Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Hardcore Hardtail
  • radrob
    Free Member

2 souls quarter horse looks great to

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Allow me!

It’s possibly a bit steep compared the the very latest bikes in the genre.

thepodge
    Free Member

Interesting that so many suggestions are for 29ers.

Its not long ago that they either didn’t exist or you’d be laughed at for even suggesting the concept.

andysredmini
    Free Member

No way would I want a 29er for the kind of fun riding a proper hardcore hardtail is intended for. Without wanting to start another wheelsize debate but every 29er I have tried has been far from fun. Probably very good for pure speed on xc type stuff but far from fun when it gets tight twisty and jumpy.

honourablegeorge

andysredmini – Member
    No way would I want a 29er for the kind of fun riding a proper hardcore hardtail is intended for. Without wanting to start another wheelsize debate but every 29er I have tried has been far from fun. Probably very good for pure speed on xc type stuff but far from fun when it gets tight twisty and jumpy.

I might have agreed with you last week

Seggons
    Free Member

As mentioned, any stanton. All of the stantons. Get a stanton.

chakaping
    Free Member

every 29er I have tried has been far from fun

Tell us which ones you’ve tried.

My 29er (Process 111) is probably the most fun bike I’ve ridden.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Honourablegeorge. Given your recent acquisition, I find your lack of hyperbole disturbing.

Dark-Side

andysredmini – Member

My Alpine Five is the most fun bike I’ve ever owned. It certainly has dealt with twisty and jumpy fine, including the Megavalanche last year.

honourablegeorge

Scienceofficer – Member
    Honourablegeorge. Given your recent acquisition, I find your lack of hyperbole disturbing.

I’m still in new bike honeymoon, and only really had a spin and a half, so reserving judgement a little…. but the thing is bloody ace.

thepodge
    Free Member

andysredmini – No way would I want a 29er for the kind of fun riding a proper hardcore hardtail is intended for.

Its not the bike its the rider.

With the right mindset and skill you could have a hardcore Shopper.

29ers fit me better so I end up riding better.

jameso

2001 Kona Scab

Ha .. the poor man’s Dekerf Implant. I had a Scab for a while. Should’ve kept it, would be a great round-town razzer now.

Northwind

andysredmini – Member

Without wanting to start another wheelsize debate but every 29er I have tried has been far from fun.

Bigwig and Nukeproof Scout are tons of fun So are my 2 big full sussers, Trailfox and Remedy. Big bikes but still agile and tailwaggy.

But I dunno… 29er wheels add capability but one of the things I liked about my Ragley was its limitation, I feel a bit like a 29er hardcore hardtail gets a little bit away from what I like most about them. Not because tehy’re bad but maybe because they’re good.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

But I dunno… 29er wheels add capability but one of the things I liked about my Ragley was its limitation, I feel a bit like a 29er hardcore hardtail gets a little bit away from what I like most about them. Not because tehy’re bad but maybe because they’re good.

Have you ever been accused of overthinking things, NW?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely not a 29er for me. I still hark back to the fact I rarely saw them in Surrey Hills and most certainly not in the Alps. Around flat xc territory yes.

EDIT: apologies for getting sucked into a wheel sized debate. I honestly thought 29 was dead and it was all 275 as the industry is just too embarrassed to go back to 26

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

😕 🙄 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I kind of get what NW is saying, there is one hill near me that I used to let go of the brakes and hold on, now on the hardcore 29er I have to be on the brakes as it frightens the crap out of me how fast its going, or more to the point it frightens the crap out of me how fast I’ll hit the ground when it goes wrong.

jambalaya – I honestly thought 29 was dead

You’re confusing dead with not being pushed as the next big thing

coogan
    Free Member

Dialled Alpine. Such a fabulous wee bike.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Is anyone using a 27+ as a hardcore hardtail? I´ve been getting a bit hardcore on my Orbea Loki recently and have done tens of thousands of meters of uplifted Pyrenees descending in the last few weeks. I´m really, really loving it and it´s amazingly capable.

BillOddie

As mentioned, any stanton Chromag. All of the stantonsChromags. Get a stanton Chromag.

Fixed that for you…

As for 29ers…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That Chromag is a 6.5lb frame!

thepodge
    Free Member

Get bigger legs

BillOddie

What’s your point caller?

chakaping
    Free Member

You’re confusing dead with not being pushed as the next big thing

2017, I reckon.

Chromags don’t usually float my boat, but that Primer looks lovely.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’d be heavier than my full susser!

I like a good hardcore hardtail, but part of the appeal for is that it’s a bit lighter and chuckable than a FS.

chakaping
    Free Member

Your 2 souls does not look light, did you weigh the frame?

matther01
    Free Member

Nicolai argon
    PB’s Pyro’s Swarf

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yeah. The chromag has nearly a pound on it. QH build is 29lbs.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Have you ever been accused of overthinking things, NW?

Brain as big as mine, it’s hard not to 😆 It’s true though, often I’d ride my hardtail because it was less good than my full suss. Same reason I now ride my fatbike where I used to ride my hardtail. It had other advantages as well mind but that was always a biggie.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Brain as big as mine, it’s hard not to It’s true though, often I’d ride my hardtail because it was less good than my full suss. Same reason I now ride my fatbike where I used to ride my hardtail. It had other advantages as well mind but that was always a biggie.

I know what you mean…I think I like the variety too, and the buzz of hitting something on my hardtail that I was a bit nervous doing on the DH bike in the past

honourablegeorge

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member
    Is anyone using a 27+ as a hardcore hardtail? I´ve been getting a bit hardcore on my Orbea Loki recently and have done tens of thousands of meters of uplifted Pyrenees descending in the last few weeks. I´m really, really loving it and it´s amazingly capable.

Doubt I’m “hardcore” in the sense that you are… but starting out on plus and it’s great fun. I do have a longstanding ambition to visit you and do your backcountry trip… when funds/mates/wife are all in agreement.
    When’s the best time of year (next year, probably) for that trip?

kayla1
    Free Member

The older (straight top tube) Chromag Stylus is lovely.

jonnnblue
    Free Member

[list]Just an hour ago i bought an On One 456 Evo 2 raw frame with a few extras. The 26er will never die for hardtailing! 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

Plaid shirt and cut offs FTW! 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

First ride out on my Mk II Ti Switchback.

Happy choppy so far.

The new yoke massively improves tyre clearance and looks great.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Honorablegeorge I don’t want to disrupt this great thread by hawking my wares! Drop me a mail.

I’ve always wanted a Chromag since I saw gordymac from here’s one. The Loki is the first non xc hardtail
    I’ve ever owned though.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve just built a Sonder Transmitter – the Alpkit bike – with 650B+ or whatever it is. Still getting used to it, but it’s brilliant over rocks and rubble even with ‘just’ 120mm up front. Loads of roll over, loads of grip, super confident feel. It’s amazing for holding speed over uneven ground – the frame’s proper slack and composed and a bit Ragley-esque.

I don’t know if it’s a ‘hardcore hardtail’, or what ‘hardcore’ is precisely, I think Alpkit call it a ‘trail hardtail’, but t has definite leanings that way…

metaam
    Free Member

Picked up my new Orange P7 frame today, new long and slack geo and bolt through rear end. Just waiting on the oil to service/lower my Pikes then it’s all systems go! 😛

maxtorque

Mondraker Vantage??

At least you don’t have to look at it when you’re riding it…… 😆

Looks like a lot of bike for the money too.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have an original Chromag stylus that I used to run with a Hammerschmidt and it was/is a lovely ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.