Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hardtail frame – options?
  • Neb

I’ve just realised I’ve almost got enough spare bits in the garage for a winter hardtail. I’d like to keep things simple and keep spares available for my main bike as and when they’re needed. So 29″ wheels, boost, plus size tyres and less than 150mm travel is out.

Does anyone have any suggestions either new, or secondhand frame?

So 150mm+ forkage
    650b wheels
    142×12 spacing
    Longish reach (440mm+)

One option I’ve found is the Dartmoor Hornet, but it might be a bit overkill/heavy. But it is reasonably priced.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What kind of hardtail that can handle a 150mm + fork do you think will be light?

chiefgrooveguru

The Dartmoors are fun and great value but I don’t think they’re long (based on riding my mate’s). Old Bird Zero AM (not the brand new boost version) fits the criteria and is light (2kg).

Neb

My only concern with the Dartmoor Hornet is that it’s 2.7kg in a large. My 165mm FS bike is 2.8 minus the shock, so it does seem a touch beefy for what it is, however it does fit the bill.

Good shout on the bird zero am, I’ll keep an eye out…

Any thoughts on the pipedream Sirius 4g? Looks like it could be an option?

Any more suggestions??

Cheers

5lab

I’ve got a hornet – it is fairly ‘sturdy’ – its the front end of their DH bike with a rear triangle welded on. It is heavy but in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t make much difference to an equivilent frame you could have with similar spec (maybe 1lb heavier?) – spend the money you save on posher wheels/whatever to balance it out.

It’s nice and low and slack, although the headset means you can’t fit a slackset to it (but it is cheap – £15 for a brandx). I run 26″ wheels on mine, but its a bit too low with that, 650b would probably be perfect 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Yes I’m a Bird owner so slightly biased, but reading the OP the old 142 Bird Zero AM is what sprung to mind. There’s a few old AM frames coming up second hand as people upgrade to the new boost AM frame. This bike seems to do well in the hardtail category at enduro races.

Meta AM a possibility, but falls down on the long requirement, though think the new 2018 frames have grown a little.

New geo BFe? Orange P7 or Crush?

mark90
    Free Member

Double post

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Keep the bits in the garage, it’ll be summer soon!!

llatsni
    Free Member

I literally just bought a Pipedream Sirius 4G frame – couldn’t resist the sale price!

It’s heavy enough at 2.7kg (bare frame including dropouts & rear axle) but I guess that’s not that crazy in the scheme of burly steel hardtails – at least ones I’ve owned.

I’m building it up as a 140mm 29er to race hardtail enduros.

llatsni
    Free Member

double post

llatsni
    Free Member

triple post (forum acting weird)

martinkiely
    Free Member

Maybe I’m confused, but 29″ or 650B wheels – if the latter, maybe a new Cotic BFE?

jaylittle
    Free Member

Bird Zero but you have 29″ wheels you want to use, not sure that will work out.

Neb

I thought about a bfe, the only issue was the reach. 428mm in a large is a bit small.

An orange crush would have been good too, but it’s boost only I think.

mark90
    Free Member

The new BFe has a reach of 468mm in large, it’s longer than the old shape, and still 142 rear.

Neb

Ooh, so it has. Not sure how I managed to misread the bfe geometry chart. That’s very interesting…

Cheers!

vincienup
    Free Member

BFe ticks your boxes I think…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m voting for the Bfe too Pete.

They have fancy oval top tubes you know.

qwerty
    Free Member

2018 Crush is boost, that’s why i suggested the 2017 version which is 142mm.

The 2018 BFe appears to be 26″ only, the 2016 650b version lists a reach of 429mm in a 19″/L with a 150mm fork.

nairnster
    Free Member

There is the BFE which takes 650b wheels

And

The BFE 26, which takes 26 wheels.

Neb

So…

Bird zero am @ £400 = no stock
    Cotic bfe @ £550 = no stock until march
    Orange crush 2017 = no stock
    Dartmoor Hornet @ £260 = stock…

Thinking I might go with the hornet. It’s going to be a 2nd bike, with all the left over bits, so I don’t want to have too much money invested in the frame.

nairnster
    Free Member

Second hand Bird on pinkbike

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2313033/

nairnster
    Free Member

. Double post

chestrockwell

2015/16 Orange P7 fits the bill. Think there are a few full bike bargains still about (sell the parts on) or see if you can dig out a frame. Bike Scene had some the other week.

Another option would be second hand as there seems to be a few as new examples coming up on eBay.

Neb

Thanks for everyone’s help. 2nd hand Bird Zero AM arrived and built up with a few spare bits I had in the garage.

matt_outandabout

Super pic….

Neb

Thanks Matt, its been one of those days where even a rubbish photo would look good. A perfect cold and clear winters day.

joebristol

Good work and fantastic location!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail frame – options?’ is closed to new replies.