• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Has anyone stayed at Trawsfynydd log cabins lately ?
  • sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi
    Just trying to go away to Coed y Brenin area for a week from 5/9 and about the only accommodation I can find are the above log cabins.
    Just wondered if anyone has been recently for some first hand experiences as my other half is decidedly not keen.
    Any other suggestions will be gratefully received but it looks like the entire self catering accommodation of Wales (not just CYB) is booked this week ! We would ideally do a bit of biking but also some walking
    Thanks all
    Linda

twonks

We have a friend that owns one and used to go every year at this time, all though not been for a couple of years.

They are in a great location for CYB biking and all other things in North Wales.

Thoroughly recommended, although the on site pub / restaurant is very expensive for food and tbh not that good.

Different cabins have different beds and facilities so make sure you like the one you choose.

Riding from the site is also great. You can go up over the top of the site on the road, keep going and turn right onto a gated farm track that goes to the right of a small church. From there it is a great ride over the tops and down into CYB. It will eventually bring you onto the trails but you have to follow your nose a bit once there.

We normally spend a week there with a mixture between riding and travelling around. I’ve gone to Nant Y Arian from there too but it is a bit of a drive.

ayjaydoubleyou

Recently as in COVID? No, but went Easter 2019.

I think they are all privately owned and rented out through the website, and they are all slightly different.

The one we were in was decent nick. Not the lap of luxury but if it was my house I wouldnt be needing to redecorate.

The number of beds is often enthusiastic, I’d discount the sofa bed/ sleeping in the living room, and just go by the number of actual beds. We had a nice double in one bedroom and a bunk bed in the other.

Other guests were a mix of a few MTBers, families, touring motorcycles. Everyone pleasant and friendly enough.

ayjaydoubleyou

although the on site pub / restaurant is very expensive for food and tbh not that good.

Forgot about this. Burnt down a year and a half ago, don’t know if its back or not…

Riding from the site is also great. You can go up over the top of the site on the road, keep going and turn right onto a gated farm track that goes to the right of a small church. From there it is a great ride over the tops and down into CYB. It will eventually bring you onto the trails but you have to follow your nose a bit once there.

The ride over the top is a brilliant way to start the day, coming back theres a bit of a climb to do with dead legs. You’ll show up at the top of the first hill on the MBR (I think) trail, so you can jump on to that, or take the final descent down to the visitor centre.

footflaps

Not stayed there recently, but they’re all owned by different people and maintained to different standards etc, so luck of the draw as to how nice the one you get is. Ours was fine, owned by a MTBer so full of MTB DVDs.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Stayed once but would definitely go again. Lucked out with one on the edge of the site overlooking fields towards CyB. Stunning location. Remember the pub (if its still there) being average and the food being pretty grim.

Yak

Not recently, but about 20months ago. Pretty good cabin. We rode in everyday as per twonks route. Weather was awful, 50mph winds and wet, but it was still a decent few days riding.
    I would stay there again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone stayed at Trawsfynydd log cabins lately ?’ is closed to new replies.