• This topic has 85 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Has the mother-in-law arrived yet?
  • midlifecrashes

Yesterday lunchtime, she’s gone gluten free on the advice of her chiropractor.

I guess the patio needed doing anyway.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, She’s dead.

Sisters in Law landed this morning, Son currently doing his Nut as he’s stuck in bed with a nasty bit of Flu and can’t see them.

I’m in work, I’ve got the floor to myself. No complaints here.

fasthaggis

Not yet,she’s still in hospital.

Drac

No she’s shopping with the Mrs she’ll be calling around later to head to the Xmas party with us and the sister in law too.

See her most weeks as she lives around the corner.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

My parents arrive later today…

…My wife has just finished watching Motherland (BBC iplayer) and is convinced her life matches – down to the husband always away ‘team building’ and the parents-in-law that do almost nothing except drink tea and say the wrong thing 😆

I’ve stocked up on Yorkshires finest.

jag61

its christmas not halloween…but mine is coming on saturday will annoy everybody and go home again( did have 2 MILs for a while never heard from the 2nd since she got hold of FILs estate!!)

Murray

I’ve already had the pleasure of being told off for offering to help rather than watch my mother in law put a dish straight from the oven on the worktop. Luckily she’s gone home now.

I’ve now got my mum up with us – took 24 hours to get her packed and in the car. She’s really not well so this may be the last Xmas for her.

curto80
    Free Member

Arriving tomorrow morning. Time for Operation Be In The House As Little As Possible to kick in.

Really hope she’s back on the anti-Ds for this coming week.

nuke

MIL just arrived for 5 days…happily i have a long list of little DIY jobs to busy myself interspersed with walking the dog regularly

matt_outandabout

My MIL and FIL are ace. They are here for the new year.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

First 2 posts amused me greatly.

PJM1974
    Free Member

MiL is in town, with a new man in tow that she’s apparently been seeing for six months…

…only she’s not told Mrs PJM yet who only found out when another relative mentioned it on social media.

It’s fair to say that there’s some tension in the air and that in event of a visit, it will be Mrs PJM who starts digging the new patio before me.

binners

The Mash nails it!

After much deliberation we informed everyone that we’re doing christmas at home, on our own, this year, totally sans family. We seem to have got away with it too!

Can’t bloody wait! 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

She’s still in bed after getting a good seeing to. I wish. Oops.

She does look like mature Jane Fonda though.

northshoreniall

Nope bit I got to the in-laws house yesterday. Father-in-law in itu/ hdu since last week so wife been here since then.
    Looking forward couple weeks o the farm doing some jobs for them and not being at work. Hopefully get him home in next week then we can do Christmas

bigyinn
    Free Member

Frankenstein – Member

She’s still in bed after getting a good seeing to. I wish. Oops.

She does look like mature Jane Fonda though.
    [freud mode on] Hmmmmmm……[/freud mode off]

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It’s worse than that, she already lives here.
    If those solicitors don’t hurry up with our house purchase i will be making Ghengis Khan’s rampage across Asia and Europe look like a mild skirmish.

AdamT

Yep, we have the mind numbing, spirit crushing game shows at full volume. The kids are hiding upstairs.

wiggles
    Free Member

I have never had a MIL as such so cant add much but this is hilarious

she’s gone gluten free on the advice of her chiropractor

😆 😆

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Off to the MiL’s tomorrow,

It’s my turn to ;
    Sit on her couch and fart,
    switch the TV over to what I want
    Leave my plate at the table and go and watch shit on TV and sod you, even though you cooked, you can clear up aswell
    Not lift a finger,
    Not do a tap even though I’m going to live in her house for 4 days.
    Complain that food in the place I live in is better
    Do a word search puzzle and generally ignore everybody else
    Leave sweet wrappers stuffed in the side of the couch
    Leave half finished tins of diet Coke on the floor by the couch,
    Get my wife to buy cream cakes but then don’t eat them, ever.
    Leave snot rag tissues on the bloody table
    Sit around all day doing nothing.
    Not answer the door if the doorbell rings
    Never offer to help ever.

Can’t wait. Revenge is a dish vest served old. 😀

fossy

We always ‘do’ Christmas day at the MIL’s as we aren’t sure if it’s her last year – she’s still going 10 years later and even FIL passed away 3 years ago.

She’s physically disabled so would be on her own – the 4 bed house can’t now cope with more than 4 people down stairs – back room is bedroom, lounge full of crap as she can’t walk far. We are wheeling her down the road to one of the daughters, but said daughter isn’t doing any organising – everyone else is, including my nephew cooking for 12.

Scapegoat

Hmmmmm. Just went to fetch my brother who has learning difficulties, great fun, but he waited til we were stuck in traffic on the M42 before announcing he’d left his hearing aid batteries at his flat. Ok, says I, we can go and get some tomorrow. Except his wallet and cash were in the same bag. He’s upset cos he loves going to the pub and buying a round. I’ll see him right with a loan ( he’d hate a handout!)
    MIL was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last month. She’s being collected tomorrow. She can be difficult in a frustrating and sometimes screamingly funny way, but boy it accelerates from a bit of mild forgetfulness to full-on helplessness scarily fast. She and I get on very well but Mrs Scape is a tad stressed.
    Add to that my lad who blew himself up with a firework last November had eye surgery to graft mucous membrane from his inner lip into his lower lid to repair a symblepheron on Tuesday needed driving to Banbury for an interview, so we spent last night in a Travelodge.
    Family? Love em to bits!

