Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Hardtail recommendations?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Fancy a Hardtail for days out.
    Love my T130s, but, well, you know, N+1 and all that.
    Not wanting to spend a fortune, but interested to see what’s good..

coomber
    Free Member

New sonder transmitter for 999 seems hard to beat

trustysteed

I really like my Cube C62 carbon frame, light and strong, and rides well. I’d definitely recommend it.

nowad
    Free Member

All sonder on special. Alpkit.com

fd3chris
    Free Member

Very happy with my new Chameleon 👍

Fantombiker

^^^did you get carbon or ally chameleon? What’s good about it?

vickypea
    Free Member

I love my Scott Scale 😊

joebristol

What’s your budget and what are you planning to ride it on?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not thinking more than a couple of grand, and riding ‘Degla, Peak, Lakes etc, basically all the normal spots, but, well, just on a Hardtail..

snapperdan
    Free Member

I’ve got a large whyte 909 2018 frame with dropper and saddle for sale if you’re interested. Great hardtail, plus compatibility and fashionable geometry.

Would make a great build if you’re interested…

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Ragley Bluepig. Thank me later.

geolog
    Free Member

Also chuffed with my new (alu) Chameleon. Pretty capable on the downs but has just the right amount of slack to make doing other stuff fun too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I love my alu chameleon too, fast and great on the downs, rode the steep tech in Wharncliffe at the weekend and it handled it fine with a 130mm fork.
    I stuck some carbon 29er wheels on it and it’s fast and light (under 13kg depending on parts)

It’s so playful and bmx like on the jumps

Akers

Cotic Bfe or Bird Zero TR

funkmasterp

Stif Morf. I regret selling mine

PrinceJohn

I bought a cotic soul to compliment my Whyte T-130, I have only ridden my Whyte a handful of times in the last 14 months…

joebristol

For general riding and messing about I love my Vitus Sentier VRX+. Built up with a 140mm Pike / gx 11 speed / Dt Swiss e1900 wheels / Guide brakes etc. Decent kit without being bling essentially. The frame has clearance for 2.8” rubber, but I’m running 2.3 on there fine – loads of mud room.

On twisty pedally trails it’s great, on the pump track it’s loads of fun to throw into corners, on steep tech stuff it’s nice and manoeuvrable and on a half day uplifting at Flyup 417 it was great fun.

It’s also very cheap!

If you want something like that but with a bit more reach for faster / rockier stuff then I also had an Orange Clockwork 137 (now maybe called a Clockwork Evo) on the list, plus a Sonder Transmitter. You could also add the Bird Zero TR.

A bit slacker again is the Orange crush / Orange p7 / Airdrop Bitmap / Bird Zero Am Boost / Nukeproof Scout. I didn’t want my hardtail to be for the same sort of terrain as my FS though (Bird Aeris 145LT), I wanted it to be more playful, hence being a bit shorter and less slack, but still modern and stable when required.

Think the key to the playfulness of the Vitus are the short 425mm chainstays and average reach (think 445mm on the medium / 17” frame). Also managed to squeeze a 150mm dropper in there which is fantastic for playing on.

JAG

I’ve had two Cotic BFe and loved them both.

They do everything and are as tough as hell.

dthom3uk

I’ve got a Sonder Signal TI. It’s a great trail bike and has rekindled my love of mountain biking.

Sonder are a good company to deal with as well.

Alex

You know what I’m going to say Nick 🙂 Solaris Max. To be fair there’s some great shouts up there ^^^ as well. But you know, Solaris Max!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i was gonna get a bigger wheeled soul or 29er cotic, good choice, but my chameleon was too cheap to pass up, some great bikes mentioned.. a few mates have the t130 a great bike, one also rides the 905 whyte, which is a great bike too

ton

what is wrong with the Krampus.
    possible the best hardtail available for uk riding either on trails or trail center.
    and ideal for a man sized man.

BillOddie

Nick,

Lots of nice options for trail hardtails now.

I’m biased and would say a Chromag Rootdown.

New Pipedream Moxie or Cotic are much easier to come by though and I’m sure just as much fun.

I would say go 29er (2.4 clearance but not plus), 140mm fork and steel.

legbacon
    Free Member

Nothing beats a Moxie. Get one or regret it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers All.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Whyte 909 (2018) here and cannot get enough of riding it. Simple, quiet, fast, a looker, light, comfortable. Just, great.

robertpb
    Free Member

I would have a look at the Pole Taival.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ll just pop in a Pace RC627 or 529. Good price, good geometry and a very nice bike to ride up and down!

pothead
    Free Member

Orange crush

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m selling a lovely 2018 Stanton Switchback.

Gunz
    Free Member

I bloody live my Slackline, they look the mutts in my humble opinion.

lawman91

As a fellow T130 owner, and in typical STW style, also have a MK5 Cotic Soul and they compliment each other very nicely, even able to swap the wheels between with no issues so could save on build cost if you T130 has Boost spacing. The Soul is ace, pretty light, crazy stable at speed but still fairly agile, it’s just great. A grand would get you a frame and a Revelation fork from Merlin like I’ve got on mine would leave a fair bit of change for the rest of the build, could easily go under £2k. Picture of mine for inspiration!

joebristol

Whilst not as pretty as a Stanton or Cotic or Orange etc the Vitus I bought (as mentioned in my post above) is surpringly nice for the cash. Have you got a preference for alloy / steel / carbon / Ti?

Edit – before anyone pipes up – I know it has odd tyres / non aligned logos with valves / white zip ties etc – not bothered – it just rides so great!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Long and slack, 29er, trail hardtail, brand new:

Radon Cragger, 1.2 k:

Cragger 7.0

There is also a 8.0 version around for a bit more money. Don’t have a Radon and don’t know any reviews of the Cragger (it’s so new!). But think the bike looks very good and know how happy the Radon Swoop owners are!

Others: tons of good hardtail frames at bike-discount. Dirt cheap. Also Carbon.
    Bought an full suspension frame there end of 2017. 350 GBP (!!!). Cube 27.5+ Stereo 150 HPA. Hell of a great bike! All bits and pieces including frame ended around 1.5 k. Use 35 mm i.d. rims and 2.6 inch rubber. A blast.

Stainypants

We’ve just bought the Boardman MHT 8.9 29er for me and my wife. Currently you can get it for £800 by trading in helmet. It got a good review on bikeradar at £1000.

I think it looks good as well.

wl
    Free Member

Loving my 650b P7 two and a bit years in.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Kingdom vendetta LS. A superb bike. Haven’t ridden my turner for months now.

matt_outandabout

I would be looking at Alpkit with that budget and seeing what nice things they can hang off a Transmitter for you.

Looks like GX Eagle+Revelation for £2k or teh carbonz for £2.2k.

Have you not got the pink Cove + Lefty still?

johnw1984
    Free Member

So, in a nutshell, we’re spoiled for choice! 🙂

Buy the best looking one in the geometry that suits I reckon.

Marin
    Free Member

P7 bought in a sale of course. Not touched the FS since I bought it a few years ago. Great for tootling along and full on gnarr. Does equally well on long bikepacking trips as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.