Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Has cinema had it,s day
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think that these days there is a dearth of quality films coming out of Hollywood etc . There are however a regular stream of quality series coming out regularly on Netflix and the like . Even regular TV has some pretty watchable stuff occasionally . Are we seeing a shift away from the cinema for quality , well acted , realistic and watchable story telling ?

Drac

Nah! Cinema still has its place.

The big Hollywood films will exist on cinemas the more cult ones will go to streaming.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Think so. Not necessarily due to the quality of the content but the expense. Cost for a family of four with the trimmings is eye watering.

nickc

I think that these days there is a dearth of quality films coming out of Hollywood etc

Depends on your view of quality I suppose, me and my partner find something at least every other week that one of us wants to see. Last was Dark Waters which was a really good docu-drama. If you’re a fan of film, there’s pretty much always something, if you only go for the “blockbusters” then yeah I guess it seems there’s massive gaps in between film releases.

Not necessarily due to the quality of the content but the expense.

There a seat price war going on, most cinemas are about £5-6 for prime time films at the moment. Food is still ridiculously expensive, but no-one buys that stuff do they? (well, I know they do, I’ve seen them at the queue, but those folk are idiots.)

retro83
    Free Member

There a seat price war going on, most cinemas are about £5-6 for prime time films

THat’s news to me. I went a week or so before the lock down and it was £12 for midweek boggo 2d film showing.

oldnpastit

Who will go to a cinema in a post-corona world?

Almost as doomed as the cruise ship industry.

rone

It’s getting close I fear.

It requires effort to go to the cinema.

If the streaming giants swallow up Hollywood production then yes it has had it.

I think maybe 5-10 years.

However given the recent experiment into £15.99 rental releases – I wouldn’t be happy under this model. I tend to buy them at £11.00 and under.

I’m lucky I’m a member of the Curzon in Sheffield and within minutes of a really great local one. I will support them both.

The quality generally of TV production in the last six months has yet again been better than a good chunk of cinema.

RicB

A couple of trips to the cinema with food etc is more than an annual subscription to Netflix

I used to enjoy the cinema, and we have a great Odeon Luxe near us, but the inconsideration of others and the ease of watching something in 4K in my lounge means we rarely go nowadays.

MoreCashThanDash

The big screen, crowd experience will always have it’s place. It may evolve and change, but not vanish

halifaxpete

I’ve got a Showcase ‘insider’ card so get half price on Sundays/Monday/Tuesday evenings. Used to go as the odd treat, Plus some films looks better on the big screen IMO. Electric reclining seats are properly comfy too

molgrips
    Free Member

The idiots who buy the food are supporting the business. They make next to no money from the films, that’s why the food is so expensive.

But I agree about the quality. We subscribed to Cineworld when we lived near one – eventually cancelled it because we stopped going, there was nothing we wanted to see. That was about ooh, 13 years ago. Nowadays we can watch (and enjoy) 2-3 hours of Netflix a night.

The quality generally of TV production in the last six months has yet again been better than a good chunk of cinema.

TV has improved beyond measure in the last decade.

zippykona

I hate going to the cinema mainly because most films are formulaic crap and idiots on their phones.

However we saw a “live” screening of Fleabag at an Everyman theatre.
    We could order beer and pizza as soon as we want in to be delivered to our seat. Our seat was a sofa with loads of leg room and 2 free bars of chocolate. Then a man came round with free cheese toastie.
    The pizza was nice, the beer better and a big comfy seat. Everyone there was “our” kind of people , no idiots.

Even if the film is shit and Mrs zip wants to see it , I will go purely as it’s a nice night out. After lock down we will go on a regular basis.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I agree – the Everyman cinema is a nice idea, they are the only cinema we will go to now.

Made the mistake of going to the local Odeon as it’s walking distance as the film times suited, but it wasn’t much fun.

Don’t think we would bother with the latter again, even on the cheap seat deals now.

