Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Has cinema had it,s day
  • Drac

Now it’s twice as many

There are way less cinemas now.

rone

In 2018 Avengers Infinity War took over $2billion, I don’t think that’s an industry that’s dying.

But for every one of those successes there are loads of films that make don’t perform or make a loss.

Don’t disagree, but it’s not the same thing at all.

You may not think so but production techniques and artistry between a big TV production and a feature is wafer thin.

They are shooting with the same gear; the crews and stars are crossing over into streaming production. On top of that think Irishman and Scorsese looking at funding from another streaming giant.

It’s now blurred – the canvas may not be the same but the production pretty much is.

However going to the cinema is an event – watching at home is just watching at home. And I say that as having a man-cave and projector set-up.

DezB
    Free Member

Last 3 films I saw at the cinema: Parasite, The Lighthouse, The Hunt. Not a superhero in sight.

nickc

Again, it’s perception of folk who aren’t going to the cinema…What d’you think is on at cinemas when there’s not a Star Wars or Marvel film due out?

For every one Iron Man there’s ten other films that are “not superhero”

fooman

One thing the Cinema is, that streaming at home will never be, is a night out. Everyman does the night out experience better than many.

If you don’t like the content at multiplexes then sign up to the mailing lists of some independent cinemas – they often show great films you’ve never heard of.

One thing that seems out of place in the modern world to me is films are still advertised weeks before you can see them. I know the opening weekend is important but how many other industries market something you can’t get? By the time I’m reminded about the film it’s been and gone…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Your mahoosive TV will never recreate the experience of watching an IMAX screen (or similar) – so for me….no. I love going to the cinema though I don’t go that often.

oikeith

I dont think it has, its still a night out for many be it people who are dating, couples on a night out or families or seeing the latest blockbuster.

I’m thankful we dont have a cineworld close to us as the wife would end up with a monthly pass and move in!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You may not think so but production techniques and artistry between a big TV production and a feature is wafer thin.

There might be a few exceptions, but outside of those there’s an absolutely huge gulf in budgets.

The Irishman $160million, 6 underground (which was rubbish) cost $150million, and those are exceptions.

Latest bond is $250million (and counting, theres still marketing to do).

Hollywood films probably have more credits for production accountants and catering than most stuff on Netflix has in total!

hels
    Free Member

Apple had a good go at marketing stuff you couldn’t get – creating artificial demand, I think it is called?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cinema might have had it’s day I don’t know about that. Last film I went to see was trainspotting 2 and that was mostly for the sound track and the immersive experiance.

What I will say is I certainly won’t replace it with netflix.

I’ve yet to see a *quality* series on it. I’ve seen many dragged out stretched out formulaic series played out on Netflix( the wife watches all that) and most of their series would be much better as a feature length film rather than a series without all the mad plot twists to keep you engaged for 93 episodes because your bored by episode 4 with the actual plot.

winrya
    Free Member

I cannot wait for lock down to end so I can go to the cinema. Love the cinema as it’s a chance to get out the house, enjoy a nice costa or Starbucks, enjoy a new film with no mobile phones as a distraction. Aim for a date night with the missus every other week

MrSmith
    Free Member

No. Very much alive, have an Everyman open 2 min away from me (after a long community led campaign to get a church to sell an old cinema)
    £16 for a ticket but you sit on a sofa with cushions, an usher takes your booze order on an iPad and the snacks are top quality. Worth every penny as the mouth breathers and candy crush players go elsewhere. The bar even has walk-ins who aren’t watching films as it’s a nice environment to be in and the films are getting a high occupancy rate (so the management have told me)

The Curzon have some nice venues too and offer a similar experience.
    I’m never setting foot in an odeon/vue ever again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see a *quality* series on it. I’ve seen many dragged out stretched out formulaic series played out on Netflix( the wife watches all that) and most of their series would be much better as a feature length film rather than a series without all the mad plot twists to keep you engaged for 93 episodes because your bored by episode 4 with the actual plot.

I was wondering that the other day, most series are still made in 25/50 minute episodes, how would that work if you made them 2 hours long? I’m not sure it would be an improvement. e.g. Breaking bad had a story ark to each episode which meant the beginning middle and end were all pretty fast paced to squeeze it into an hour, which is what makes it addictive. Would it have been quite so good if they’d made 50 El Camino length episodes rather than 100 x 1 hour (or whatever it was)?

Netflix is just like any other channel though in some regards, there’s the stuff that appeals in the same way clickbait does “you wont believe what the tiger king did next” which generates subscriptions as people talk about it, but then there’s also stuff like Flint Town which is genuinely good documentary film making.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Has cinema had it,s day’ is closed to new replies.