Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Has anybody got a storm glass?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

If so, does it do anything at all?
    I got one for xmas and at the moment it’s crystals are just sat at the bottom looking a bit sorry for themselves.

I know they’re just a pretty gimmick and not a prognosticator of weather conditions to come but it’d be nice if it did something.

fossy

Got one too – crystals are also sat at the bottom. They were in big pieces when I opened it. MIL bought it, with the temp, pressure and a little clock on it.

Weather here has been cloudy, no major changes – maybe it needs to be outside ? Don’t know – more ornamental. The temperature ‘baubles’ work as does the pressure/clock.

sparkerfix

Ours changes. At bottom at moment cos high pressure and still but it can become very “ice crystaly” when storms come in. Sometimes all cloudy. Wouldn’t rely on it but interesting to see changes.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Apparently, they should be kept inside.

Maybe it needs re-booting :O)

Yes the pressure is high and stable – currently showing 1030.9 mbar on my weather station.

rene59
    Free Member

Put it in the fridge/freezer or heat it up. That’s about the only way they do anything.

eruptron
    Free Member

We’ve got one and it does change. Were loads of crystals earlier in the year when it snowed.
    You’re supposed to let it settle to start with.
    Also it’s really supposed to be inside but against an outside wall and not in the window if I recall correctly.

CountZero

I’ve got several, big rectangular sheets set in the walls that allow a view of the weather…

hols2
    Free Member

Put it in the fridge/freezer or heat it up. That’s about the only way they do anything.

That, or drop it on the floor and break it, then your gran will get the kettle cord out and whip you round the arse.

derek_starship
    Free Member

That, or drop it on the floor and break it, then your gran will get the kettle cord out and whip you round the arse.

It’s a little early for festivities. What are you drinking?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Has anybody got a storm glass?’ is closed to new replies.