Trimix
    Free Member

If you are really old you may remember how video was going to kill cinemas.

You really do need a gigantic screen to fully enjoy some blockbusters. Plus, going to the cinema is an event, so it can add to the whole thing. Unlike streaming somthing on your phone while sitting on the bog.

DezB
    Free Member

I guess this isn’t being discussed by people who are regular cinema goers?
    Cinema is thriving, especially since Vue and Odean dropped their prices.
    It’s still a treat to take the kids to the cinema (buy food before you go in).

Obviously the virus has **** this at the moment, but I think it’ll pick back up to where it was before by next year.
    In 2018 Avengers Infinity War took over $2billion, I don’t think that’s an industry that’s dying.

nickc

eventually cancelled it because we stopped going, there was nothing we wanted to see.

I really just don’t get this at all. If one is a fan of film, it’s never been as good. I guess it’s like riding, sometimes, the best rides are when you really can’t be arsed, but you drag yourself out anyway, and almost always have a decent ride. If you’re prepared to watch stuff that’s not “Hollywood blockbuster” and TBH, most of those films are a bit shit, then what’s available is of amazing quality.

A few that spring to mind recently: Joker, The Post, Can you Ever Forgive Me? The Favourite, Knives Out, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Booksmart, Midsomar, The Lighthouse, Ferrari vs Ford, Dark waters, Parasite, The personal History of David Copperfield…and that’s just off the top of my head. We (partner and I) go to various cinemas between Hailfax and Manchester, and v rarely have we had experience of disruptive people in the audience, I don’t for a minute think they don’t exist, of course they do, but choose your film carefully,  and those folk are rare.

TV has improved beyond measure in the last decade.

Don’t disagree, but it’s not the same thing at all.

flyingmonkeycorps

Part of the trouble round here – and I dunno if it’s the same everywhere – is that if you want to watch the latest massive Avenge and Furious Wars blockbuster complete with massive BWAAAAARP noises and folk playing Candy Crush on their phone at any time someone is talking then you’re well catered for. If you want to go see a quirky low budget indie movie then you can go see it in a lecture theatre on a Tuesday as long as it’s a full moon and the date is a prime number. You’ll also have to go at 6pm which you can’t because you’re in the middle of doing bathtime and actually some tea might be nice after work thank you very much.

Also you can’t pause the cinema to go for a wee, which is an increasingly major issue.

nickc

most films are formulaic crap

You are going to the wrong films if you think this is true.

Drac

And the radio star.

RicB

I am old enough to remember but that was when video was fuzzy and in stereo (Pro logic if you were posh) and a big tv was 28”. Now you can pick up a 65” 4K tv and surround sound system for sensible money its a completely different argument.

Having said that I’m really looking forward to watching Top Gun 2 at the cinema 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s a bit like the middle aged duffers saying all modern music is formulaic crap.

No, you’ve just stopped looking for the good stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re prepared to watch stuff that’s not “Hollywood blockbuster” and TBH, most of those films are a bit shit, then what’s available is of amazing quality.

True, but you can only watch what the local cinemas put on. When I put Netflix on I can choose from everything they have or have had. At the cinema I have a choice of about eight films max.

But it’s also a question of taste – I have no interest in seeing those films in your list which I recognise.

Don’t disagree, but it’s not the same thing at all.

Indeed, it’s a different format, and to be honest I might enjoy it more because it’s longer. More like reading a novel, if done right.

DezB
    Free Member

Just seen one of those stupid annoying Sky tv adverts “Sky … bringing the cinema to you”. Er, no Bringing films to your telly! the cinema isn’t my telly! Should be done under trades description.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Curzon in Sheffield

I loved this cinema when I lived in Sheffield, I now have the IMAX playhouse in Perth which is equally as good.

I can’t imagine a world without cinema, I often go on my own (even though I have plenty of access to the films at home). It’s a day out and an experience. I don’t even mind paying £500 for a thimble of popcorn, it’s part of the day and supports the cinema.

hels
    Free Member

Or to quote The Young Ones “its not that you don’t understand it – you just don’t like it”.