Bregante

Mine’s arriving at 11am on Christmas day and leaving again around 8pm. I LOVE not having any spare beds!

jamj1974

Sadly, no. Mine was ace – kind, easy-going and very thoughtful. My wife misses her mum especially at this time of year, so she will have a little tear in her eye at point or another. She never makes a fuss and no one else realises, but I do and I wish my wife still had her here. She would only be 69 and died 10 years ago this year. RIP Jen, you were one in a million.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just been to see my MIL.
    She didn’t know we were coming. (Mrs Egf phoned last night to tell her)
    Asked us 25 times where we were going for xmas. (Gemmas house, Mrs Egf’s daughter)
    Asked us 25 times where she was going for xmas. (Davids, Mrs Egf’s brother)
    We got home & Mrs Egf phoned her brother who’d been to Mums after us, but we hadn’t been but she’d been to ours yesterday. Etc Etc Etc…..

My BIL sees her every day & deserves a sainthood.

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC has taken the kids down to her parents today till Christmas Eve – I’ve had things to finish off here at home. They are in their 80s and getting frailer, wish I was there.

Off to my parents on Christmas Day. MrsMC and my mum do not get on. Always a joy having them together in the same house.

mogrim

My dad’s coming tomorrow, he’ll be here until the 28th or so. Then it’s the MiL’s turn. She’ll be here over new year until the 7th. Fortunately I’m back at work from the 2nd 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Christmas at home with just the two of for the first time in years.

Off to the in laws for new year but they are ok so it’s not a chore

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I think we may have become the FIL and MIL…..

Alcohol will blur the edges until work returns….

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Not seeing In Laws or my parent(s) this year, I am working until 6am Xmas day. So Mrs and Miss are down visiting now.
    The in laws are great though, mil is easy going and always looks after us. Fil is unwell but is good fun and a pleasure to be with.
    Miss them both tbh.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

MIL in the next room watching trash tv while I smurf the tinternet. She earns her keep though and has done the washing up and made numerous cups of tea.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve been the slightly annoying in law today. Meant to be at my sister’s house by 2, actually made it just after 6 due to car issues (mine broke down yesterday, had to pick up a hire car, do the car dependent jobs I was meant to do yesterday and then put a deposit on a new car…).

On the plus side I’ve been babysitting all evening and am staying in a hotel rather than their house so I should ‘t be too annoying!

2tyred

MiL will arrive with BiL at some point early afternoon on Christmas day, they’ll eat loads of food and probably stay overnight. FiL died a few years ago, and she’s lonely without him, so Mrs Tyred and her brother make sure she’s not on her own as much as they can. She knits endlessly, drones on in pitiless detail about what happened in the butchers the other day, her recent toilet activity, the cake table disputes at the running club and all the notable big lorries that have driven her village in the last week or so, but she’s lovely and no bother to have around. She’s happy with whatever everyone else wants to watch.

Can’t handle my own mum on Christmas day – she’s ace in all other regards, but just goes a bit mad for Christmas day. Some years ago we all went away for a few days (as opposed to everyone descending on us for the day) so Mrs Tyred and I would have less work and everyone could pitch in. It was way more work. Same stuff, less well-equipped house. My mum and sister sat around half cut most of the time, berating us for not relaxing enough as we fed and generally attended to our small, demanding children. And that’s not including the swarm of small flies which invaded the dinner table. “Why aren’t you eating that dessert your sister made? SHE MADE IT HERSELF!!!!” The Christmas We Do Not Speak Of. Since then, my family have been restricted to Boxing day. They’re fine then.

angeldust
    Free Member

Swarm of small flies?

2tyred

We’d been out a walk along the beach, then everyone’s shoes/boots were left lying next to an insanely hot heater. Few hours later, loads of wee black flies appeared from that direction, just to add to the carnival mood around the dining table.

warton
    Free Member

nothing like that this year. me, my wife and two boys for christmas day, first time is a few years. 3rd bottle of wine in two days currently. no stress about food, booze entertainment etc etc etc…

vickypea
    Free Member

My MIL is nice, though she tends to tell the same stories over and over. Had a good giggle today at a friend’s MIL stories- his MIL freezes everything including digestive biscuits.

gerti
    Free Member

Arrives 1pm-ish Christmas Day. Leaves 8pm-ish Christmas Day. Says all sorts of offensive/insulting things during that 7 hours. But despite my red wine addled self wanting to bury her under the patio, she doesn’t have a bad bone in her body, had a crap time with her husband dying young and is brilliant with my kids, so I get grumpy, but get over it quickly.

myopic
    Free Member

Biting my tongue…. Must not post…. Must not post…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Has the mother-in-law arrived yet?’ is closed to new replies.