g of CO2 per 100Km driven in his van (which appears to be a VW Transporter) and he is planting 1 tree for every 100Km driven and for this series he is planting 16 trees – that makes far more sense than what I thought I had heard!

I also like the idea of offsetting the carbon in a sustainable way – a new take (and likely to be a more common one) currently – everyone is talking about it, but Scotty appears to be doing something about it.

clubby

Kind of. Tree planting is a good thing but still doesn’t replace the oil used to fuel his adventures, or those of everyone he inspires through these videos. Including me.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Totally agree with his opinion on the Achnaschellach ascent, it’s brilliant.

Was confused by his description of the Coulags one being also good, and cleanable. When I did it i ended up on a Hydro fireroad from hell. It was awful. Looking on G earth it looks a bit like the old path is actually above the hydro abomination,…

Is the hydro Road filled in on the picture or is the straightest line the actual water pipeline?

Dropped pin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/MZM9dBegnRbyF1jt5

poah
    Free Member

carbon neutral is a crock of shit. All it does is give companies free reign to do what they want so long as they plant a tree or two coupled with the fact it doesn’t really work. We need to be reducing the actual amount of carbon dioxide we release. Scotland is on approx 98% renewables for electricity. Sooner we get ride of gas, coal and oil the better.

chrismac

carbon neutral is a crock of shit. All it does is give companies free reign to do what they want so long as they plant a tree or two coupled with the fact it doesn’t really work. We need to be reducing the actual amount of carbon dioxide we release. Scotland is on approx 98% renewables for electricity. Sooner we get ride of gas, coal and oil the better.

this. It’s greenwashing if your being charitable. Love the videos and the scenery but I wish he would stop pretending there is anything eco about his lifestyle

matt_outandabout

gordimhor

I see Kinlochleven was up to its usual stunningly beautiful wet and midgy

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Scotty’s Scotland series?’ is closed to new replies.