I still go to arthouse places to see proper films – there is a significant market for that in the affluent middle class suburbs. Comfy seats, drink some wine while you watch. That won’t die out.

I hate multiplexes and the horrible stuff they serve as food, but I will still go if I have to – at least 20 mins after the advertised start time to minimise being subjected to loud commercials. Those places deserve to die, and the films they show “theme-park” cinema and Scorcese said that.

simon_g

It was in a pretty bad place before the pandemic. The food and drink that people love to moan about the high prices of were keeping most cinemas afloat, just selling tickets often doesn’t cover costs.

Time from first cinema release to home media has gone from 6+ months to 3 or less in the last 20 years. We’ve gone from VHS with the start of DVD in that time to 4K Blu-Rays or streaming. Typical home screen sizes keep rising, will be hitting 50” average in the UK soon. Bigger sizes are commonplace and affordable – 65” start at under 500 quid now. In a typical UK living room that’s plenty immersive enough to enjoy a film. Add a basic surround system (or even many sound bars will have a good go at virtual surround) and you’re set.

How many people will want to sit in close proximity to hundreds of others any time soon? The “crowd experience” isn’t one I was that keen on before all this and I’m even less inclined to share a room with strangers to watch a film now.

crazy-legs

When I put Netflix on I can choose from everything they have or have had. At the cinema I have a choice of about eight films max.

Yeah but you go to the cinema to see a specific film don’t you? Ooh look, the new Top Gun, I’ll go and see that.

Putting on Netflix is like going to the video store in The Old Days. Browse a bit, wonder if that’s any good, have a think, pick a film and watch it.

Different viewing model.

franksinatra

The increase in live screenings of theatre and concerts may shift the balance and keep things going, especially for the independents. I went to a Royal Shakespeare Company live screening a while ago, the cinema was packed on a Tuesday evening with people who, I assume, wouldn’t usually go to the cinema. Same was true for Fleabag. The relationship between theatres/concert venues and cinemas benefits everyone.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s probably due a ‘correction’.

I’m not sure about the rest of the country, but I fancy it’s the same story. 20 years ago your large town might have 2 or maybe 3 cinemas with 2 screens in each. Now it’s twice as many Cinemas with 10 screens each but numbers are falling and pricing there’s probably not enough market for all the ‘traditional’ multiplexs we have now. They had a very good run of it, we’ve had Trampoline centres that suddenly exploded and died as quickly, bloody fish pedicure places, remember those?

Forget about Corona for a moment, it’s a once a century event (most likely) yeah for a small number of people things will never be the same again, but most people will be over it within weeks, frankly big cinema fans are already counting the days until they can go again in the same way some of us are thinking about trail centres and pubs.

I think Cinema is going to lose people who just want to see a film, everyone man and his dog has got a 50″ 4K TV, sound bar these days and a lot of people are far less tolerable of other people these days, I mean no cinema thread goes without people moaning about others eating / drinking / talking, I mean it’s got a 110db 30 speaker sound system but you know… sweet wrappers!

What’s left is people who want a night out, the film is part of that, but really they’re after a nice evening. I can see smaller, more expensive, nice cinemas doing well that offer a film as part of a longer evening.

As for Netflix they do a lot of decent stuff, but films aren’t they’re core anymore, they put out a few really good films like The Irishman but they’re still buying in really poor ones that studios dump because they’re not worth promoting for the cinema and making what would have been straight to DVD stuff. I do wonder if online rentals will die and the gap between cinema and streaming services will be bridged, if the Multiplexes die and it’s only smaller places maybe it’ll happen.

DezB
    Free Member

It was in a pretty bad place before the pandemic

Source?

folk playing Candy Crush on their phone at any time someone is talking

Never seen anything like that at the cinema. One person may look at their phone on occasion. But it’s rare. Only annoying thing usually is people eating noisy food, but even I can zone out from that (if the film is good enough)

jimdubleyou

I’m lucky enough that the BFI IMAX is on my way home.

