Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 972 total)
  • Have any of us actually caught the Coronavirus yet then?
  • pondo

It feels so worthless, but very best wishes to everyone, and the families of everyone, riding the treacherous waves of this disease.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I wonder how mild the symptoms can be..?
    Personally feel quite fatigued, tight chest, brain fog almost like a slight hangover.. no cough or temperature. Definitely don’t feel right. Am I supposed to isolate without the main symptoms?

jam-bo

i asked this on the other corona thread but i think it’ll get lost in the noise.

Something that struck me earlier reading this and the ‘have you had coronavirus’ thread.

By all reports you don’t get a test unless your are considered highly likely to have it and even then maybe not.

~150,000 have had tests in the UK
    ~120,000 have tested negative.

So what have they got?

petec
    Free Member

Personally feel quite fatigued, tight chest, brain fog almost like a slight hangover.. no cough or temperature

This is what I had at the start of March. No idea if it was C19, but it was something. Found out yesterday the reason our secretary was off in mid Feb was for a cough, high temperature, and loss of taste/smell.

So her’s was before the symptom alerts really came out, and I (and others in the office) didn’t hit the full symptom list.
    No idea though – really. I hope so, as it would mean we can get out again

amodicumofgnar

No idea though – really. I hope so, as it would mean we can get out again

That’s the challenging one, as soon as you start permitting the immune there will be people who aren’t who’ll try to get out there as well. Suddenly we’re all back to infection again. Same thing if people drop the biosecurity – there’s nothing to say it cant be picked up and transferred on skin. People start seeing other people doing less and they start to do less as well.

It all works on everyone holding the line.

singletrackmind

Jambo
    Winter flu A apparently
    The numbers presening v actuals after testing was running at 9%
    This wad once you had been admitted and tested
    Lack of test means thousands of people are at home with this years flu, thinking that they have covid19, when they dont. Hence the i had covid and it was just like a bad cold report s
    They have not been test for c19 so are simply guessing
    This is an issue that might prove to be a problem in the future
    This year’s winter flu a presents identically to c19, but after 7 days you get better, not fall off a cliff and need to be intubated

Ianad, but rsised this back on p120 ish on the long thread, then my suspicion was confirmed byban actual docton r4

petec
    Free Member

It all works on everyone holding the line.

oh i realise, but that’s why the Chinese have given everyone a QR code with green/orange/red. If you’re out, and your QR code says you shouldn’t be, you’re taken in.

Possibly wouldn’t work over here though!

chakaping
    Free Member

Hence the i had covid and it was just like a bad cold report s

If they’d had proper flu they wouldn’t be saying it was just like a bad cold, it’s **** grim.

Worse than a lot of the reported CV19 symptoms from confirmed cases in healthy people.

NewRetroTom

One of my colleagues tested positive two weeks ago. She didn’t have a cough or temperature and was only being tested because she was about to start chemo and they wanted to make sure she didn’t have it.
    She hasn’t had any symptoms since then, so I guess she must have already had it before then meaning she was in the office with the rest of us. I strongly suspect that the relatively mild cold like symptoms the rest of us and our households had were CV19.
    Based in France by the way (half an hour’s drive from Italy).

jam-bo

If they’d had proper flu they wouldn’t be saying it was just like a bad cold, it’s **** grim.

Worse than a lot of the reported CV19 symptoms from confirmed cases in healthy people.

maybe if there was widespread testing for flu (i assume that its possible?), it would turn out that there is a wide spread of symptom severity and even asymptomatic cases?

so the classic, you haven’t had flu if you haven’t spend two weeks in bed unable to move may not be necessarily true?

petec
    Free Member

Winter flu A apparently

I had the flu jab, as I do every year, back in October.

I know the jab isn’t infallible, but there’s been no reports of a strain of flu not included in this year’s jab.

stumpyjon

OAP, the line will crumble, the important questions are when and how.

This will go through the population at some point, it will not disappear due to the current lockdown. It depends on whether the government manages it well or screws it up like the pub lock down and all the loop holes in allowing businesses to stay open. Unfortunately it will be the latter.

Edukator
    Free Member

According to many of the French experts on TV and radio the tests are not very reliable; between 20 and 30% of false negatives are being quoted but there’s not much said about false positives. A 16-year-old with no health issues tested negative twice on admission to hospital with breathing difficulties before a third test was positive – she died just after.

