Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Hardcore Hardtail
  • chubstr
    Free Member

So what constitutes that these days?

I’m thinking Surly Instigator or Cotic BFE, but what else is there?

swanny853

How hardcore? If you’re talking ‘fast in rough terrain’ and I were building one I’d be looking at the new trek stache with normal 29er wheels and 140mm forks. Crazy short chainstays, massive tyre clearance and tensioner if you want to make it really hardcore and go single speed. And if you got bored of that you could turn it back to a 29er plus for more of an all-rounder.

Funnily enough, this is more or less what considering for my next bike.

Also tried a number ros9 a friend had on demo which was good fun. Less versatile though.

shindiggy
    Free Member

PP shan

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2001 Kona Scab

RobHilton
    Free Member

Evil Imperial FTW!

akira

On one 45650b.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes Holeshot or Alpine.

tomhoward

Always was and forever will be, Santa Cruz Chameleon

jambalaya
    Free Member

BFe 275 on sale now, love my 26 version

ontor
    Free Member

I consider my honzo in that category. It’s a monster that’s fun to ride normally but really, really, really likes being taken by the scruff of the neck and hurled at stuff.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m rebuilding my Honzo with 140 forks and an offset headset. It’s a total beast.

More traditionally you’d be looking at something from DMR.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bird Zero.
    Nuke Proof Scout.
    Last Fast Forward.
    Chromag….all of them.

lee170
    Free Member

Santa Cruz chameleon
    Also Orange crush, I have a 2015 crush and it’s mental, 140mm, 27.5

cakefacesmallblock

Canfield ? EPO, or Yelli Sceamy.
    Both 29er.
    I’m seriously considering them.
    Sadly I will shortly have a garage roof to pay for, so might end up at n for a while longer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

BTR ranger looks a lot of fun

nickc

another vote for PP shan. amazing bike.

karlsbug
    Free Member

Any Stanton

honourablegeorge

I’d recommend you check out the Last Fast Forward

Stevet1
    Free Member

is a hardcore hardtail a bit like a gravel bike?

poah
    Free Member

dartmoor hornet or bird am

beano68
    Free Member

That PP Shan looks the dogs bollox ! tempted to bin my spesh enduro for one of those !

Northwind

26 inch Ragley.

thepodge
    Free Member

There has been a bit of a sudden influx of hardcore 29ers so you kind of need to pick a wheelsize. Historically everyone would have gone for 26 but the 29ers are very capable these days

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Jones Plus?

breninbeener

I have a Banshee Paradox 29 but have just bought a PP Shan…not built yet though….still musing fork and build options 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

I like the look of the Yelli Screamy.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Santacruz Chameleon is the only answer to this. Anything else in a cheap imposter.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think the DMR trailstar might like to question that last statement.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Kingdom vendetta, still lovin’ mine

andysredmini
    Free Member

The DMR trailstar is horrible. I don’t care how it rides I couldn’t bring myself to even try one. It looks like the top tube has melted. The dropouts and brake mount look like an afterthought or have been designed by a blind person.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Evil Imperial FTW!

Lol.

My Sovereign is still pretty hardcore, on it’s tiny wheels, with its straight steerer tube.

kayla1
    Free Member

There are a couple of chromo Sunn Tzars (26″, straight steerer) for sale on pinkbike 😀

The new Trailstar looks awful but the original (and the Exalt, I should never have sold the one I had 🙁 ) are lovely things of lovelyness.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Love my Switchback – it’s very capable for a hardtail and is a hoot to ride.

My previous Slackline was great fun too an fun on the local DH tracks (sucked on climbs though because it was too small).

thepodge
    Free Member

andysredmini -The NEW DMR trailstar is horrible. I don’t care how it rides I couldn’t bring myself to even try one. It looks like the top tube has melted. The dropouts and brake mount look like an afterthought or have been designed by a blind person.

Fixed that for you, the old one is pure classic

chiefgrooveguru

Bird Zero AM.

mccraque

nobody’s mentioned the Liteville yet!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d def want 29in wheels as they’re capable of so much more, and the bikes can still be great fun to ride.

Genesis High Latitude looks cool – also Kona Honzo (al or ti) and that Last FF if you wanna get more radical.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I agree the old one was nice in its day. A friend had one, Another friend had a chameleon and I have a cove stiffee. We spent many happy hours riding round looking for things to jump off copying the hucking videos of the time.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Slight intrusion albeit a good one!

I will be advertising a new (7mile blue run old) Surly Instigator 2.0 complete very soon as 4 I cannot justify.
    It is with sadness I will be selling as could tell from it’s initial ride that it is FUN!

Post your email up if you want pics and info.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.