Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hasselblad users?
  • paulevans
    Free Member

Are there any Hasselblad users out there?

I’ve inherited a Hasselblad 500 from my late father. I’m more of a digital type of guy, but I’m keen to possibly give the ‘blad a go. Just don’t know where to start. Have to say the camera is a work of art.

I’ve heard that I may be possible to add a digital module to the camera body – anyone know any more about this?

gears_suck
    Free Member

The camera is worth about 3 to 400 pounds depending on condition/accessories etc.. To convert to digital will cost a whole lot more than that. It’s a great quality medium format slr camera and has been the favourite of many professional photographers for many years. However there are a lot available on the market and as with many things which are for all intents and purposes obsolete, it’s slowly dropping in value at the moment. Also due to to the advent of better and better digital alternatives. I’d hang on to it if I were you. It’s a beautiful piece machinery and film is still available to use it as it was originally designed.

benji
    Free Member

As above, keep it and enjoy the sheer quality. Used to love the medium format, especially the Mamiya 645 1000s, best one they did imho.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You can pick up a CFV16 or phase p25 for around 3-4k. The files are better quality than equivalent size 35mm digital (at low iso) but the rear screens are next to useless and there is a crop factor.
    I disagree with GS and say that values re holding up quite well as there is a demand from the ‘film hipsters’ and people are still shooting p45 / cfv50 backs with the better lenses. They have just stopped production so mint lenses will hold their value. I have mint 40mm FLE and I fully expect to get £1k for it when I sell.

I would just buy a few rolls of film and have a bit of fun. Don’t forget you need a light meter.

paulevans
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts.

Think I might pop along to local camera shop tomorrow and buy a few rolls of film and by the sounds of it a light meter!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Or use your DSLR as a spot meter. I think there’s an app to make an iPhone an incident meter too.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah the iPhone app actually works surprisingly well. I have this that I need to use more – beautiful thing.

Medium format does have a certain quality. Check out some of Polaris Andy’s off here’s stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hasselblad users?’ is closed to new replies.