In all the very young deaths in France so far there has been one common factor: Ibuprofen (news Europe 1)

I agree with Singletrackmind that it’s highly unlikely that most people on this thread who think they’ve had covid have, they’ve had flu or a cold. There are so far two confirmed cases among regular contributors if I’ve been following well enough – hope they survive to post another day and maybe convince some that taking confinement seriously is a good idea.

imnotverygood

Have we heard from Boris recently? I wonder how he is doing.

zilog6128

so the classic, you haven’t had flu if you haven’t spend two weeks in bed unable to move may not be necessarily true?

of course it isn’t true, it’s just the dumbarses/hardnuts on here who like to play top trumps with everything. Often the debilitating symptoms are actually part of your body’s immune reaction which obviously various from person to person, as does the severity of the illness.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I returned to work this week after 14 days off where I never showed major symptoms like my better half who had to have a second week off work due to breathlessness, but I felt so run down, I was very fortunate that the delivery I was asked to do was relatively light in terms of a backlog of mail and I should have bought a lottery ticket for how little of the duties packets were sorted for me to take out yesterday compared to a normal Wedsnesday…

But despite being so light, I was really feeling physically fatigued towards the end of delivery and even moreso after cycling up the short but moderate incline on the way home on the ~14Kg fatbike. Before I started coming down with something in late Feb, I’d usually do a “bruising” Zwift workout and maybe a small race after work, not remotely feeling up to that!*

* My turbo broke on Sunday, yet to open up but hope it’s simply the Direto belt snapped, but taking the road bike out for a short local spin was the last thing I wanted to do after work.

konagirl
    Free Member

Personally feel quite fatigued, tight chest, brain fog almost like a slight hangover.. no cough or temperature. Definitely don’t feel right. Am I supposed to isolate without the main symptoms?

@cloudnine

Yes you should self-isolate, not for you but just in case you do have it. The numbers are really hard to decipher because of the lack of testing, the time scales involved and the discrepancy in how we report deaths etc, but it is likely that 1/3rd to 1/10th people with certain symptoms do have the virus. And it may be that it takes 8 days before mild symptoms become breathing difficulties. So better to self-isolate immediately. I know it is a pain, but it is the morally right thing to do.

This is an interesting and clear explanation from data that points to a loss of smell being a significant indicator of COVID-19 rather than another infection or virus, and that fatigue is a big indicator too, but harder to differentiate between COVID-19 and other illness. COVID-19 Symptom tracker early results

kayla1
    Free Member

On Monday I started with a bit of a dry cough and on Monday night in bed I felt a bit wheezy (was very aware I was breathing sort of thing), had a bit of a temperature and was hot/cold, woke up Tuesday morning feeling ok, breathing ok but still had a bit of a cough. Am feeling fine now, a bit woolly headed but otherwise ok. Have I had it? I have no idea. I’m not trying to be melodramatic or owt here, I’m just curious.

edit- I’m self isolating now, just in case.

Edukator
    Free Member

but it is likely that 1/3rd to 1/10th people with certain symptoms do have the virus.

I’d agree with that with the qualifier that “certain symptoms” means their symptoms are severe enough and characteristic enough to have got through all the triage systems and been admitted to hopsital as strong Covid suspects because numbers form Italy, France and the UK put the number of positives for hospital admission in that range.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m not sure where you’ve been, but there’s plenty of evidence that a significant number of cases show no symptoms at all. Fwiw my partner’s compact work team now has five connected people – mostly partners – who’ve tested positive for COVOD-19. Two of those ended up in hospital, the other three had milder symptoms.

My symptoms are pretty much the same as tiRed’s – got slightly worse this morning, higher RHR, lower HRV – but without testing, I can’t say what I have. Normally I’d have just clocked it up as a low-grade virus, taken some time off and rested up, which is pretty much what I’m doing. The possibility of it being COVID-19 however, adds an additional layer of stress to the whole thing.

Bottom line is without a post-infection anti-body test, you can’t tell. According to the Guardian though, the government has placed an order for 40 million of the things, so eventually we should have a better idea. If you trust this government to actually have done that of course.

chakaping
    Free Member

maybe if there was widespread testing for flu (i assume that its possible?), it would turn out that there is a wide spread of symptom severity and even asymptomatic cases?

Very good point, however when I’ve had flu (twice) it’s seemed very different to a standard cold, even at it’s milder points.

This will go through the population at some point, it will not disappear due to the current lockdown.

It is going through the population now, the objective of social restrictions is to slow its progress by limiting contact between members of said population.

BadlyWiredDog

Thought this was interesting on the spread of possible symptoms from a GP who, along with her family, tested positive, so definitely did have COVID-19. Just underlines how varied it can be in the way it presents and how hard it is to know without a test, whether you have it. FB link.

Please watch video below of Dr Anna Chiles and her family’s experience of Covid-19.

Posted by Stow Surgery on Wednesday, April 1, 2020

piemonster

Anyone heard from Franksinatra?

amodicumofgnar

BWD – how are you finding breathing cold air? Uncomfortable in a fingers down the blackboard way?

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – how are you finding breathing cold air? Uncomfortable in a fingers down the blackboard way?

Not really. I don’t know if you’ve been at high altitude, like 5000 metres or so. It feels a little bit like that. If you sit quietly arguing with people on the internet, it’s mostly okay, bar occasional bouts of chest tightness and the odd tingling fingers, but if I – say – stand up and walk to the bathroom, particularly up stairs, I get proper sudden breathlessness. I don’t have any actual discomfort breathing, but I have been mostly inside for the last tend days. Were/are you having discomfort with cold air. I also find it sort of comes and goes in intensity generally.

