Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have we done Magura MCi yet?
  • ratherbeintobago

Brake master cylinder inside the bar. Looks neat but I imagine not without downsides?

survivor

Massive faff. I’m out.

ratherbeintobago

The thing I think looks inelegant is the hoses coming out of the bottom of the steerer. What happens if the fork bottoms out?

honourablegeorge

It’s like they looked carefully at existing internal cabling and thought “how can we make this more hellish?”

Onzadog
    Free Member

So I don’t get to choose how far along the lever my brakes go, or the angle of them, or the roll on my bars?

Sounds great.

funkmasterp

Just why? Internal routing is good for dropper posts and that’s pretty much it. I prefer brake and gear cables to be external. This is just an answer to a question that nobody was asking. What happens when you crash?

ratherbeintobago

What happens when you crash?

Supposedly the master cylinder is “better protected” because it’s inside the bar.

tomhoward

What happens when you crash?

No exposed hoses to rip out?

scaredypants

presumably everybody else checked the publishing date of that too ?!

wotaloadashite

funkmasterp

Err… the brakes won’t rotate on the bar like normal ones. Shagged brakes and probably bar. I’ve never ripped any hoses and I’m brilliant at crashing.

sirromj

Maybe they’re just trying to reduce the strength of bars to normalize cockpit breakage so people aren’t so fussed when their lever blades break? 😉

Poopscoop

Oh hell no.

All that for a cleaner look and to protect the master cylinder in a crash??

If that ever becomes the norm I’m going back to rim brakes.lol

matt_outandabout

If you want cables to be better protected just duck tape em to the bar…

13thfloormonk

Ha! They needed this back in the day when hydraulics were the next big thing on MTBs and we were all worried about ripping out hoses.

Now it just seems like a ‘we did it because we could’ engineering exercise, for which I grudgingly respect Magura (see also 50% of Cannondale’s crazy designs in the past).

nwmlarge
    Free Member

And now you have redundant routing options…

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Magura-integrated-brake-lever-concept-concealed-master-cylinder-handlebar-Sea-Otter-2019-Bikerumor2.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Magura MCi yet?’ is closed to new replies.