Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hardtail battle! Whyte 901 vs Sonder Transmitter
  • submarined
    Free Member

Anyone ridden both of the above? Models in question are a ’16 901 and mk1 Transmitter. M Whyte has very similar Geo to the L Sonder, but the Sonder is slacker (not sure if the Whyte’s HA is measured sagged?)

I currently have the Whyte but am sorely tempted to change – seduced by the thought of Plus and a bit of a slacker front end (haven’t got enough steerer for a slackset)

Small concern is how the Sonder rides with ‘regular’ tyres, but I’m not too bothered about that.

Fork will be a 16 Pike, currently with a 130 Debonair shaft. Burly build, used for natural singletrack, trail centers, jump lines, up to about 40 mile XC hacks.

I adore the Whyte and I’m worried the Sonder just won’t be as much fun, but I’m being drawn towards it for the above reasons, (let’s assume it’s cost neutral by the time I’ve sold mine off. We know it won’t be, but you know, river in Egypt.)

Kryton57

I’m looking at a 901, there’s a certain allure to the 901/905, well for me anyway, and the 905 V2 has just receive 10/10 from MBR if that means anything.   I’m just currently unsure about the weighty SX on the 901 V2.

Despite the good comments in here for some reason I can’t take to the Transmitter.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Whyte, but Transmitters are great! Very fun and very capable, mine ended up with 35mm rims and 2.6 tyres, so more wide trail than plus, worked really well.

spacemonkey

’17 901 owner here. Bought it (mint condition and in parts oddly enough) 2 years ago as I couldn’t justify the £2.5k for the Bird Zero AM I test rode. Replaced the Sektors with 140mm Yaris. Sure as heck is a lot of fun and I did the whole build for <£750. As much as I love it – and I really do – it’s neither as slack or as inspiring on the steep stuff as the Bird. Bit of a middle-ground between a XC ripper and trail fiend (but not doubt more than that in the hands of a better rider).

Garry_Lager

The transmitter delivers the fun alright – it’s exceptional for technical riding (both down and up, surprisingly), messing about on. It’s very unexceptional for untechnical riding, to the extent that I’d rather ride my CX bike on normal XC stuff than the transmitter. Reckon it would be a great trail centre bike.
    Not ridden the whyte but it looks more of a sober, versatile build – the transmitter is a bit of a bevvy-merchant.

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re anywhere near an Alpkit shop, you can demo a Transmitter for free I think. I’ve been riding mine – actually a first generation prototype frame – for the last couple of years and it’s brilliant in a slightly bonkers, delinquent sort of way. I run 2.8 front and rear, but I’m going to go 2.6 in the rear once the current

The latest version is supposed to be better and takes a slightly longer fork too, I have a frame sat in a box here, but not built up yet. I haven’t ridden the Whyte, so no idea how they compare. I’m very tempted by the Pace RC627 though.

pampmyride
    Free Member

I ran the mk1 transmitter for 18 months. Thought it ran 3.00 & 2.8 tyres. My first modern geo bike & first new bike for decades…. Rode well & safe & stable handing was fantastic after 15 year old bikes. Then I swapped frame for a Cotic Solaris max steel frame and the difference in ride quality is marked. Smoother everywhere – go steel!!

essexbiker
    Free Member

The Transmitter is a hooligan bike – I rode everything from London to Brighton offroad to Peaks on my v1 – need to get tyre pressures right but it was ace. Now replaced with a short-travel 29er and regretting it

campalumpa
    Free Member

Junior campalumpa (oompalumpa?) has the transmistter carbon – absoluteley loves it.

But… we fitted it with 2.3 tyres (alpkit will do this if you send them the tyres you want fitted). These are an absolute bugger to get off as the rims are designed for wider tyres.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Old Whytes are not the same as new Whytes. Geometry has progressed massively in the last three model-years.

BadlyWiredDog

Then I swapped frame for a Cotic Solaris max steel frame and the difference in ride quality is marked. Smoother everywhere – go steel!!

I wouldn’t say the aluminium Transmitter is harsh tbf. Particularly once you factor in plus-sized tyres, it actually rides surprisingly fluently. I’ve ridden the carbon version too and I’d say that was noticeably stiffer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail battle! Whyte 901 vs Sonder Transmitter’ is closed to new replies.