Fwiw, a mate of mine who’s a good sports physio has written a blog post on post COVID recuperation that you might find useful – I thought of you when I saw it:

Recovery from Covid 19?

amodicumofgnar

Cheers, I’ll have a look at that. My plan at the moment is intermittent laps of the island and then look at a training plan in a month. I have just noticed the last couple of days my chest feels uncomfortable when I’ve been outside in cold air – last couple of days weather systems. Didn’t notice the same last week when weather was warmer. Not planning on outside riding anytime soon. Mainly to avoid hills.

piemonster

Anyone here experience a metallic taste?

I google it so obviously got results for it. But you can Google all sorts and get all sorts.

amodicumofgnar

Anyone here experience a metallic taste?

Yes, one of the last and longest lasting things with the sore throat. I didn’t even realise it was a thing until someone who had it asked me if I had it with the sore throat.

piemonster

Started a couple of days ago, more or less as a sore throat eased. Which I still have down as a cold.

Not that I’ll chance going near another person just in case.

On the other hand when it comes to symptoms bingo I can tick most of them. But in a half hearted not really sure way.

Andy

Nadine Dorris mentioned the metalic taste

Well our family lost its first yesterday. A 2nd cousin in a care home in Vancouver. Eighty-five with dementia, so a blessing I guess. Still sobering though.

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, I had a day of metallic taste – see my earlier rambling post.

Sorry for your loss Andy. Dementia’s a horrible thing. I lost my mother to the pre-senile version of it and it’s almost like losing someone twice over. You can rationalise it, but that doesn’t change the visceral, emotional loss.

BadlyWiredDog

Incidentally, I found this Times article quite interesting. It interviews five different COVID-19 sufferers on their symptoms – I seem to have had most of them, but not a consistent high temperature or complete loss of taste. The article’s behind a paywall, but if you register for a free account, you can read two articles a week gratis:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cough-and-fever-are-not-the-only-symptoms-of-coronavirus-look-out-for-these-others-3z2x9klxx

vicksplace

Thought I’d add my experience. Flu-ish feelings 2 weeks ago, sore throat and possible fever, exhaustion. Noticably no cough. Felt better, fever went but developed into tight chest / shortness of breath the following week. This steadly got worse up to last weekend where I had two days of intense nausea, chest and stomach pains alongside badly feeling I couldn’t breathe. Made worse by the fear I believe. Called 111 who suggested 999. Ambulance out in 5 mins and taken in. O2 / ekg / bloods / chest x-ray all ok

Sent home 8 hours later with no test ( as not admitted) with painkillers and Valium. Rest and self isolate, told fair chance Covid but can’t be sure said the doc. Go back if breathing worsens.

Since then feel ok in myself but chest remains painful at times and breathing remains short. This comes and goes. Resting heart rate according to Fitbit elevated to 67 (usually sits at 55) those past two weeks. Often sitting at plus 70 when in bed, which is high for me. No high temp. Blood saturation 95+ which is good.

Hoping this is residual chest inflammation and it will mend over time. Scary stuff.

scotroutes

Mrs is now in SI. Which means I am too.

She woke up today with headache, sniffles, cough and a slight temperature. Probably nothing serious but PHS advice is self-isolation for 7 days for her and 14 days for me. She is a NHS Care at Home Worker covering an area of over 100 Square miles, has been in and out of folks houses (many disregarding social distancing guidelines) often with colleagues covering a range of other patients. No masks of course. We were pretty much resigned to the fact she’d catch CV19 so not majorly shocked.

Clink

Incidentally, I found this Times article quite interesting. It interviews five different COVID-19 sufferers on their symptoms – I seem to have had most of them, but not a consistent high temperature or complete loss of taste. The article’s behind a paywall, but if you register for a free account, you can read two articles a week gratis:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cough-and-fever-are-not-the-only-symptoms-of-coronavirus-look-out-for-these-others-3z2x9klxx

Am I missing something – can’t work out how to register for a free account?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Yesterday was day 17 for me, having returned to work on day 15 without the “serious symptoms,” but my chest felt the tightest it had been. Misplaced my sensible hat and did a 0.92 Intensity local ~5 mile loop just before dinner, which to be honest felt no worse than sitting around all day.

Not so tight today, but once again quite fatigued, despite a lie in until 0800. Another chilled out day before doing a 0.78 Intensity flat ~8 mile loop before dinner.

Not looking forward to the 0515 alarm in the morning for work! 😮

Flaperon

So what have they got?

A cold.

BadlyWiredDog

Am I missing something – can’t work out how to register for a free account?

They seem to have removed the register option from the site – it still works as I’m registered and get two free articles per week, but I can’t find the registration link while logged out. I even searched their FAQs / help for ‘register’ which gives a link which no longer works.

Sorry about that. I’m not sure what to suggest, I guess they’ve just removed the option.

Clink

They seem to have removed the register option from the site – it still works as I’m registered and get two free articles per week, but I can’t find the registration link while logged out. I even searched their FAQs / help for ‘register’ which gives a link which no longer works.

Sorry about that. I’m not sure what to suggest, I guess they’ve just removed the option.

Thanks for trying, appreciate it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 972 total)

The topic ‘Have any of us actually caught the Coronavirus yet then?’ is closed to new replies.