Still, I only book for the latest Star Wars, or occasionally something “big” – e.g. 1917.

“Normal” cinema doesn’t appeal, I’d mostly be going on my own or with my brother as Mrs Dubs can’t sit still for long enough…

That said, I try and take a couple of afternoons off during the London film festival and smash a few in a row. That usually has people with an interest in film rather than the candy crushers.

nickc

and to be honest I might enjoy it more because it’s longer. More like reading a novel, if done right.

You know, one of the things I really don’t like about Netflix is their habit of spinning out a story (especially their documentaries) that could easily be done in about a hour and ahlf, over 4, 5 episodes, or even a couple of seasons.

True, but you can only watch what the local cinemas put on

this is true also of telly

doom_mountain

I love going to the cinema, pre lockdown we would go every few weeks. I’m lucky enough to have three great cinemas nearby, one in walking distance. And one has a great veggie restaurant attached to it 👌

Going to see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was one of my favourite nights out this year. Everyone in the room was really into the film, the quiet parts everyone was silent, the funny parts the laughter was infectious. And I loved the film. Parasite was also excellent.

I enjoy watching films and good series at home but, for me, they are two different experiences. I don’t go to multiplex \ Odeon type cinemas.

molgrips
    Free Member

this is true also of telly

Point is that the whole catalogue is available at once, so you get far more choice on a streaming service at any given time than you do with cinema.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dont think streaming will take over from cinema, there’s just too many reasons.

1) Scale, films are shot differently, much wider shots, you simply cant get that level of impact on your 55″ tv at home.

2) Budgets, netflix has loads of ir, but there’s still orders of magnitude difference between say the next Bond film and Treadstone on Netflix.

3) Production values, this will get better as Netflix gets better, but the straight to Neflix stuff all feels like the straight to DVD sequels that the big studios turned down, given a big-ish budget.

I reckon streaming will be an important source of revenue for indie films which might only ever reach a fraction of their potential audience only being released in a few (London) cinemas. But Big blockbuster cinema is still going to need tens of millions of people paying £5 to see it to break even.

nickc

folk playing Candy Crush on their phone at any time someone is talking

I’ve never seen this either, and if folk did they’d soon get a comment from some-one. I think this is what folk who don’t go to the cinema think happens, rather that actually what happens.

DezB
    Free Member

^^ Exactly what I was going to say.

Still not seen a source that cinema was struggling before the virus outbreak. More made-up stats?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I don’t agree that streaming and TV will take over…there is something about cinema you don’t get at home, even with a decent home cinema setup. There’s the big screen that adds so much more to the effect of the movie, the better sound in a larger space and something about the occasion of going out. My memories as a kid were of a family outing to the cinema with all the trimmings and ice cream at the interlude. I just think the big cinema chains are pricing people out of the cinema’s. We do buy the overpriced food at the cinema (guess that makes me an idiot then) because for the kids its an occasion so they get a drink, popcorn and pick ‘n’ mix and us adults will pick up some scraps from them…they love it and that is the price and that is why kids cost so much…why we force Frog and Isla bikes on them when all they want is a cheap Halfords special with tassels an a handlebar basket on them.

As we don’t do it that often I don’t begrudge the kids the expense….they love it and if there were an IMax closer to me I wouldn’t mind paying the additional expense for the iMax experience for those movies that come out on iMax, which is awesome.

But the big cinema chains are charging a premium for a non-premium service, which is when people start feeling ripped off.

DezB
    Free Member

I just think the big cinema chains are pricing people out of the cinema’s.

Of the chains, it’s only Cineworld round here that still charge over £5.

timbog160

My lad and his mates are always going to the cinema – one of his main expenses. My only problem with it is as noted above the quality of content is poor, lots of formulaic superhero crap…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Has cinema had it,s day’ is closed to new replies.